Rare Equations cover question

YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
The (bootleg?) re-issue of Cut Chemist's Rare Equations that you are (were) able to easily pick up everywhere had this cover:Am I right to assume that this was only the cover for the bootleg?I have found one Japanese website showing this cover: Sorry, it's not very big but you can see that it actally says "Cutinclass" at the bottom. Am I right that this is a re-issue as well?Now, I wonder whether I can establish whether have an original. I bought my copy in the OC, I believe in 2002, maybe earlier. It shows the image the japanese website uses minus that red logo on the right side. It says "Cut Chemist" at the top and "Rare Equations" at the bottom of the photo (instead of "Cuttinclass"). Beneath this it says "Hip Hop Vibes" and vertically "HHV". To the left of the image it again says vertically "Cut Chemist" and to the right "(Z=Rare Equations)?". The back cover has some tracklisting and the two discs are CDRs with white laels stickered on. at the top it says "Cut Chemist" and at the bottom "Rare Equations". It says "Disc 1" on the right and "Disc 2" on the left side of the respective discs.Maybe the give away though is that on Disc 2, after "Jackin' Bruce" it features "Cut Chemist takes Westwood Hostage on Capitol FM" which does not seem to be on the blue covered issue shown above.Any knowledge here regarding this release?

Comments

• i seem to remember it being a cassette that was taped off the radio. at least thats what i had. and it was a dub of a dub of a dub. and free.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I have the one with the cover from the 2nd pic. Its definitely an official release and has a real, pressed CD with printed artwork. It reads "new edit to facilitate today's attention span! (formerly rare equations)" on the back.

Sounds like yours might be the low-budge OG and this one is a later official reish/repackage.

• I have the one with the cover from the 2nd pic. Its definitely an official release and has a real, pressed CD with printed artwork. It reads "new edit to facilitate today's attention span! (formerly rare equations)" on the back.

Sounds like yours might be the low-budge OG and this one is a later official reish/repackage.

the 2nd pic is the OG cover. I was in LA during that time, and a good friend got a copy of the tape from Cut personally and that was the cover.

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    It reads "new edit to facilitate today's attention span! (formerly rare equations)" on the back.
    /quote]

That would be because they shortened it to a one CD edition.