Nobel dude says bruthas are "less intelligent"

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Racism relatedBlack People 'Less Intelligent' Scientist ClaimsHere's the relevant portion of the story:One of the world???s most respected scientists is embroiled in an extraordinary row after claiming that black people are less intelligent than white people. James Watson, a Nobel Prize winner for his part in discovering the structure of DNA, has provoked outrage with his comments, made ahead of his arrival in Britain today. ...The 79-year-old geneticist said he was ???inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa??? because ???all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really.". He said he hoped that everyone was equal, but countered that [color:red]???people who have to deal with black employees find this not true???.[/color] Full story here:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2677098.ece?token=null&offset=0Wow, talk about hard evidence.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Lets say there was indisputable scientific proof that women were smarter than men, or short people were smarter than tall people.

Would our society accept it as fact or would they write it off as discrimination??

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Lets say there was indisputable scientific proof that women were smarter than men, or short people were smarter than tall people.

Would our society accept it as fact or would they write it off as discrimination??

Are you really sure you want to play devil's advocate on this
    one? Even his peers are going out of their way to NOT support
    these statements.

Are you really sure you want to play devil's advocate on this
    one? Even his peers are going out of their way to NOT support
    these statements.

I'm not...I think this guy is a quack and his "evidence" is BS.

And he's proof that any idiot can win the Nobel Peace Prize, a fact that we're reminded of repeatedly.

But there are scientific facts that are not accepted by society, and I'm curious if any scientific proof of human superiority would be treated the same way??

• This really blew my mind. This is WATSON of "watson and crick" fame. Also, apparently he's said similarly off-color things about gay people and fat people.

• Also it doesn't help that apparently you can't take a picture of this dude without him looking like a racist zombie in search of large, caucasian brains.

This really blew my mind. This is WATSON of "watson and crick" fame. Also, apparently he's said similarly off-color things about gay people and fat people.

Exactly......guy obviously had some smarts as an early DNA pioneer.....but this shit is ridiculous.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Racism related

Black People 'Less Intelligent' Scientist Claims

Here's the relevant portion of the story:

One of the world???s most respected scientists is embroiled in an extraordinary row after claiming that black people are less intelligent than white people.

James Watson, a Nobel Prize winner for his part in discovering the structure of DNA, has provoked outrage with his comments, made ahead of his arrival in Britain today.

The 79-year-old geneticist said he was ???inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa??? because ???all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really.". He said he hoped that everyone was equal, but countered that [color:red]???people who have to deal with black employees find this not true???.[/color]

Full story here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2677098.ece?token=null&offset=0

Wow, talk about hard evidence.

Hey,

I find it interesting that hereditarian types (e.g., people who believe genetics underlie group differences in intelligence) like Dr. Watson, J. Phillippe Rushton, Hans Eysenck, and Arthur Jensen conveniently forget about the role of environment in racial-ethnic differences in intelligence. Voluminous research, even my own, finds that racial-ethnic differences in mental ability, disfavoring Blacks, are diminished when you account for socioeconomic status differences between groups. Recent National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) study results also show markedly diminished racial differences in academic achievement, a strong correlate of mental ability. In addition, recent norms of the major intelligence tests such as the Weschler and Stanford-Binet show reduced Black-White mean differences in scores. These latter two findings owe to, imagine this, increased access to education that has occurred across the last 2 generations. Plus, those guys can never explain people like me, high ability, high achieving Blacks, but consideration of my ascribed status can.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    This dude is the biggest fraud, bigot, pig scientist I have ever heard of!!!

All of his "Award winning work" was stolen from a one Rosalind Franklin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosalind_Franklin)
    A close friend of mine is a geneticist woman who has railed against this dude forever.

Listen to the nice things he had to say about the woman that won him the prize:

By choice she did not emphasize her feminine qualities. . . . There was never lipstick to contrast with her straight black hair, while at the age of thirty-one her dresses showed all the imagination of English blue-stocking adolescents. So it was quite easy to imagine her the product of an unsatisfied mother who unduly stressed the desirability of professional careers that could save bright girls from marriages to dull men. . . . Clearly Rosy had to go or be put in her place. The former was obviously preferable because, given her belligerent moods, it would be very difficult for Maurice [Wilkins] to maintain a dominant position that would allow him to think unhindered about DNA. . . . The thought could not be avoided that the best home for a feminist was in another person's lab.

• "I also believe white brains to be 200% larger and more tasty than those of the negro....
    mmm.... brains....."[/b]

"I also believe white brains to be 200% larger and more tasty than those of the negro....
    mmm.... brains....."[/b]

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This dude is the biggest fraud, bigot, pig scientist I have ever heard of!!!

All of his "Award winning work" was stolen from a one Rosalind Franklin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosalind_Franklin)
    A close friend of mine is a geneticist woman who has railed against this dude forever.

Listen to the nice things he had to say about the woman that won him the prize:

By choice she did not emphasize her feminine qualities. . . . There was never lipstick to contrast with her straight black hair, while at the age of thirty-one her dresses showed all the imagination of English blue-stocking adolescents. So it was quite easy to imagine her the product of an unsatisfied mother who unduly stressed the desirability of professional careers that could save bright girls from marriages to dull men. . . . Clearly Rosy had to go or be put in her place. The former was obviously preferable because, given her belligerent moods, it would be very difficult for Maurice [Wilkins] to maintain a dominant position that would allow him to think unhindered about DNA. . . . The thought could not be avoided that the best home for a feminist was in another person's lab.

I was afraid no one would point this out. It has long been shown that Watson and Crick stole most of their Pulitzer work from Franklin. The rest of Watson's career has been distinguished only by his steady stream of racist and sexists statements.

I don't know why he is still around.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Racism related

One of the world???s most respected scientists is embroiled in an extraordinary row after claiming that black people are less intelligent than white people.

James Watson, a Nobel Prize winner for his part in discovering the structure of DNA, has provoked outrage with his comments, made ahead of his arrival in Britain today.

The 79-year-old geneticist said he was ???inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa??? because ???all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really.". He said he hoped that everyone was equal, but countered that [color:red]???people who have to deal with black employees find this not true???.[/color]

Full story here:

Hey,

I find it interesting that hereditarian types (e.g., people who believe genetics underlie group differences in intelligence) like Dr. Watson, J. Phillippe Rushton, Hans Eysenck, and Arthur Jensen conveniently forget about the role of environment in racial-ethnic differences in intelligence. Voluminous research, even my own, finds that racial-ethnic differences in mental ability, disfavoring Blacks, are diminished when you account for socioeconomic status differences between groups. Recent National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) study results also show markedly diminished differences in racial differences in academic achievement, a strong correlate of mental ability. In addition, recent norms of the major intelligence tests such as the Weschler and Stanford-Binet show reduced Black-White mean differences in scores. These latter two findings owe to, imagine this, increased access to education that has occurred across that last 2 generations. Plus, those guys can never explain people like me, a high ability, high achieving Black, but consideration of my ascribed status can.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

you used a lot of big words in that poast, stacks... you know dam well you don't know what most of them mean. no dis intended... i don't know what they mean either.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Racism related

Full story here:

Hey,

I find it interesting that hereditarian types (e.g., people who believe genetics underlie group differences in intelligence) like Dr. Watson, J. Phillippe Rushton, Hans Eysenck, and Arthur Jensen conveniently forget about the role of environment in racial-ethnic differences in intelligence. Voluminous research, even my own, finds that racial-ethnic differences in mental ability, disfavoring Blacks, are diminished when you account for socioeconomic status differences between groups. Recent National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) study results also show markedly diminished differences in racial differences in academic achievement, a strong correlate of mental ability. In addition, recent norms of the major intelligence tests such as the Weschler and Stanford-Binet show reduced Black-White mean differences in scores. These latter two findings owe to, imagine this, increased access to education that has occurred across that last 2 generations. Plus, those guys can never explain people like me, a high ability, high achieving Black, but consideration of my ascribed status can.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

you used a lot of big words in that poast, stacks... you know dam well you don't know what most of them mean. no dis intended... i don't know what they mean either.

Yeah, according to Dr. Watson, I'm not intelligent enough to know what the words mean. I imagine when he dies, Watson can have lunch with Cyril Burt, Sir Francis Galton, Hans Eysenck, and Cesare Lombroso in that place where bigoted, pseudo-scientists spend eternity.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Racism related

Full story here:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah, according to Dr. Watson, I'm not intelligent enough to know what the words mean. I imagine when he dies, Watson can have lunch with Cyril Burt, Sir Francis Galton, Hans Eysenck, and Cesare Lombroso in that place where bigoted, pseudo-scientists spend eternity.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

what's really sad, man, is that this guy is not some lone wacko with this viewpoint. i'm hesitant to say that most people feel the same way just based on their own prejudices and ignorance, but i have no problem with saying a whoooooole lot of muthaf+++as totally agree with dude whether they say it publicly or not. what's really REALLY sad is that a lot of black folks also feel that we are not supposed to be as intelligent as white people. well, all i know is that i have known many many black and white and other colored peoples in my long legged life and i honestly believe that 99.5% of them all were dumber than me.

Racism related

Full story here:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

what's really sad, man, is that this guy is not some lone wacko with this viewpoint. i'm hesitant to say that most people feel the same way just based on their own prejudices and ignorance, but i have no problem with saying a whoooooole lot of muthaf+++as totally agree with dude whether they say it publicly or not. what's really REALLY sad is that a lot of black folks also feel that we are not supposed to be as intelligent as white people. well, all i know is that i have known many many black and white and other colored peoples in my long legged life and i honestly believe that 99.5% of them all were dumber than me.

Sadly, Phill, research agrees with your points. Check these out:

Plous, S., & Williams, T. (1995). Racial stereotypes from the days of American slavery. A continuing legacy. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 25, 795-817.

Sigelman, L., & Tuch, S. A. (1997). Metastereotypes: Blacks' perceptions of Whites' stereotypes of Blacks. Public Opinion Quarterly, 61, 87-101.

Snyderman, M., & Rothman, S. (1987). Survey of expert opinion on intelligence and aptitude tesing. American Psychology, 42, 137-144.

Also, research from the recent General Social Surveys (GSS; a national stratified survey sampling of Americans' social attitudes), as late as 2006, show a large percentage of Whites to endorse negative stereotypes about Blacks' intelligence and motivation. I have GSS data from 1972-2006 on my computer!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

Hey,

I find it interesting that hereditarian types (e.g., people who believe genetics underlie group differences in intelligence) like Dr. Watson, J. Phillippe Rushton, Hans Eysenck, and Arthur Jensen conveniently forget about the role of environment in racial-ethnic differences in intelligence. Voluminous research, even my own, finds that racial-ethnic differences in mental ability, disfavoring Blacks, are diminished when you account for socioeconomic status differences between groups. Recent National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) study results also show markedly diminished racial differences in academic achievement, a strong correlate of mental ability. In addition, recent norms of the major intelligence tests such as the Weschler and Stanford-Binet show reduced Black-White mean differences in scores. These latter two findings owe to, imagine this, increased access to education that has occurred across the last 2 generations. Plus, those guys can never explain people like me, a high ability, high achieving Blacks, but consideration of my ascribed status can.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

I find it interesting that hereditarian types (e.g., people who believe genetics underlie group differences in intelligence) like Dr. Watson, J. Phillippe Rushton, Hans Eysenck, and Arthur Jensen conveniently forget about the role of environment in racial-ethnic differences in intelligence. Voluminous research, even my own, finds that racial-ethnic differences in mental ability, disfavoring Blacks, are diminished when you account for socioeconomic status differences between groups. Recent National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) study results also show markedly diminished racial differences in academic achievement, a strong correlate of mental ability. In addition, recent norms of the major intelligence tests such as the Weschler and Stanford-Binet show reduced Black-White mean differences in scores. These latter two findings owe to, imagine this, increased access to education that has occurred across the last 2 generations. Plus, those guys can never explain people like me, a high ability, high achieving Blacks, but consideration of my ascribed status can.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

To add on, socioeconomic status even explains within-racial group differences in average IQ scores, regardless of the group considered. Poor kids, not surpisingly in the least, earn lower scores than their same-race, more affluent counterparts. So, that's why my inner-city, Baltimore cousins would pick on my brother and I for sounding so "White." We went to Montgomery County Schools (MD) in the late 70's, some of the best schools in the nation at that time. My cousins, on the other hand, got the garden-variety, substandard, "urban" education. Not surprisingly, these cats became convicts, drug addicts, AIDS victims, etc., quite different pathways than those taken by my brother and I. Anyway, Stephen Ceci's work found that school attendance among Appalachian Whites was one of the strongest predictors of their IQ scores. A lot of kids missed school for farming, domestic chore-type duties and they saw notable gains in IQ scores when their school attendance increased. More evidence for environment is shown in Scarr & Weinberg's research (1978 and 1993 with a 3rd author whose name escapes me right now). They found that inner-city Blacks who were adopted by high-socioeconomic White parents displayed an average IQ test score improvement of 15 points. Similarly, the Abecedarian (sp?) project in North Carolina (Campbell & Ramey, 1994) showed that at-risk Black kids who were exposed to an educational intervention at the pre-school level (like Head-Start, in contrast to Arthur Jensen's damning critiques of such programs in 1969) evidenced IQ gains that persisted for 12 years after the intervention. The social/educational context people find themselves in has a strong bearing on IQ, academic achievement, life success, mortality, etc. Nurture is just as important, or more so, than nature.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm impressed at the collective Strut's ability to avoid taking the troll bait in this thread.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Why even post this stupidity.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Post-Imus America.

We get more outraged over statements of racism vs. the persistence of racism.

Post-Imus America.

We get more outraged over statements of racism vs. the persistence of racism.

I feel you. But this is just Mythology.

Knowing who to respond to vs. some circus act.

Hanging Knooses on Professor Doors > "Nobel" winner's askewed mathmatics.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm impressed at the collective Strut's ability to avoid taking the troll bait in this thread.

Do we still not have a Rock Logic graemlin?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    genetic distinctions between races(skin color, bone density, muscle structure ect) are a scientific reality. I don't know if watson is racist, he might be, but it is so obvious that his claim is not ispo facto racist that I knew I would have to point it out before I even entered the thread. It was orwell who said that 'to see what is in front of your own nose requires a constant struggle'. That struggle is made more the harder if your nose is routinely lodged in your asshole.

sincerely,

your moms

- spidey

Do we still not have a Rock Logic graemlin?

Here's some Rock Logic for you....

There are "X" amount of racist/bigoted people in the world and no amount of scientific data, common sense or logic is going to change these folks.

Then there are the people, including myself, that believe all people are created equal other than physical and mental disabilities.

We believe in this so strongly that no data, scientific or otherwise is going to change our minds.

In order to stay true to this belief we won't accept any study that shows differences in human intelligence based on sex/race/height/etc. because if we do, it opens up a Pandora's box of questions and possibilities.

This is not unlike a Christian not believing the scientific data about Evolution because it would call their entire belief system into question.

I'm open minded enough to look in the mirror and ask myself this question.

I didn't think posing it here would be "illogical", unless you don't want your beliefs scrutinized in any way.

genetic distinctions between races(skin color, bone density, muscle structure ect) are a scientific reality.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The 79-year-old geneticist said he was ???inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa??? because ???all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really."

Well you certainly deserve a nobel price to put this much bullshit into just one sentence.

First of all, intelligence is a widely overrated feature that doesnt mean shit if you dont have the spirit and common decency to do something with you intelligence that actually matters. Im saying that matters in a good way!
    Ive met my share of just plain dumb idiots who were bragging about their IQ results...

Theres way too many old white dudes who think they can hand out valid opinions on the prospects of Africa who instead should look into finding themselves a new field to erect some selfimportance that eventually, no-one will ever give a shit about anyway.

Shit like this really gets me fuming and I think I rather get out and have a cold beer now than waste any more thought or time on this. But really... ah, I wont even start to seriously get into this, Id still be typing tomorrow. jesus Frickin' christ...

"Intelligence is on cars...." - Willie D.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

To add on, socioeconomic status even explains within-racial group differences in average IQ scores, regardless of the group considered. Poor kids, not surpisingly in the least, earn lower scores than their same-race, more affluent counterparts. So, that's why my inner-city, Baltimore cousins would pick on my brother and I for sounding so "White." We went to Montgomery County Schools (MD) in the late 70's, some of the best schools in the nation at that time. My cousins, on the other hand, got the garden-variety, substandard, "urban" education. Not surprisingly, these cats became convicts, drug addicts, AIDS victims, etc., quite different pathways than those taken by my brother and I. Anyway, Stephen Ceci's work found that school attendance among Appalachian Whites was one of the strongest predictors of their IQ scores. A lot of kids missed school for farming, domestic chore-type duties and they saw notable gains in IQ scores when their school attendance increased. More evidence for environment is shown in Scarr & Weinberg's research (1978 and 1993 with a 3rd author whose name escapes me right now). They found that inner-city Blacks who were adopted by high-socioeconomic White parents displayed an average IQ test score improvement of 15 points. Similarly, the Abecedarian (sp?) project in North Carolina (Campbell & Ramey, 1994) showed that at-risk Black kids who were exposed to an educational intervention at the pre-school level (like Head-Start, in contrast to Arthur Jensen's damning critiques of such programs in 1969) evidenced IQ gains that persisted for 12 years after the intervention. The social/educational context people find themselves in has a strong bearing on IQ, academic achievement, life success, mortality, etc. Nurture is just as important, or more so, than nature.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Thanks for posting this. It is clear some people are not reading what you write, or are too set in their beliefs to comprehend what you are writing.

You talk about environmental effect on iq scores in your posts. What you have not mentioned is these studies also show that iq tests do not test inherent intelligence. They instead test things like; test taking skills, learned knowledge, culture based logic (a is to b...), and other knowledge and skill sets that have nothing to do with intelligence.

Best I know, to date, no one has found an "intelligence" gene. Until one is found we wont know which racial groups are more likely to have it present.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Also it doesn't help that apparently you can't take a picture of this dude without him looking like a racist zombie in search of large, caucasian brains.

equinsu ocha[/b]