Scorpio Distribution...bootlegs???

DWJDWJ 14 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I was browsing through the LP's at Rasputin's recently and it seems like almost all the rare and semi-rare soul, funk, latin, jazz and jazz-funk LP's have been reissued and are distributed by Scorpio. I find it hard to believe that they are all legit. Even stranger was that there were dollar bin commons like Diana Ross and later Azymuth Lp's also with Scorpio stickers but had saw marks. Anyone know the deal?

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    isnt it common knowledge at this point that most of these are bootlegs?

• DWJDWJ 14 Posts
    i assumed that but i am impressed at the scale of it all. Rasputins has like 10 stores with 1000's of these things at each one...and who knows which other stores(Amoeba, Streetlight, etc.). it just seems like some artist or lawyer would have noticed by now. mostly im just pissed that i have to dig through 30 reissues/boots to find one original LP.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Was this like your first trip to a major record shop or something?

i have to dig through 30 reissues/boots to find one original LP.

i seeeeeriously hate this shit. stores need to have two sections. "new" and "used".

it just seems like some artist or lawyer would have noticed by now.

anybody know how they get away with this?

The major stuff is not bootleg.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

my impression was the ones with the stickers that say "made by scorpio for rhino records" were legit and the rest weren't...

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Are you sure about this?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

Are you sure about this?

I can remember these guys showing up a record show in jersey a few years back and unloading about 20 crates full of their releases. everything from axelrod to the latin love in, to ray baretto and more. i don't know how they get away with it, but for $3-5 for regulars and $6-8 for the 180g vinyl, they were . it didn't hurt that some woman with a huge rack and hot pants was helping to sell them. are they legit releases? i'd like to know.

• I'd like to know the story behind their Stonewall reish; it's a super-rare hard rock release on Tiger Lily.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

Are you sure about this?

I can remember these guys showing up a record show in jersey a few years back and unloading about 20 crates full of their releases. everything from axelrod to the latin love in, to ray baretto and more. i don't know how they get away with it, but for $3-5 for regulars and $6-8 for the 180g vinyl, they were . it didn't hurt that some woman with a huge rack and hot pants was helping to sell them. are they legit releases? i'd like to know.

raritan 1999
    i was there for that

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I always thought that they were boots but that labels didn't care because its on wax. I'm surprised that they put out the James Brown stuff without any problem, though.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I always thought that they were boots but that labels didn't care because its on wax. I'm surprised that they put out the James Brown stuff without any problem, though.

Are you sure about this?

I don't think they even manufacture the really ubiquitous stuff like James Brown or Dylan or Sun Ra, just distribute it. For example, I've been told that the Columbia & Capitol stuff is actually pressed by Columbia & Capitol. The smaller label stuff might be a whole different story though.

Yeah, but there's tons of it. There must be 10's of thousands of the James Brown reissues alone. Who's going to turn a blind eye to that?