Stevie Wonder - Talkbox Related Question

jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So this stevie video of him annihilating papa was a rolling stone has been posted to death:

And it has been reported that stevie influenced zapp & roger to use the talk box, are there stevie releases that he uses the talkbox on? (other than music of my mind)?

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Rocktron Banshee

I got one of these a while ago and the learning curve on it was kind of a bitch. I still don't have it down too good, but that shit is fun.

Anyone know the best way to record one of these? I got a ton of static when I tried (taped to the mic stand, etc.).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    are there stevie releases that he uses the talkbox on? (other than music of my mind)?

I think RaceBabbling has a talkbox. Plus some other tracks.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this is the shit to me

• I've mentioned this before, but i'll say it again:

When I saw dude recently in concert homeboy busted out the talkbox and did

1). Heard it through the grapevine

and

BILLIE JEAN..

ooooooouuuughhhhhhhaaaaaa

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    He uses it on the Syreeta LP on the Beatles She's leaving home cover. Jeff Beck uses it for his Stevie cover of superstition.

- spidey

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Much thanks for the

• are there stevie releases that he uses the talkbox on? (other than music of my mind)?

I think RaceBabbling has a talkbox.

confirmed

• how does the talkbox work? I know the sound of it and i see that tube thing, i'm just curious how the vocal, tube thing input, instrument (keyboard/guitar), and vocal mic all mix.

or is that a "take that shit to tapeop.com" question.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    wondering the same thing. I thought with a talk box you didnt need a mic - i figured your keyboard plugged into it, the tube modified it, then it has an output to bring the sound wherever. I guess this isnt the case. What are the advantages over a vocoder? Why does it need a tube AND a mic?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    There is this west coast producer named Fingazz thats known for the talk box. from the shit I heard he's pretty good at it. I heard it can fuck up your jaw or something like that....?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    wondering the same thing. I thought with a talk box you didnt need a mic - i figured your keyboard plugged into it, the tube modified it, then it has an output to bring the sound wherever. I guess this isnt the case. What are the advantages over a vocoder? Why does it need a tube AND a mic?
    doesnt need a tube and a mic, its just that the tube is taped to the mic so the singer can use it and do his vocals when s/he wants. It makes it easy to slip into your mouth (PAUSE) while its on the stand.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You only need a mic if you want to record it. It basically pushes the sound you want to modify (keyboard, guitar, etc.) into your mouth, then you use your lips, tongue and throat to manipulate the sound while you're playing the instrument.
    You need a mic to pick up the sound coming out of your mouth because it doesn't re-route the sound back out to an amplifier.

When activated, the sound from the amplifier is reproduced by the speaker in the talkbox and directed through the tube into the performer's mouth. The shape of the mouth filters the sound, with the modified sound being picked up by the microphone.

I think I had it turned up too high or something when I recorded today. There was still lot of air still coming out of the tube even when nothing was being played. I'll have to mess with it I guess. Anybody else have one of these?

• thanks for the wiki

i had to make a slight edit though, someone called Lipps Inc "Hot Lips Inc"

• this is the shit to me

He must be using an expression pedal for the vibrato.

If you look carefully, he keeps moving his hand over to the left, and just before it cuts to the CU (which is just after the most obvious vibrato) you can see his hand off to the left of the keyboard, suggesting its a vibrato wheel on the keys maybe?

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Wait, What!!!??!? so it pumps the sound into your mouth and you shape it? the sound comes out of your mouth like your speaking? Thats amazing. You must feel like a funky robot when using it. Way cooler than a vocoder.

How long have you had it, Day? What makes the learning curve sharp?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"Like We DOOOOooooooooooo......"

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    HIs pronunciation is funny... ocTAVE... vie-brae-toe.... you can tell he learned his theory from a book. Not a dis, just noticing.

• "Like We DOOOOooooooooooo......"

"Bob Mayo...Bob Mayon on the keyboards...Bob Mayo!!!!"

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Build a talkbox from a toilet plunger and tube. DIY.