Ray Charles - I Believe It To My Soul (?)

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
What LP did this originally appear on?

Comments

• Also if there are any Ray Charles LP's that y'all can recommend, please do so. I've never really known where to start when it comes to his music, and still haven't gotten into it

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    the one with the shades on the cover. stein. .

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    is that the one with the break?

• the one with the shades on the cover. stein. .

f'real though, someone come through with a schooling

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    the one with the shades is called "throught the eyes of love" yes killer braek on there. and "my kind of jazz" is also good. has BOOTY BUTT. but theres a cooler version by dick hyman. peace, stein. . .

• the one with the shades is called "throught the eyes of love" yes killer braek on there. and "my kind of jazz" is also good. has BOOTY BUTT. but theres a cooler version by dick hyman. peace, stein. . .
    Actually, that's the only Ray Charles record I own I'm really anxious to get into his music, especially his older stuff, but I don't know where to start. Someone come through and drop knowledge !!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If you buy any of his OG's on Atlantic, you're not going to be disappointed.

• If you buy any of his OG's on Atlantic, you're not going to be disappointed.
    How's his "Impulse!" stuff? Also if you don't mind, what are some of the titles on Atlantic?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Except Twisting With, which pitches up his 50s sides for your twist party.

For real don't worry about titles on the Atlantic stuff just by it. Unless you are buying original 50s black or green labels they should be under $15.00 and later 60s - 70s reissues should be under $10.00, so just scoop them up.

I absolutly love Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music Vol 1 + 2.

Is there something other Genius + Soul = Jazz on Impulse? Thats a great record, Count Basie's orchestra, Quincy Jones arrangemets, Ray at the piano.

Any hits collection on ABC are good to get.

Those 2 with the breaks are weak albums outside of the breaks. His 70s albums are mostly one and two trackers.

Dan

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "I Believe To My Soul," originally a single, made its' first LP appearance on The Genius Sings The Blues in 1960.

Except Twisting With, which pitches up his 50s sides for your twist party.

Why would this be a disappointment? I'm assuming the music is the same, it's just the packaging that sucks, right? Unless they did some overdubbing or something...

For real don't worry about titles on the Atlantic stuff just by it.

He was at his unchallenged best on Atlantic, but some of those records are straight instrumental jazz and at least one (The Genius Of Ray Charles) is lush ballads. So, it's not a case of "buyer beware!" so much as a heads-up, depending on which flavor of Ray you want.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    His '75 LP, "Renaissance" on Crossover has a version of "Living For The City". Dave Braithwaite, the guy who did arrangement on Ray's Los Angeles-based Tangerine output, is a name I look out for

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    His '75 LP, "Renaissance" on Crossover has a version of "Living For The City".

That album is surprisingly good. Ray just took "L.I.T.C." to CHURCH. Between this song and his appearance in The Blues Brothers, I believe to my soul that Ray could do anything with a Fender Rhodes except open up a can of beans. And he was probably working on that.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    His '75 LP, "Renaissance" on Crossover has a version of "Living For The City".

That album is surprisingly good. Ray just took "L.I.T.C." to CHURCH. Between this song and his appearance in The Blues Brothers, I believe to my soul that Ray could do anything with a Fender Rhodes except open up a can of beans. And he was probably working on that.

What a hard song to cover, and he does a great version.