"Devil's Playground" (Documentary Strut)

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Just watched this documentary:It follows a group of Amish teens through a period known as Rumspringa:Rumspringa is a traditional rite of passage in the Amish religious denomination, and describes a period lasting months or years during which adolescents are released from the church and its rules. The custom is said to be part of the Amish belief that only informed adults can "accept Christ" and be baptized, along with the belief that the unbaptized cannot enter heaven.These kids wile out--drinking, drugs and more. It's a really fascinating movie. Any former Amish here on the Strut? After watching this movie, it wouldn't surprise me.What good documentaries have you seen lately? I wanna check out OKIE NOODLING.

Comments

• A girl I used to hang out with in high school had Amish parents who left their group too live with the english. She was a really cool girl, we used to party at her house when her folks went away. My step father is a builder and had some Amish guys one one of his crews. He had to fire them because they were always coked up and did really shitty work.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I agree, truly fascinating film -- immediately devoured the bonus features after the film, which I don't often do. It's fascinating to think that every Amish adult you see has been through "our" world, I never knew this until watching the doc.

Can't remember if it was w/in the film or on the bonus features, but I loved the old dude whose one regret about choosing an Amish life was missing his Led Zep (I think?) records.

Also, I remember one of the Amish women being breathtakingly beautiful. Anyone with me on this?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'll have to look for this. It seems like a pretty good practice. Most groups just say believe or die, at least the Amish give you a chance to check out the other side. I lived in a city with an Amish town about 15 miles away and we used to see all the kids come and party when they went through this "phase". They would bust out the blue jeans and tie one on!

• Yeah, I enjoyed that a lot. Recommended.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    at least the Amish give you a chance to check out the other side.

right, but you cannt be in our world for too long ('Rumspringa' has a time limit). And if you choose stay out, there is usually never going back into the community. Bringing a whole new definition to 'you cant go home again'.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    This is one of those movies that while you watch it the whole time you are thinking "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE SHITTING ME."

• DWJDWJ 14 Posts
    Totally recommended. Best part is when dude who snitched is going through a meth binge and starts hallucinating. I knew about their party phase but what surprised me was that Amish parents let boys come over for some "heavy petting" with their daughters .

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Just watched one called Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus. I thought it was dope. Okie Noodling is the shit. Drop what your doing now and go get it!

What good documentaries have you seen lately? I wanna check out OKIE NOODLING.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I wanna check out OKIE NOODLING.

As a fisherman, this film pissed me off.
    Anyone that has eaten larger catfish knows they taste like shit and I'm just not down with killing for sport.

I wanna check out OKIE NOODLING.

As a fisherman, this film pissed me off.
    Anyone that has eaten larger catfish knows they taste like shit and I'm just not down with killing for sport.

Yea, catfish are bottom feeders so even a good one tastes like mud. This falls in with the whole trophy hunting "mine is bigger than your" macho stuff. But then again, people eat road kill so who knows!?!?!?!?!

• good film
    the barn scene where all the kids show up to get drunk and see whats up is
    cinema greatness
    meth head amish == post modern stuff.
    gun toting amish selling drugs and dodging cops is wild.
    movie is straight crazy
    shit the pic on the cover is wild

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    A few years ago there was a huge bust in Lancaster County where a group of Amish on the Rumspringa linked up with Hells Angels and they basically became the biggest coke running ring in that part of the country. Crazy shit.

• Yeah, I enjoyed that a lot. Recommended.

• I need to check that out...

I just rented this Rocky Erikson doc the other night and was really entertained/moved.

Just wish the extras had full performances of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators. I never knew they appeared on American Bandstand.

I just rented this Rocky Erikson doc the other night and was really entertained/moved.

I watched this recently as well and will give it the ol'

• I need to check that out...

Just wish the extras had full performances of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators. I never knew they appeared on American Bandstand.

great film...the moment I really felt for Roky in the film is where this "come back" gig was booked and they lied to him and told him they were taking him to a candy store and they just opened the stage door, which he thought was a store, and basically pushed him out on stage. The expression on that mans face was one of pure confusion and fright...poor guy.

Anyone have an update on how Roky's doing beyond what Wikipedia can tell me? Apparently his live shows have been great, anyone seen em?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Anyone have an update on how Roky's doing beyond what Wikipedia can tell me? Apparently his live shows have been great, anyone seen em?

Saw him play the Conroe Cajun Catfish Festival last Friday.
    No this isn't a joke.

He did two 13th FLR ELVTRS songs and the rest his OG material post 13th. Show was great if you like his solo workings. I also saw him play some party a couple years ago. One of the first shows he did post recluso.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Saw him play the Conroe Cajun Catfish Festival last Friday.
    No this isn't a joke.

Bet cho azz it ain't.

thanks!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I saw Roky in Dallas on his 60th birthday and his performance was great. He seemed happier and more coherent than any other time I'd seen him over the last 25 years.

Ate breakfast next to him at Cafe Brazil after the show and he was outgoing and friendly.... a far cry from the shuffling, head down, signing autographs for cigarette mess he was the first time I met him in the early 80's.

The movie is touching and sad.....and gave me the impression that almost no one could have lived the life he lived, with the family he had, and not come out towing tons of emotional baggage.

They played the movie before Roky hit the stage and seeing that he had survived and was now happy after having just watched the depression that was his life story was almost tear inducing.

I dare anyone to listen to his first record with the Spades, "You're Gonna Miss Me/We Sell Soul" from '65 and not recognize the genius and influence that is Roky Erickson.

Seattle.......About 7 years ago a friend of mine walked into work and said "I just saw Roky E reading an upside down newspaper on a park bench!" I thought he was kidding but he was dead serious and his music knowledge is unbelieveable. He took a college class on the history of soul music and used to correct the professor on the names of soul singers husbands and wives.