FAVORITE MODAL JAZZ ALBUM...

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Post your favorite Modal Jazz album(s)(from wikipedia):An understanding of modal jazz requires knowledge of musical modes. In bebop as well as in hard bop, musicians used chords to provide the background for their solos. A song would start out with a theme, which would introduce the chords used for the solos. These chords would be repeated throughout the whole song, while the soloists would play new, improvised themes over the repeated chord progression. By the 1950s, improvising over chords had become such a dominant part of jazz, that sidemen at recording dates were sometimes given nothing more than a list of chords to play from. Creating innovative solos became exceedingly difficult.In the later 1950s, spurred by the experiments of composer and bandleader George Russell, musicians began using a modal approach. They chose not to write their songs using chords, but instead used modal scales. This meant that the bassist, for instance, did not have to 'walk' from one important note of a chord to that of another - as long as he stayed in the scale being used and accentuated the right notes within the scale, he could go virtually everywhere. The pianist, to give another example, would not have to play the same chords or variations of the chords, but could do anything, as long as he stayed within the scale being used. The overall result was more freedom of expression.In fact, the way that a soloist creates a solo changed dramatically with the advent of modal jazz. Before, the goal of a soloist was to play a solo that fit into a set of chords. However, with modal jazz, a soloist must create a melody in one scale (typically), which could be potentially boring for the listener. Therefore, the goal of the musician was now to make the melody as interesting as possible. Modal jazz was, in essence, a return to melody.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    No contest.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

This is probably the only album that fully let me understand what modal jazz was. Coltrane really owns this.

In case anyone needs to be reminded.

- spidey

• No contest.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    that coltrane video was beautiful

i been listenin to that spirit free plays starship quite a bit lately
    i love that joint. i think thats a modal jazz album

• Grachan Moncur is very underated as a modal pioneer...dude took shit to another level

• This is probably the only album that fully let me understand what modal jazz was. Coltrane really owns this.

In case anyone needs to be reminded.

- spidey

Thanks a lot for this! Tears almost came!

• I just pulled a few out that are modal or have a modal feel, there's endless bluenote, impulse, strata east... but I have no order in my racks and I can't be arsed to go on - can't find the likes of Coltrane - Crescent or Joe Henderson - Inner Urge, etc which I think are classics of the genre along with fav things, kinda blue...

• I just pulled a few out that are modal or have a modal feel, there's endless bluenote, impulse, strata east... but I have no order in my racks and I can't be arsed to go on - can't find the likes of Coltrane - Crescent or Joe Henderson - Inner Urge, etc which I think are classics of the genre along with fav things, kinda blue...

Nice list of course. Turkish women at the bath isn't the "biggest item" up there but it is very serious indeed.

I will trade you a copy of joe henderson for "companionship," cool? Then you could find it!

• B/W - I have a copy of "hip walk" in the mail and have been neurotically checking my mailbox for it....

• Post deleted by anthonypearson

• No contest.

i heard this at barnes and noble last night. PLAYED OUT

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    ap on the real id be interested to know what modal jazz lp you play the most

• i was just dicking around about the starbucks jazz greats CD shit. my favorite jazz artist is john coltrane. i like this impulse material the best. i like joe henderson, herbie hancock, wayne shorter, sam rivers... i like kind of blue. it reminds me of shopping at banana republic. thats really great.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    No contest.

i heard this at barnes and noble last night. PLAYED OUT

Did that just happen?

Timeless music is incapable of being 'played out'.

• YO SON YOUR ASS IS DISCONNECTED FROM THE STREETS. I WOULD RATHER LISTEN TO PULSE CD COMP FEATURING SNAP RHYTHM IS A DANCER. DEAL.

• HAVE FUN AT BARNES AND NOBLES DUDE. YOU PROBOBLY READ DEAN KOONITZ THRILLER NOVELS TO. DONT BURN MY ASS IN PUBLIC NOODLES.

• I'm with the typographically loud and outspoken a.pearson. Kind of Blue doesn't get play. Joe Henderson, sure. It's the bob marley effect. New kid proteus' spread is definitely nice however. Please to send Hum Dono!

• DO YOU LIKE LISTENING TO THE ROLLING STONES SATISFACTION? I DONT. BARNES AND NOBLES JAZZ BRUNS MY ASSHAIR. I DONT WANT NO LEATHER ARMCHAIR PSUDOSOPHSTICATION BULLSHIT. THIS THREAD IS BURNING MY ASS RIGHT NOW.

• DO YOU LIKE LISTENING TO THE ROLLING STONES SATISFACTION? I DONT. BARNES AND NOBLES JAZZ BRUNS MY ASSHAIR. I DONT WANT NO LEATHER ARMCHAIR PSUDOSOPHSTICATION BULLSHIT. THIS THREAD IS BURNING MY ASS RIGHT NOW.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    DO YOU LIKE LISTENING TO THE ROLLING STONES SATISFACTION?

IT SOUNDS BETTER IN UNBOXED MONO SHEFFIELD PLANT PRESSING WITH LOW STAMPER NUMBER

DEAL

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• at Proteus - those picks are a combination of stuff i have and stuff ive been trying to hunt down for eaons dude!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

some of the (more or less) modal jazz highlights of my collection:

Joki Freund - Jogi Jazz
    Nathan Davis - HipWalk
    Gunter Hampel - Heartplants
    Sahib Shihab - Jazz Sahib
    Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland - Latin Kaleidoscope/all blues/all smiles..

i would kill for a copy of james tatum..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yes, Mr Mclean has to be the one for me

• i'm disputing the 'modality' of at least SOME of the records in this thread... it's a bit of a trick question though- even Kind of Blue isn't entirely modal. nice pictures though

• i'm disputing the 'modality' of at least SOME of the records in this thread... it's a bit of a trick question though- even Kind of Blue isn't entirely modal. nice pictures though

many of these records are not modal.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Joki Freund - Jogi Jazz

Is there a question you won't answer with this record?

Do you sleep with it under your pillow?

• Joki Freund - Jogi Jazz

Now now SoI, he's got a Karin Krog album too he occasionally uses for answering

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock qualifies. I never get sick of that song. It was to learn on the piano.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

Joki Freund - Jogi Jazz

hey, besides that..its my avatar!

ok, i might have overused the record on soulstrut already, but hey, here it fits just perfectly.

i dont sleep with records. it doesnt fit.