Heron/Jackson 1980

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So good.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

What comes to mind is "Push comes to shove" and the last track.

I love the sound of the bass on this record.

• Yeah, the bass and drums sound great. Harvey Mason is supherb on Gil's Arista stuff.

• Great album. Except for maybe one or two weaker (but still good!) tracks, this is excellent all the way.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Incredible Lp that no one ever seems to talk about... with the obvious exception being this thread. Great Lp from top to bottom (well... alllllmost). CORNERS is the killer for me. Makes you realize how great Brian Jackson really is.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yeah, I like that album too.

For my birthday yesterday, my girlfriend gave me a homemade card, made from newspaper and magazine clippings (we always do this for each others birthdays), that looked partly like this:

which I thought was pretty cool, because Gil Scott-Heron has been popping up in my mind and on the turntable a lot lately. Hope he pulls through whatever difficulties he's going through right now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

So good X ∞

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

"Push comes to shove"

That and "Shah Mot"...

I should note that I first heard this album when someone posted it up here, I think, in that "orgy of raer" a few years back. Thanks for that!

• Incredible Lp that no one ever seems to talk about... with the obvious exception being this thread. Great Lp from top to bottom (well... alllllmost). CORNERS is the killer for me. Makes you realize how great Brian Jackson really is.

just bought 'Black Wax' on DVD and Brian Jackson was nowhere to be found...kind of waited for him to make an appearance, but never did...did the two have a falling out at some point?? great DVD by the way

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    cocaine/vodka 1980

[from the proceeds of a major label contract]

ounce of peruvian flake
    vodka
    maybe some mixer
    and weed/cigarettes

"hey brian"
    "yeah Gil"
    "Lets do ounces of blow and make another record and wear these jumpsuits and shit on the cover,while we are n the studio"
    "say werd,let me modulate this modular MOOG paralell oscillator a little bit to the right"

a dollar bin staple
    i must have bought and sold this 10 times
    wait a minute
    do i even still have a copy?

• Way to add nothing to the thread.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Way to be an uptight bitch who needs a good stiff pimp slappin'

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

"Push comes to shove"

That and "Shah Mot"...

I should note that I first heard this album when someone posted it up here, I think, in that "orgy of raer" a few years back. Thanks for that!

your welcome.

"Shah Mot" is a nice track.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    did the two have a falling out at some point?? great DVD by the way

Yes. As you know, Gil is a longtime addict and this eventually broke it up. IMHO the work Gil did after this is apart from the live double CD (the Oblivion Express band, the one with Robbie Gordon on bass). I understand they are now reconciled, they did gig a few years back but have not recorded anything new since IIRC.

Brian has also recorded a cover of "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" which features samples of Gil speaking. I like it, I posted it here before but I think it's a bit "Smooth" for many.

The live version of the above track from "It's Your World" is f*cking awesome.