LITTLE MILTON

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
"If togetherness brings peace of mindWe may have to stand in the welfare lineI got yours and I know you got mineWE'RE GONNA MAKE IT"[/b]If Tyrone Davis was a shameless beggar and Johnnie Taylor was the back-door man stealing sugar from other men's wives, Little Milton was an even-tempered Everyman who stood by his woman no matter what. Soul-blues genius recognized. My Little Milton Campbell Top 10:- "We're Gonna Make It"- "Grits Ain't Groceries"- "Walking The Back Streets & Crying" (live version from the Wattstax: The Living Word album)- "That Will Never Do" (early single on Bobbin)- "Before The Honeymoon" - "Poor Man"- "What It Is"- "That's How Strong My Love Is" (was there a clause in Stax contracts forcing their artists to do monologues? Isaac Hayes, Margie Joseph, and Little Milton...love this song though, and the spoken bit is just as good as the music)- "Behind Closed Doors"- "Who's Cheating Who"

Comments

• "Just a Little Bit" is a personal favorite.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    "Grits ain't Groceries" is a personal favorite.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Grits ain't Groceries" is a personal favorite.

• I must have almost a dozen Little Milton 45s and they're all winners. His version of "I Who Have Nothing" is particularly devastating.

• just got a copy of "She Put a Spell on Me" today...whoa!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    That album "If Walls Could Talk" is great. I remember I bought it blind because it was on Chess & I was big into Chess blues at the time & it really got me hunting out Chess soul stuff after that also.
    The Milton 45s I have are these ones below & I like them all, he had a pretty solid catalog through the 60s-early 70s.

Driftin' Drifter/Let Me Down Easy Checker (US)
    I'll Always Love You/Let's Get Together Checker (US)
    Tin Pan Alley/Sweet Woman Of Mine Stax (US)
    Behind Closed Doors/Bet You I Win Stax (US)
    Rainy Day/Lovin Stick Stax (US)
    More & More/Many Rivers To Cross Chess (US)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    That album "If Walls Could Talk" is great. I remember I bought it blind because it was on Chess & I was big into Chess blues at the time & it really got me hunting out Chess soul stuff after that also.
    The Milton 45s I have are these ones below & I like them all, he had a pretty solid catalog through the 60s-early 70s.

I think he had a pretty solid catalog up until his death, with those later releases on Malaco. Some records are better than others, but he was generally dependable. (Although I'm not fond of Think Of Me, a fairly recent CD on Telarc.)

• on 'More and More'...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

My Little Milton Campbell Top 10:
    - "We're Gonna Make It"

cosign.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I think he had a pretty solid catalog up until his death, with those later releases on Malaco. Some records are better than others, but he was generally dependable. (Although I'm not fond of Think Of Me, a fairly recent CD on Telarc.)
    I've only heard one Malaco one (I think it had a blue cover) I didn't buy it, so I can't really comment on that stuff but I'll check the others out as I see them.

• "Its Amazing" =

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If Walls Could Talk jumped to my mind. I'm guessing he wasn't a great band leader. Often his records sound kinda stiff and I am guessing it is because the band was on the same page as him.

I'm along with all you all though, great records just the same.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If Walls Could Talk jumped to my mind. I'm guessing he wasn't a great band leader. Often his records sound kinda stiff and I am guessing it is because the band was on the same page as him.

He usually recorded with the house band of whatever label he was on at that moment (Chess, Stax, Malaco...and his Glades tracks were probably done with the TK crew, I'm guessing).

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

He usually recorded with the house band of whatever label he was on at that moment (Chess, Stax, Malaco...and his Glades tracks were probably done with the TK crew, I'm guessing).

Otis was a great band leader. The horn lines on his Stax sides are the best parts the Memphis horns ever played. You need to be able to tell the guys what you need.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    with those later releases on Malaco. Some records are better than others,