AFRICA!!! (Help needed)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Ok guysso you guys know i am working in Brazil with an african cultural NGO They have gone through great expansion and the city is now turning to them to take care of the African Art FestivalThey have given my mandate and it is both cool and huge1-I have to put together five different 5 hour sets of African music2- Organize and set-up their African music library3- Set up African Artists Bios4- Edit their radio programation into 2 hours educational setsSo this is great but a lot of my African music files are in storageMy Father is sending some of his stuff butI NEED THE HELP OF THE STRUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Frank, Ari and anybody else..please help me support this badass NGO1- I NEED MUSIC AND LOTS OF IT[/b] Frank mixes please, any other mixes and albums,albums,albums as well as songs and compsI will be uploading loads from their library (ethiopique,kora,bembeya jazz,etc)But i need you guys to contribute as well 25 hours is hella long yo2- I NEED INFO[/b]African music websites, bio websites, artist pages, anything with lots of info and pics3- I NEED CONTACTS[/b]they are already in contact with the wonderful people at Putomayo But iwould love to get them contacted with SoundWay Any other comps or recommendations would help just seeing artist names or country divisions would help a lotso in the name of african music and culture please help strut :5pager:

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    YESSS!!!!!!!!!!

Blogs thanks joe

of course...!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what is that website that hosted all of franks mixes and some of their own

that was......dope....

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    what is that website that hosted all of franks mixes and some of their own

that was......dope....

Frank's mix

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

This blog that Joe posted is amazingly deep. There seem to be several heads involved with it, check the African Serenades mixes, I'm sure these people could hook you up.

• Here is an LP of Zimbabwe Chimurenga from the 80s that I posted several months back...everything should be tagged. Southern African music kind of gets slept on (and so did my original thread), but I really love this LP...

zimbabwe frontline.zip - 81.58MB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimurenga_music

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah these blogs are helping a lot

and thanks ed%%% for the frank mix

here is the first of many

Bembeya Jazz National-Regard sur le pass??- Guinea 1969

• http://ethnomusic.podomatic.com/

Quality mixes of african styles. High life , afrobeat, etc.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but make sure you look beyond the obviously funky African stuff... I'm sure you've seen it with Brazilian records, dudes trying to find 'O Incrivel Manito' before they've even listened to 60's Milton Nascimento.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    yeah these blogs are helping a lot

and thanks ed%%% for the frank mix

here is the first of many

Bembeya Jazz National-Regard sur le pass??- Guinea 1969

I think I have a total of 11 one hour mixes up on my blog right now.
    http://www.voodoofunk.com
    just click on anything in the Archive list that ends with "-MP3-".

I'm in Cotonou as I write this and have already picked up enough new stuff for at least two more mixes. In one hour, I'm going to start a six-day travel to the towns up north, Parakou and beyond. After that, I'll go to Accra and Kumasi in Ghana where I have scouts in place who have already phoned me that they've dug up stuff. Hopefully, I'll find some more records in Lome while crossing Togo on my way from Benin to Ghana. I'll be back in Cotonou after for another few days after that where I will have a meeting with El Rego and some of the guys from Poly Rythmo, maybe also with the son of Gnonnas Pedro.

If you let me know some more specifics about what you need and when you need it, I'll do my best to help you out.

I also found some crazy traditional voodoo music from Benin as well as some really spaced out Nigerian Juju stuff... and another heap of Nigerian Disco as well...

I might not be able to get back to you on a daily basis because I don't know how the internet situation is up north but please get in touch:

[email]soulpusher@soulexplosion.de[/email]

ah yeah, I also have Ebo Taylor's contacts in Accra, he's a music prof at the university now, maybe I could set up an online interview or something. Just drop me a mail and we'll take it from there.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Play this--it's hot:

Cheikh L?? "S??n??gal-Br??sil":

• Voms72Voms72 18 Posts
    This link mainly consists of recent West African mixes in a multitude of languages such as French, Krio, Mende and English. There are no track listings and you might have to use something to download the streams but the music might give you a current perspective on the West African sound

http://www.slmtvmodels.com/djs/slmtv_djs.asp

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    http://ethnomusic.podomatic.com/

Seconded. The World Passport site is unbelievably good. You may also want to get in touch with Mozambeat on this board.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Play this--it's hot:

Cheikh L?? "S??n??gal-Br??sil":

Thanks rey

this is kinda perfect seeing as the independence of senegal day will be during the festival

can i make a Rey-quest

polyrythmo the soundway one would be much appreciated

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    http://ethnomusic.podomatic.com/

Seconded. The World Passport site is unbelievably good. You may also want to get in touch with Mozambeat on this board.

yeah mozambeat and zimb

thanks for the recommendations keep them coming

frank i will be in touch shortly

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

here is selection of ethiopique tracks mostly from this dude

enjoy

Ethiopiques

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

AFRO BABY

thanks casual

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    here's some discographies you might find helpful.

Congo

Nigeria, Senegal, Kenya

Mali and Guinea

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I just wanted to throw up a HUGE THANKS

to evryone that contributed to this thread

FIRST AND FOREMOST

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGMANNNNNNNNN

I am in the ofice yesterday and I receive a package notice...go down and see a familiar size box...records..could it be...

he sends me this record and

2 dvds full of african music

man with hte not-so fast internet here i was superbly helped out by this incredibly generous gesture

EDSON YOU ARE THE MAN

secondly Frank...these mixes are honestly

so much inspiration...
    and i wil contact you about vampisoul/soundway connects

your blog is incredible and a nice sum up of your experiences

thanks to everyone who sent mixes, files and songs
    special shout out to wholewheat adn ZIMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally

the passport link and discographies are incredible thanks for posting

casa africa is developping a african msic reseaarch library so these are key

me and the whole staff thank you from the bottom de corazon

ill keep you guys updated on the dev of the festival as well as posting up my mixes

"thank Sttrutes"

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Dude!!

I'm glad I could help you a bit, and the pack arrived safe and well.
    Hope the content can be useful for your work.

Paz

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Check the Real Headz homie.

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    hi, check the link below:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=976570&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

there you'll find some afro-soul/funk/beat & traditional sounds, maybe you like some of 'em!

best wishes, rainer