east bay(oakland/berkley) bbq question?

ageage 1,131 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Hey East Bay FoksWhere's a good spot to go get bbq?The wife and I are going the gallery today.I know of a couple of places,But would like to pick and choose(if ya'll don't mind helping, that is:)Any suggestions?Thanks folks and really appreciated Much peace and respect,Adrian

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Everett and Jones on San Pablo and University in Berkeley is pretty solid. Also the Smokehouse on Telegraph, although I can't really speak on anything besides their burgers.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Everett and Jones on San Pablo and University in Berkeley is pretty solid.

There's another one up by Jack London Square, too.

Also, every weekend, there's a dude on Shattuck somewhere between Alcatraz and 51st who sells BBQ right off the big-ass grill he's got in his yard. I've never tried it, but it sure smells good every time I drive by.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Nothing tops Flint's IMO. Everett and Jones is great though.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Everett and Jones on San Pablo and University in Berkeley is pretty solid. Also the Smokehouse on Telegraph, although I can't really speak on anything besides their burgers.
    I'm going to totally disagree with you maru. I think you being in Philadelphia is making you nostalgic. The 3-4 times I've been to Everett and Jones, the meat was dry and they tried to make up for it with extra sauce, which was mediocre. The Smokehouse just does greaseburgers and are also just mediocre. F*cking (the * is for you ross) mediocre. Never been to the E&J in Jack London. That said, I have no alternatives...I think my bbq is hella good! but I'm not cookin today.

I just want you to have that ohhhh $h!t experience, and I don't either of these places possess the goods.

I'm going to totally disagree with you maru. I think you being in Philadelphia is making you nostalgic. The 3-4 times I've been to Everett and Jones, the meat was dry and they tried to make up for it with extra sauce, which was mediocre. The Smokehouse just does greaseburgers and are also just mediocre. F*cking (the * is for you ross) mediocre. Never been to the E&J in Jack London. That said, I have no alternatives...I think my bbq is hella good!
    but I'm not cookin today.

I just want you to have that ohhhh $h!t experience, and I don't either of these places possess the goods.

Question though: Are there any good BBQ spots out in Richmond? I don't really venture out there often but would be down to check it out.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I'm going to totally disagree with you maru. I think you being in Philadelphia is making you nostalgic. The 3-4 times I've been to Everett and Jones, the meat was dry and they tried to make up for it with extra sauce, which was mediocre. The Smokehouse just does greaseburgers and are also just mediocre. F*cking (the * is for you ross) mediocre. Never been to the E&J in Jack London. That said, I have no alternatives...I think my bbq is hella good!

damn, hater. i actually haven't been to E&J for 4-5 years, but I'm pretty sure it was on hit back then. maybe my memory is a bit fuzzy, but i don't think you're gonna find "Oh Shit" BBQ in the bay period

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Question though: Are there any good BBQ spots out in Richmond? I don't really venture out there often but would be down to check it out.

Off 23rd near McDonald there are a couple that resemble the record store that you want to go in, but is always closed. The good thing about a frequently closed record store is that the records are still the same and you're getting into some rare shit. The bad thing about a frequently closed BBq joint is that the quality is inconsistent. Nothing I stand by yet...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i don't think you're gonna find "Oh Shit" BBQ in the bay period

You're really not. All of this stuff is being graded on a curve. There's good BBQ around, but no facemelters.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

You're really not. All of this stuff is being graded on a curve. There's good BBQ around, but no facemelters.

i like everett & jones, ive only been to the one in hayward though. have heard good things of about flint's and the sliced beef but have never been. i like uncle frank's out in mountain view, when the brisket is on, it is ON. unfortunately at times it can be hit or miss.

anybody check out Big Nate's BBQ in the city?

i like everett & jones, ive only been to the one in hayward though. have heard good things of about flint's and the sliced beef but have never been. i like uncle frank's out in mountain view, when the brisket is on, it is ON. unfortunately at times it can be hit or miss.

Big Nate's is amazing, they know how to do it. It's actually owned by Nate Thurmond, who used to play Center for the Warriors, and is the man. Sometimes he works there too (you'll know, cause he's 7 feet tall). The memorabilia on the walls is great too.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    We ended up not getting bbq

Every place we went to..Was either closed down or they open at some odd ass time.
    Thanks for the heads up though.It will serve us well when we do go next week:)

Oh..Every second saturday of the month, The Oakland Museum Of CA is admission free:)
    We went to see this today and going back to continue it(we only had one hour to look at some of the exhibit).

Ancient Roots/Urban Journeys: Expressions for D??as de los Muertos
    check it out.

I Really want to hit the dude mentioned in his front yard

(there's a dude on Shattuck somewhere between Alcatraz and 51st)

Thanks for the heads up folks and will peep out really soon!!

Much peace and respect:
    Adrian

• sergserg 682 Posts

Big Nate's is amazing, they know how to do it. It's actually owned by Nate Thurmond, who used to play Center for the Warriors, and is the man. Sometimes he works there too (you'll know, cause he's 7 feet tall). The memorabilia on the walls is great too.

what are you talking about? Amazing is a bullshit call, it ain't bad but it's not mind blowing for damn sure. after eating at busted ass brother in laws it will help but its nothing special.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Brother in Laws on Diviz is doo doo too. Jesus. Let's start a business called "Good Bay Area BBQ and Records" that's open regular hours and make a mother Frickin' killing. We could have moist towlettes over the record bins so no raer would get sauce on it.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The Smokehouse just does greaseburgers and are also just mediocre. F*cking (the * is for you ross) mediocre.

East Bay burgers begin and end with The Red Onion next to El Cerrito BART.

• sergserg 682 Posts

Brother in Laws on Diviz is doo doo too. Jesus. Let's start a business called "Good Bay Area BBQ and Records" that's open regular hours and make a mother Frickin' killing. We could have moist towlettes over the record bins so no raer would get sauce on it.

I'm sayin shit, that's what the bay needs.

brother in laws has actually gotten even worse with the owner change over.

The Smokehouse just does greaseburgers and are also just mediocre. F*cking (the * is for you ross) mediocre.

Ummmm...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

The Red Onion is okay, but their fries are bunk. Alright, I will finally contribute: Seriously, I just had the best burger I've ever had at the Pig and Whistle @ 2801 Geary Blvd. Frickin' ridiculous.

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    anyone try al's big burger and casper's on san pablo? any good?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    anyone try al's big burger and casper's on san pablo? any good?
    Big Al's is a decent grease burger--I am fond of their shakes. Caspers is Caspers=an okay hot dog. Nothing amazing. Waikiki BBQ next to the blue moon and across from El Cerrito Shopping center is decent--especially their Chicken Katsu--get the "special" sauce.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

There is indeed a facemelter bbq joint in Lafayette...

Bo's Barbeque.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Ummmm...

Gourmet meat that isn't spiced one bit so despite any number of exotic toppings you put on them, their burgers are still 100% BLAND AS FUCK.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Ummmm...

Gourmet meat that isn't spiced one bit so despite any number of exotic toppings you put on them, their burgers are still 100% BLAND AS FUCK.

Saying.

Yuppy ass burger joint.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't believe someone just upped Barney's with a straight face.

And E&J really is NOT that impressive. Especially for the $$$.

I'll still ride for Doug's in Emeryville.

I can't believe someone just upped Barney's with a straight face.

Y'all are trippin. Barney's is damn good - I don't like my burger to be a greasefest.

I stand by my reccomendation.

• Doug's brisket is the Sh*t... All the E&j's are run by different folks ...So the sides and flavor vary from spot to spot ...and puttin' in Barney's has got a be a joke ...