XTC (the band)

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I was hoping the other thread would be about the drug and the band. I'm really into XTC these days. The early jerk pop shit is incredible. I also have live bootleg from early '79 and they seemed out of control on stage. In a good way. PS--Has anyone found a copy of this record with a poster?People ride for Skylarking, but I can't really get into that or anything after it. Also, I can't really get into the Dukes stuff. What am I missing?

Comments

• Drums and Wires - 'Life Begins at the Hop' is my shit.

Same for Black Sea and English Settlement, both aces...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I enjoyed a few of their "hits". "Dear God" -- "Mayor of Simpleton."

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    go 2
    +
    go +

are pretty cool

• this has its moments:

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I found that Take Away record in same batch that had the XTC live boots. I was excited, but it's not so good. Is it worth anything?

go 2
    +
    go +

are pretty cool

I love Go 2. I understand that Go + is a dub version. I need that!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    go 2
    +
    go +

are pretty cool

I love Go 2. I understand that Go + is a dub version. I need that!
    Knock yerself out...

THANKS!!!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I have a Skylarking Demo I like. Don't know if it's common. 3XTC. Plaese to post more XTCMP3. I haven't come across the earlier albums mentioned.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I've grew up loving most XTC material from their first releases up to and including Skylarking and the Dukes of Stratosphere stuff. That mid-to-late 80s material went well with the Beatles kick I was on in middle school, and then their punchier earlier material felt like a UK answer to Talking Heads, one of my favorite groups in high school.

Looking back, I don't dig the "produced pastoral" pop sounds of Skylarking and English Settlement all too much; the Dukes of Stratosphere songs are hit or miss for me, but I do feel like "Braniac's Daughter" and "Collideoscope" could be slipped into a mix of 60s psych-pop w/o anyone but an expert blinking an eye.

The first few XTC albums I still enjoy quite a bit. I'd never heard of go+ before... details?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I was hoping the other thread would be about the drug and the band. I'm really into XTC these days. The early jerk pop shit is incredible. I also have live bootleg from early '79 and they seemed out of control on stage. In a good way.

PS--Has anyone found a copy of this record with a poster?

I just bought this very LP off a former coworker a few months ago, but it is still in my "to be played" pile. Looking forward to hearing it. I didn't check to see if there was a poster inside...if so, I'll tell you later.

My previous familarity with XTC was a song here and there, and since I liked what I heard, thought I'd investigate further.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

this is my favorite. i love the drum sounds on "Paper and Iron"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Their earlier shit is pretty different from their later shit. They made some pretty big leaps creatively from album to album. I hear a lot of their early sound in some of the newer British bands, Bloc Party being the most obvious example.

• This is my jam.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Their earlier shit is pretty different from their later shit. They made some pretty big leaps creatively from album to album. I hear a lot of their early sound in some of the newer British bands, Bloc Party being the most obvious example.

when barry split they seemed to have lost a bit of their punky edge

go+ is a sort of dub version of go 2

we had all the posters & such, i have a london wavelength conecrt lp (that may make it into the sell pile)
    & a bbc live cd

my buddy shot 16mil of a few concerts & taped them,
    we would sinc up the film & tape & have a concert re-creation

the guitar solo in "love at first sight" is very crazy

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I've grew up loving most XTC material from their first releases up to and including Skylarking and the Dukes of Stratosphere stuff. That mid-to-late 80s material went well with the Beatles kick I was on in middle school, and then their punchier earlier material felt like a UK answer to Talking Heads, one of my favorite groups in high school.

Looking back, I don't dig the "produced pastoral" pop sounds of Skylarking and English Settlement all too much; the Dukes of Stratosphere songs are hit or miss for me, but I do feel like "Braniac's Daughter" and "Collideoscope" could be slipped into a mix of 60s psych-pop w/o anyone but an expert blinking an eye.

The first few XTC albums I still enjoy quite a bit. I'd never heard of go+ before... details?

This pretty much sums it up for me too. Let me guess, you graduated high school sometime between 1985-1987, right?

I actually still dig 'Skylarking' a lot, it's a great Springtime LP to pull out on a sunny day, although I truly od'd on XTC, in a similar way that I od'd on Elvis Costello around the same time. I rarely have the urge to listen to 'Drums and Wires' as much as I dug it back in the day. Nowadays Partridge's vocals can get on my nerves.

this is my favorite. i love the drum sounds on "Paper and Iron"

Sgt. Rock was my song on that one!

This pretty much sums it up for me too. Let me guess, you graduated high school sometime between 1985-1987, right?

wow, I am surprised XTC was still on the radar by the time you were in high school. I guess the Dukes stuff was like 1987-88, which woulda been like 8th grade or so for you....hey, you were hipper than I was in middle school, that's for sure!

wow, I am surprised XTC was still on the radar by the time you were in high school. I guess the Dukes stuff was like 1987-88, which woulda been like 8th grade or so for you....hey, you were hipper than I was in middle school, that's for sure!
    I'm glad that's your reaction, everyone at the time thought I was egregiously

• I was going to start a thread featuring XTC during the late summer but figured nobody would respond.

The produced pastoral sounds of "Skylarking" work if you actually live in a pastoral setting. I drove around the northland listening to that album quite a bit this summer.

I'm gonna listen to it right now. Thanks for the reminder, all!

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I was hoping the other thread would be about the drug and the band. I'm really into XTC these days. The early jerk pop shit is incredible. I also have live bootleg from early '79 and they seemed out of control on stage. In a good way.

No poster for me, I like IM BUGGED, think its my fave song by them but I might have only mostly heard this record alone.