BRAZIL!!! (update)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Oje meninhosI have just gotten here in Brazil and I am lving it beyond beliefI am truly blessed, working in a cultural NGO for African culural promotionwith my senegalese brethren Ibrahima GayeI work in an office during the day and a Bar at night... Concerts, tours and cultural events as well as radio in favelas are on the menucant wait to go digging as well (belo horizonte is the city of the clube da esquinha movement nascimento an 'em)shit is amazing so I made a blog documenting my travelshttp://toninhonobrasil.wordpress.comThere will be a blog archiving the organisms great radio programs (info on african artists/culture and music) up soonso ill keep yall in checkfurthermore i will be working in schools presenting the african heritage to young afro-brazilians SS interest break!I am working with a sick graphic designer, the pres is a sick DJ, FOOD IS furthermorea african music thread will be popping both here and where so take care guys and talk to you soon

Comments

• Nice!
    Have a caipi and an acai for me. I've been back a month now and am already plotting my (fourth) return. If you head down to Rio or Sampa to dig holler and I'll give you some numbers.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hey Toninho!

What's up?
    So, you are in BH?
    I don't know the city and can't recommend anything there.
    But I know comida mineira (Minas' food) is very nice; beware of cacha??a, though.
    Whenever you come to Sao Paulo drop me a line.

Enjoy your stay!

Peace

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Ill be going down to sao paolo and rio
    later in the year

thanks for the contacts

Edson e seguro que vamos a encontrar nos no SAOpao

belleza!

Ill be going down to sao paolo and rio
    later in the year

thanks for the contacts

Edson e seguro que vamos a encontrar nos no SAOpao

belleza!

Dude, your Portuguese sucks!

I know it'll be cool to me you here.

Peace

• I'm in Minas right now too..I'll be in BH the first week of november and in Sampa in december..e ai Moogman!,falou-p

I'm in Minas right now too..I'll be in BH the first week of november and in Sampa in december..e ai Moogman!,falou-p

Hi Pa**o!

• Dude, your Portuguese sucks!

I know it'll be cool to me you here.

lolol! i'm jealous of all you cats down there... que pena!

• Wow, that sounds like a great gig you got going on.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Is it really your birthday? If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Plaese to post more pictures.

• Whats goin down the first week of November in Belo???

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Is it really your birthday? If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Plaese to post more pictures.

Stuff just keep on getting better

So after a big day of work i was directly off to the festival again to help out with the kicthen and bar

Caru my co-worker was nice enough to help me around the city (getting to know it better and better)...wonderful person this Caru..we met some of the street dwellers she does social work with and it was an incredible experience to day the least...i will be accompanying her next friday...

Yeah so we were preparing Mafe...a typical senegalese dish (peanut sauce based)

I love cooking over big ass flames as such

Seconds away from the bar were things were getting busy...

Leo the man responsible for the CasaAfrica bar/concert hall has a couple of invented drinks that i am sure to bring back home...including Africando a 3 colored drink that looks like the senegalese flag

After learning how to make caiperinhas and mojitos i went to see a fellow senegales percussionist perform...

Full percussion band killing it...

With his son being the hardest...

Really good people and music...african rythms like samba have a crazy rejuvenating and non-stopping effect on minha pessoa

At midnightI got a happy birthday from my peeps and a couple of hard drinks as well (eating olives at the end of a gigantic shooter of cacha??a actually works

Anyway we eneded the night over at casa africa with great beats, some herb and some guitar

Here is an example of the breezy sounds at the end of the night

As luck (destiny) would have it..the next day was a national holiday and my birthday..and...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Another day, another incredible chain of events

It was the end of Ramadan for Ibrahima and he decided to inaugurate his house as well as celebrate my birthday by throwing a Churascao (BBQ!) at his house in NovaLima (a city outside of Belo..think Laval..but... you know...nice)

Daniel lifted us after we stocked up on some cevejas and we were off...i love the outside of Belo because it has incredible pitoresque nature...apparently apart from possesing the largest concentration of bars per citizen/km2 (think nice lounges/local spots..but more friendly/communal and more cheap!) MinasGerais also has the most waterfalls and Daniel has promised to take me camping

Lord have mercy! this BBQ party was popping...all the co-workers and friends were there

as well as the meat...

and the beers!

a wonderful sunny day..spent with good food and friends..life is good

But wait there is more...

We went out to a bar called Op??ao....I had heard good things....local place...crazy grimy decor...condensed basement type place...but more importantly

Verdadeira Samba (aka that Real Schitt!)

and man did it not dissapoint

Classics coming out of the sick combo

We stayed the whole night dancing!

Belleza!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Speaking on the brailian honeys

there was this girl dancing her Ass off...literaly...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I was kind of tired Saturday...

But I got up and walked around the city to the very nice municipal park where my man Ibra was waiting to take me to his Capoeira classes

He practises Capoeira Angola (the more spiritual,less-flashy and in my opinao essentially more beautiful artform)

It was a wondeful experience (it did not take pics out of respect) Mestre Jo??o the master has a long tradition and his students are both respectful and friendly

Its a very small local but the berimbau sounds and percussion fill the room accompanying the chants, furthermore you can practice on the ouside veranda filled with plants and sounds...

I was blessed to get a privileged access to this community...that do great work with afro-dancing and youths in Belo...

It was hard on the knees, but i needed some exercise and this 3 hour session opened my mind and soul...

Needless to say i was drained thats when Ibra brought me to the central market where we had a giant bowl of A??ai

Deliciously semi frozen sorbet of energy and berryness with sweet banana/cereal combo...best breakfast/snack/energizer evaaar

I went back home watched Training Day in portuguese and some brazilian soaps while brushing up on my portuguese activity book...(do your homework young man)

Another great day and my night was filled with grand projects for the future of casa africa (more on that later)

Big afro-brasilian music tour (strutters will be needed!)

Well as I am writing now I am in the office listening to some sweet sounds via my

Brazil Mix

and am going to Ibra for an afternoon cookout

Ate logo gente

Beijos

Toninho

Hey Toninho

I'm really glad you're enjoying your brazilian experience!
    Voc?? ?? uma pessoa privilegiada!

Se cuida.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Voc?? ?? uma pessoa privilegiada!

me sento exactamente asi agora Edson...muito obrigado

ate pronto

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Whats goin down the first week of November in Belo???

we have a Noite do Griot concert on nov 7

see you there

quarta-fera 21h
    sala joao ceschiatti
    palacio das artes

see you there

and check out the casa africa bar every thursday-sat

www.casaafrica.com.br

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Just wondering ,how are Black Americans received in Brazil? What should one expect if he/she were to visit?? In other words is there much prejudice toward foreign Black folk?

i cant fully answer that question but i know the prejudice is more social and internal (move on up related) than general so foreing visitors should be fine..

you will go unoticed even...if you speak portuguese

that being said racism is a huge thing still in brazil

I heard some negaitvely about the SaoPaolo olympics in 74 just to name a few schocking examples

anyways let me kow if you will be coming through

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Capoeira classes

Probably the most exhausting thing I have ever tried.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    IN CASE YOU GUYS MISSED THIS

BRAZIL MIX

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Last time I left you I was writing from the office on a hot ass day

Well i worked for a long moment then took the bus to go to yet another BBQ at Ibra??s; we had to finish all that cerveja you know

I got off at the wrong stop meaning i had to walk a Km on the highway but i took a couple of pics of the scenery so you guys understand what i meant about the nature right outside of Belo

Kuter the Angolan painter was there as well as the usual crew

We stayed extra late to watch the Brazil-Colombia match..great food and beer..not so great match 0-0

I had to grill on through the night

And we sung along the guitar on the busride back...

Boa noite

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Ok so it was Segundafera (Monday) so Ibra informed me of my work mandate for the month

It is both extremely cool and extremely long...but i cant wait

The FAN (Festival de Arte Negra) is starting soon and Casa Africa is playing a big role

The 5 day festival (19nov) is a quite important here in Belo (20 000 pers) and the city of Belo have contracted Casa Africa to take care of almost everything

They will be hosting cultural workshops (dance,music,art), organizing daily concerts, hosting african cultural workshops for Belo school children (I luv da kidz!) and maintaining a HUGE bar and restaurant (20000 peeps..yeah!)..celebrating senegal independence day, etc...

Anyways they put me in charge of the ExpressoAfrica Radio part
    THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so this is what I have to do

1- Prepare 5 different 5 hour african music sets to be played throughout the festival

2- Edit their 20 radio programs to cut out commercials and extract the most relevant info in order to assemble daily 2 hour radio programs both musical and educational...basically remix and boil down 20 hours of radio into 10

3- Prepare Bio/Info sheets on artists from this year??s featured African countries (above the equator...only those....

4- During all this I will be basically assembling/organizing the GIGANTIC Casa Africa musical library...since the CentroCultural will be moving soon to a bigger and better place

Thus, as you guys know this is exactly my cup of tea and I have already started working hard as fug on contacts with record labels, getting my African vinyl dealing friends to lace me with some MP3s and just filtering up all this music! I got less than a month...vamos!

So after a long day of work at the office I left for the CasaAfrica bar

They just received this ill collection of comics

But it was all about the CDs

I organized them into sections/countries and will be going everynight to listen and choose...

Those who know me know that I always listen/organize/mix at least 2 hours per day well now its more useful than ever

and in such a great space

Well thats it so i will be keeping you up to date and posting up some music over the course of the week...

for now enjoy a mix I always enjoy late at night....

Its mainly dark brazilian psychrock, very good for the late hours of the night

JorgeBen, Seu Jorge, Evinha, MarcosValle and a crazy piano track at the end

But most tracks are from Arthur Verocai

Unknown but supremely talented brazilian producer...his album changed my life as far as late nights are concerned.

So listen...

As I am writing this its 8am (got up real early today)

Got to go to work...

Ciao gente!!!

One love to all

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Hey guys,

This week was hectic in a good way...we are getting ready for the FAN here at Casa Africa as well as preparing our end of year Afro-Brazil festival and preparing the move to a bigger and better space to consolidate/create the ''real'' Centro Cultural Casa Africa

My pics are not as good as I would like, but I have cool videos so well...yeah!

I basically spent the whole week working in the office by day 8am-8pm editing audio

And working in Casa Africa by night compiling the music library

I got some good work done the radio programs are set to go and 10 hours of mixes have been made (coming your way soon..)

On tuesday I did my thing at Casa Africa but then my man Leo invited me to watch the game (Brasil-Ecuador)..Minas style

as ive said earlier minas gerais has a million local bars..we went to a chill and cheap spot and he showed me some customs such as ..cacha??a with torresmo

you drink a shot and bite this pork grind style meat thingy (much more meaty and deliciousness, than are old traditional pork grind...think fried pork chop!)

A great night, brazil won big time and we celebrated...

Brazil 5-0.....ridiculous Robinho moves...um pra la, dos pra ca

Back at the office the next day I see a package adressed to me with a familiar size...

Could it be?

MoogMan sent this along with 2 DVDs full of african albums... Nossa Senhora! i was ready to mix...such good timing...

Stunnashades in full effect as well
    Meanwhile Ibra was all dressed up

He had an important meeting with the city of belo horizonte counsellor and he brought me along..super interesting developments (my next post will be more in fo on casa africas accomplishments/future plans)

We are talking to him to get funding for our new centre and he has a lot he wants to ask from us but we are up for the task...

At night we went out to the food fair where i tried out some more local delicacies...

Finally it was friday, i had a fejoada (typical meal for that day of the week) and worked as always...

However my friend/co-worker Karu (who is one of the kindest souls i have met) took me to her social work groups weekly night shift

Seriously an incredible experience...i was out walking around the city, conversing with Belo's homeless community as while distributing hot milk and bread...

It has been heavily raining as of late in Belo (rain season) so it was an especially needy time, as Karu told me ''just watch''..destiny at work... it stopped raining when we got out the car and hit the streets at 9pm than at 11:30 distributing our last bread in the hospital parking lot...the rain started again..

I got to casa africa late at night to witness my first real bar night there...

I got the opportunity to spin some tunes and it was just great

Ive been seriously getting more and more involved with Casa Africa and have a big meeting with Ibra tommorow at his house to organize the rest of my mandate

big thangs!

I leave you guys with another mix to enjoy on a sunday afternoon...breezy bossa nova...

ciao gente!

ENJOY!

Dude, that's hella work you got to do.
    And you'll do it fine and easily!

Again, beware of the cacha??a. That sh!t kills!!

Peace

• damn, how come I've never seen this thread?

dope.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    One of these days I want to travel the world when I have the funds. That was very beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Really nice mix, too. While I am far from good, I recently learned how to play the bossa nova and samba on the drums, so I found the songs very inspiring.

• I just got back from Brasil yesterday afternoon, I spent 4 months down there kicking it in Bahia (Salvador, S??o Luis, Jericocoara, Belem) Estado do Amazon (Manuas, Tefe) and of course: Rio and S??o Paulo. Such a beautiful place filled with dope weather, music, people and food (allllllll the fresh fruit *especially*)... I've been unpacking all day and getting hella upset its all over...

Your flick of a??a?? made me smile... thats one of the things I miss most (next to Ter??a da Ben??a if you're a Bahiano.) You cant leave Brasil without kicking it on a Tuesday night in Salvador... Truussssst me.

Glad you are working with such a dope program though... I'm downloading all your mixes right now so I can reminisce...

Obrigado & boa sorte!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Ridiculousness. I wanna mingle with some locals!!!! and eat and dance!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    One of these days I want to travel the world when I have the funds. That was very beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Really nice mix, too. While I am far from good, I recently learned how to play the bossa nova and samba on the drums, so I found the songs very inspiring.

bossa drumming is always what i check for in the songs...nice keep it up man

that elis regina track which is a samba/bossa hybrid has gor great drums for example

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I just got back from Brasil yesterday afternoon, I spent 4 months down there kicking it in Bahia (Salvador, S??o Luis, Jericocoara, Belem) Estado do Amazon (Manuas, Tefe) and of course: Rio and S??o Paulo. Such a beautiful place filled with dope weather, music, people and food (allllllll the fresh fruit *especially*)... I've been unpacking all day and getting hella upset its all over...

You cant leave Brasil without kicking it on a Tuesday night in Salvador... Truussssst me.

I love the fruit man..everyday starts off with that...

Yeah I really want to go to Bahia..but get to know it for real..so i might have to reserve some time for that..any contacts?..

Ill actually be spending about for moths here too...

Hey if you got that Bahia Blues i got a song thats perfect for you