SOMEBODY'S SENDING SPAM FROM MY DOMAIN

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Checked my email this morning and got a bunch of variations on the following:
from Postmaster Postmaster> hide details 8:16 am (31 minutes ago) to [email]Zane169@findzen.net[/email] date Oct 11, 2007 8:16 AM subject Delivery Failure ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------The message you sent to hanifsons.com/info was rejected because it would exceed the quota for the mailbox.The subject of the message follows:Subject: autrichi
Every email address seems to be different, but all are from my domain (findzen.net). I only use one email address for that domain but I have a catch-all setup to go to my gmail (i.e. if you email [email]anything@findzen.net[/email], [email]nothing@findzen.net[/email], [email]asdfasdf@findzen.net[/email] it all goes the same place).Anybody know what's going on? Did my domain get hacked? Or is someone just using my domain as a fake email address?

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Are they showing in your sent items? If not then it's quite possible you haven't sent any messages out and the delivery failure message is just another piece of spam.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    It could be spoofed and they are using your domain as the return address. If they are actually sending it out from your email server then you need to lock it down and force authentication on it to send outgoing email. It is likely that you have become a relay server though. If you are only hosting your domain and email on someone else's server they admins of the server should be able to look into it more for you. If you are a relay server you can get blacklisted and outgoing email to a lot of hosts will start to bounce. It is a pain in the ass to get off of the blacklists so you want to get it fixed asap if you are actually a relay server.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    It's more likely that the spammer is running it through open relays. They are still relatively common, set up by people who lack the knowledge to understand the implications.

Are you on a shared hosting platform/virtual server/something else?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I think they're just faking my address to hide where the emails are coming from. I don't have any email addresses set up for my domain...

The domain is hosted through Netfirms.com. I googled "relay server" and I don't think that's what I have. I just have a catch-all redirect setup for my domain that forwards to my gmail account.

• I think they're just faking my address to hide where the emails are coming from. I don't have any email addresses set up for my domain...

The domain is hosted through Netfirms.com. I googled "relay server" and I don't think that's what I have. I just have a catch-all redirect setup for my domain that forwards to my gmail account.

Same shit happened with me and my domain a few months ago..I am pretty sure its bullshit and I would just change my pw to be safe and not worry(keep an eye on it, though).

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Great... now I'm getting pissed off emails in Spanish from people that think I'm a spammer..

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Apparently the spammer is in the "male enhancement" business:

charm the socks and panties off the girls when they see the bulge in your pants!

tired of pulling your pole? grow the natural way!

average dicks get average hoes

• Same thing has been happening for me i contacted my host to let them know and they have done fuck all about it.

I wonder if getting rid of the catch all would help...

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Same thing has been happening for me i contacted my host to let them know and they have done fuck all about it.

I wonder if getting rid of the catch all would help...

I think that will stop the barrage of "undeliverable" messages, but those are all going to my spam folder anyway.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Did my domain get hacked?

No. Similar thread came up a few months ago. What's happening is akin to someone putting your address as their return address on an envelope. Not much you can do about it.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Same thing has been happening for me i contacted my host to let them know and they have done fuck all about it.

Not much they can do about it. See 'return address on envelope' metaphor above.