Radio Promotion Companies

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
The thread about the Large Professor remix of Marco Polo's "The Radar" got me wondering why I didn't hear a word about the remix from the radio promotion company who handled his latest album (who will remain unnamed), even though I got emails plugging the album about three times a week plugging the album. The remix is clearly the hottest track he's put out, and the Large Professor name should have them plugging it like mad.Over the last few months of having to deal with more and more of these promoters, I honestly see no use for them, and really think they do more harm than help. They plug a dozen records at a time, providing completely inept descriptions and in no way getting you any closer to the artist themself for interviews and whatnot. Honestly, when I want interview, I go straight to the artist/label/manager, cut out the middleman, and the process works smoothly.Granted, I'm talking college radio, and getting airplay on commercial radio is certainly a different challenge. But seriously, it seems to me that all these companies really do is compile lists of music directors and send them pestering emails and CDs, maybe stalk them with a few phone calls. I've talked to a few of these promoters and they are consistantly disconnected and have hipster tastes - indie rock dudes who dabbled in hip-hop, really.I guess my question is, does anyone use radio promotion companies? Or have any good experiences with them? Are they really successful at getting artists more exposure? It seems like in 2007 you could do almost all of the work yourself, or if you don't have time, hire someone who knows your music well to do the work for you. I'd much rather talk to a label rep or an artist's manager than deal with know-nothing middlemen.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A good plugger knows the playlist style, has the relationships with the programmers and can get your music in front of the right people. A bad plugger can kill your career before it starts.

Yeah, you can do a lot of the work yourself but a good promo company provides a shortcut to airplay. Course, if the record's not right for the station then all the plugging in the world won't help.