Soul Strut MYSPACE RIP.

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I just cancelled my MySpace account. There was way too much bullshit SPAM to wade through to make it worth updating. Plus... it lost its luster real quick.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yeah, myspace sucks.
    the fuckin macy cards, and invites from fake webcam bitches

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    she'll be missed

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    yeah man, too much of that crap coming in... usually from people i know that don't know their sending me that crap. ringtones? don't need em. macy's cards? where the hell did this come from? webcams? i'm perverted, but not that perverted!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    she'll be missed

SOUL STRUT is MYSPACE.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    you should let djs, prod, emcees, etc make soulstrut myspace-ish pages. maybe soulstrut could be the next sharespace website and make you a bajillonaire!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    she'll be missed

SOUL STRUT is MYSPACE.

SOULSTRUT is YOURSPACE
    SOULSTRUT is OURSPACE

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Tom wasn't really your friend anyway

• I think MySpace is on its way out anyway.

There's something about MySpoace that made me feel yucky. Here, I am, 32 lurking on my kids' babysitter's page.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    yeah man, too much of that crap coming in... usually from people i know that don't know their sending me that crap. ringtones? don't need em. macy's cards? where the hell did this come from? webcams? i'm perverted, but not that perverted!

All of that stuff is spambots, here is how it works[/b]

1) The spambot gets the myspace persons password (they have a mocked up page that looks EXACTLY like myspace but the url is a little different, something like www.imyspace.com) the person says "DAMN! myspace logged me out again! grrr" and proceed to type in their password. The spambot now has control over your account.

2) The spambot has a routine where it logs into the users account using their username and password and sends out a bulletin or comments to all of the hacked users contacts.

3) This usually shows up as the free macy's giftcard or a fake youtube screen capture, when you click on any of these things, you too will be sent to imyspace.com and asked for your password, cycle continues.

How to avoid this situation - 3 options[/b]

1) Cancel crapspace account

2) Disable HTML comments on your page (also gets rid of stupid band stuff too) and avoid bulletins.

3) Whenever you are asked to login, ALWAYS check the URL.

If you do get hit, log in, delete the spabot comments from your page and change your password. Also good to message the infected person if you care, if not, DELETE FROM FRIENDS.

geekmode out
    j

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I think MySpace is on its way out anyway.

There's something about MySpoace that made me feel yucky. Here, I am, 32 lurking on my kids' babysitter's page.

maybe it was the being yucky that made you feel yucky? was she hot?

Gross. She's 16. Perv.

THANKS FOR THE ADD! /FONT>

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

true

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Check out my new beats, yo.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I hope so.

It baffles me how poorly designed and coded MySpace is. 9 times out of 10 it would crash my browser or cause my computer to hang.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    All of that stuff is spambots[/b]

Paging Mylatency: I (almost) got hit by one of these via your account last week.

I want to cancel my MS too, but people from my past who randomly hit me up make it worth keeping around for awhile, even if I rarely log in to check it.

• It baffles me how poorly designed and coded MySpace is. 9 times out of 10 it would crash my browser or cause my computer to hang.

saying. I can't tell you how many times I have clicked on a Myspace link of somebody's, had a new browser pop up with the myspace bar at the top appear immediately, counted off the lengthy delay in my head as the rest of the page loads, and then said fuckit and closed the window before it had a chance to load.

I shudder to think of the vast world of mediocre music I could have been exposed to if Myspace pages only loaded faster.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

is the jam. way more old school contacts on there.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah, Facebook is good for keeping in touch with people who I actually want to interface with on the semi-regular. I'm talking about folks who I wouldn't even think to look up. They're all slumming on MySpace.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    But won't you miss getting PM's like this...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

R.I.P.

• Options
    I want to cancel my MS too, but people from my past who randomly hit me up make it worth keeping around for awhile, even if I rarely log in to check it.

The two times I had my finger on the cancel button but held off for a minute, both times I wound up getting contacted later that week by people I was happy to hear from and hadn't seen in over ten years. One of them was a month ago, so I guess I'll keep it open for a bit.

One of my best friends cancelled his a few months ago and his wife fought with him about it. I recall the quote from her as "You're basically telling my friends you want nothing to do with them". Sad. Just sad.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

is the jam. way more old school contacts on there.

was good when it was more 'exclusive' now there's too much junk (applications, etc)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shit, I don't give a fuck. It's all the same to me. Friendster, Myspace, Facebook - they all serve the same purpose to me: to act as a good marketing tool for me as an artist. I've definitely GOTTEN MONEY just because I've been on it, but once you start looking at it as anything different then that's when you're assed out. My thing is that with the way you can turn off all the notifications and shit, you only have to deal with it when you actually log it. And for real I'm not about to fall for the phishing tactics that spammers try to get busy on. As for all the juvenile PMs and comments and shit like that - fuck it, man - just delete that shit.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Shit, I don't give a fuck. It's all the same to me. Friendster, Myspace, Facebook - they all serve the same purpose to me: to act as a good marketing tool for me as an artist. I've definitely GOTTEN MONEY just because I've been on it, but once you start looking at it as anything different then that's when you're assed out.

Can't even list all the great hook-ups and opportunities I've had from myspace. The good far out weighs the bad IMO. I wouldn't even be on that shit if I wasn't an artist.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Shit, I don't give a fuck. It's all the same to me. Friendster, Myspace, Facebook - they all serve the same purpose to me: to act as a good marketing tool for me as an artist. I've definitely GOTTEN MONEY just because I've been on it, but once you start looking at it as anything different then that's when you're assed out. My thing is that with the way you can turn off all the notifications and shit, you only have to deal with it when you actually log it. And for real I'm not about to fall for the phishing tactics that spammers try to get busy on. As for all the juvenile PMs and comments and shit like that - fuck it, man - just delete that shit.

wait, didn't I get one of those macy's cards comments from you? hahaha

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

wait, didn't I get one of those macy's cards comments from you? hahaha

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, that shit may have hit me too, but I ended up changing my password right quick after some girl I know hollered at me about it. That's what I get from logging into Myspace on my Blackberry when I'm supposed to be DJing!

• I've sold a lot of mixtapes and scored many a gig through myspace. Thanks tomBOT