Sun Ra - Where do you start?

YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I saw him live with his Arkestra in my hometown in the early nineties and some band member was selling dozens of albums, many looking like private press without artwork covers. I was overwhelmed and didn't buy anything....... that's remained pretty much the same to this day, despite (well: because!!!) of all the reissues of the last few years.I buy so much stuff out of curiosity but I just don't know where to start with Sun Ra.Somebody give me the lowdown, please.

Comments

• What era of sun-ra do you like? He's gone from doo-wop to bop to noise and back again.

That said, my fave albums are lanquidity and the one with salah regab on praxis. As good a place to start as any.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    My favorite SR 45: I'm Gonna Unmask The Batman (both versions)

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    don't sleep on john gilmore because imho he is a motherfucker

I saw ra on a vernal equinox in 91 and he played from midnight till 6 am in the morning at battery park-i hesitate to throw around the word "magical" due to the percieved new age connotations and general hoaky-ness inherent in the crux,but in this case it will suffice.
    he and the ark were truly in tune with the cosmos..best thing i ever saw...........period.

i've yet to ear a sun ra lp i didn't enjoy.
    i have found so few of his og records in the field,but the ones i own are among my most prized lps
    that cd box set with all of the R&b/doo wop material is comprehensively off the chain , and it gives you the depth of field he was capable of achieving beyond his "standard" repetois.

its not for everyone but those that know...........worship at the alter
    what couldn't he conjure?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    his 'greatest hits' (lol) gives you a decent overview of the different styles he touched on

i also dig his singles collection, altho its v. odd

lanquidity is gorgeous too, 'thats how i feel' is one of the most incredible songs.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

BUT U DONT START W/ THE GUITAR DUO ALBUM FOR AN INTRO TO SUN-RA.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

With Sun-Ra, you really CAN start anywhere. I believe he'd tell you as much, if he weren't in the cosmos. If you're going to go chronologically, then I guess not.

How is that Lacy Gibson solo LP, for cats who know?

With Sun-Ra, you really CAN start anywhere. I believe he'd tell you as much, if he weren't in the cosmos. If you're going to go chronologically, then I guess not.

i disagree. him as a keyboardist/piano player behind a guitar duo is like starting w/ Jimi Hendrix w/ the Isley Bros. its not his vision.
    i think u should start w/ him as the leader.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

i disagree. him as a keyboardist/piano player behind a guitar duo is like starting w/ Jimi Hendrix w/ the Isley Bros. its not his vision.
    i think u should start w/ him as the leader.

I was just expressing my love for the song. l appreciate that single and don't see why it necessarily has to be compared to that LP - it makes me smile on its own. The Perfect Man (the B on the 1983 version) is craziness.

I personally start the Isleys from the top. Jimi was a part of their band, and not the other way around.

Again: I really don't think that there needs to be a start with Sun-Ra, unless you're strictly tracing his growth from start to finish. And even chronologically, that's a tall task.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    To answer the question directly, the Space Is The Place LP on Blue Thumb is a nice, general example of his work. It's also an easily digestible album, for better or worse, depending on what you know/don't know about Jazz in general.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

When you speak of sun ra, "odd" goes with the territory, don't you think?

Thing about it is, my starting point with Sun Ra was the singles compilation, mainly because (1) since i'm a major fan of blues and fifties R&B, I wanted to catch up on that side of Saturn Records, and (b) at the time, for my tastes, the best way to get into Sun Ra was through the singles, since they were two-and-a-half to three minutes long and ended before you had a chance to get tired of them.

Perfect intro. I now own quite a few of those Evidence reissues, in varying styles, and I'm into it all the way now.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

When you speak of sun ra, "odd" goes with the territory, don't you think?

Thing about it is, my starting point with Sun Ra was the singles compilation, mainly because (1) since i'm a major fan of blues and fifties R&B, I wanted to catch up on that side of Saturn Records, and (b) at the time, for my tastes, the best way to get into Sun Ra was through the singles, since they were two-and-a-half to three minutes long and ended before you had a chance to get tired of them.

Perfect intro. I now own quite a few of those Evidence reissues, in varying styles, and I'm into it all the way now.

Additionally, as far as the early recordings go, the late 50s Delmark albums (Sun Song and Sound Of Joy) have never gone out of print, to my knowledge.

And then, there was Yochanan.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the singles collection provides a nice chronological overview of his recording career, so if you hear something that's appealling to you, you can follow up by checking out the albums from that era...

I would say its safe to start in the East Village period - 60's.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    For years I found the vastness (and relative obscurity) of Sun Ra's catalogue a bit overwhelming. I bought an album here and there, but it was a bit hit'n'miss as to what appealed to me. So finally, to get some kind of bird's eye view, I found a torrent (I actually think it's this one) with a shitload of Ra LPs. The doo-wop, the bop, the free, the electric, the acoustic, big bands, smaller ensembles - a good gauge of the different stuff he's done.

Slowly sifting through them and correlating with the discography info, I found the ones I liked or some pattern to what eras/styles were the most interesting to me. Then I just started keeping an eye out for the ones I liked, OGs (seldom) or reissues (more likely).

And yeah, Gilmore is a mother!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    from his "far out era" records I like "cosmic tones for mental therapy" and "magic city". I am not really feelin his earlier stuff yet, but there is a lot to discover.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Nubians of Plutonia
    Fate in a Pleasant Mood
    Angels and Demons at Play

These were 3 of the first I heard, and I was hooked for life.

If you can't find the LPs, one of the 90s Evidence reisusses on CD paired Angels and Demons at Play and Nubians of Plutonia. If that's still available, grab it.

The recording's a little lo-fi (which I actually see as a plus but others might not), but it's a nice window into a transitional period for him. Still working in a big-band mode with some echoes of Ellington and Fletcher Henderson, but moving into spiritual jazz with use of African instruments, strange arrangements, haunting drums, etc. Still, it doesn't get as far-out as some late 60s and 70s Sun Ra, which I also love but can be an acquired taste.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I don't know a lot about Sun Ra, but I often go back to "Interstellar low ways" and "Strange celestial road" - great albums. The first one is earlier, more straight ahead jazz, while the second is Rhodes and Moog in space over funky backing (but not that "out").

Sometimes I think about having a monthly Sun Ra budget, just so I'll know I'll at least gradually hear more and more of the mans catalogue.

Oh damn, I pulled out Interstellar... as I was writing this and Somewhere in Space just came on. That theme... too cool.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Oh damn, I pulled out Interstellar... as I was writing this and Somewhere in Space just came on. That theme... too cool.

Oddly enough, here at work "Tiny Pyramids" (off the Angels + Demons/Nubians CD I was just recommending) just came on; the only Sun Ra I have on an 80gb iPod set to random..

• the 90s Evidence reisusses on CD

i have to say the Evidence reissues are generally really good. I was lucky to stumble across Supersonic Jazz at a young age and it had a huge influence on me. I'm partial to Sunny's earlier big band stuff like that, although i do celebrate most of his catalog, including the solo piano jawns which I find quite engaging

• disco 3000

On the subject of Sun Ra, can anyone tell me where these clips were taken from:

One Sun Ra LP that is on my wishlist is "New Steps" from '78 on Horo, solely based on the fact that it contains "When There is No Sun". I think it's John Gilmore singing the lead vocals on it. What a gorgeous song. Does anyone have it on mp3 by chance? I haven't heard it in a long while.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'll co-sign on the singles CD. This is about the only thing I'll still listen to with any regularity. Wish it was on vinyl without the bad 90's photoshop graphics.

I mean, there's a ton of worthwhile Sun Ra records out there, but he's the kind of dude you've gotta make a huge commitment to. When I realized I didn't really need 50 of his albums I sorta gave up.

• One Sun Ra LP that is on my wishlist is "New Steps" from '78 on Horo, solely based on the fact that it contains "When There is No Sun". I think it's John Gilmore singing the lead vocals on it. What a gorgeous song. Does anyone have it on mp3 by chance? I haven't heard it in a long while.

I just picked this up a few months ago. The side with "where there is no sun" is killer, and includes a track called (I think) "twigs at twilight."

I'm pissed because I had the opportunity to pick up "...other blues" in the UK for around $90 and passed.... not a steal, but damn, I wish I had it now.

I guess it's no secret, considering what they sell for, but these sun-ras on horo are really nice!!

• PS dejean, check your PMs in 15... (SHH)

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    On the subject of Sun Ra, can anyone tell me where these clips were taken from:

No, but thanks for posting them Martin! Facemelting indeed.