producer/musician-strut: sampling or keyboard/smod

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
When making tracks do you take most of your main melodic sounds from samples or do you use keyboard or sound mod for the majority of the track? Any clearence/creative issues on not sampling? I sample heavily for most of my beats, but use synths/keys subtlety in the background for atmosphere and layers. Im not a strong enough player to do runs and chord progressions on the keys so i do lots of creative chopping and effects usage to get my "sound". More editing/engineering then playing if you can dig that.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I create a melody and look for some samples to re-create the said melody.

Sampling is the yeah yeah!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I create a melody and look for some samples to re-create the said melody.

I've been looking for samples first, then adding drums and whatever else. I'm trying to break out of that routine by working on percussion first then looking for melodies to put over it, but my itch to buy a really nice keyboard is flaring up again.

Has anyone tried or know someone who has a Nord Stage?

This thing is a BEAST, expanding on the popular Nord Electro keyboards that primarily emulate electric pianos like the Rhodes and Wurlitzer 200-A, but the Stage has weighted keys (!), unlike Electro. It's the perfect solution for someone who's always wanted to play those classic pianos, but want's nothing to do with maintaining or fixing them.

It sounds great from what I've heard, but I need to demo or seriously rap with someone who has one before dropping close to three grand.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I want this one :

THIS is a beast.

-

Someone please buy this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280159016357&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123

Dude is from Chicago.