Gil Scott Heron VS The Heath Brothers

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Okay so here are my 2 choices of shows that I want to see:The Heath Brothers (Jimmy & Tootie) at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music, tonight @ 8pm.orGil Scott-Heron at S.O.B.'s, Thursday @ 8pm.Now here's what I'm thinking:Going tonight would be dope. I've never seen The Heaths, and let's be honest, how much more time is there to see guys of this caliber? Plus, I gotta represent Philly you know. Also, it's at BCM which is like 3 blocks away from my house and like 2 blocks away from Southpaw - where I will be spinning tonight for The Rub. So I can be done with the show and just breeze right over.The only drawback is the timing, and having to get ready and hustle to the show and the hustle OUT of the show to make my own show...Or my second option. Go see Gil on Thursday.Now I know that for some of you that might even be a contest, but Gil is pretty much the TOP TOP TOP dude for me. I think I wrote a "break genesis" essay on it. He's it. Now I know that he's sick and, while I don't know whether or not that will make the performance even that more heartbreaking to me, I fully love the dude. Now I saw him perform in Philly back in 1994 and it was an INCREDIBLE show. I expect nothing less. Plus I think my wife would be more into him than the Heaths.Drawbacks is that it's Thursday night and I was looking forward to that being one of my only nights off where I stayed inside the house.So WWSSD? I want to know, informed opinions, insight, all that good shit. Also, let's just say I CANNOT attend both.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Heath Brothers.

Doesnt Gil play pretty regularly arounnd NYC?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't know. I'm sure he lives here, when he's not locked up I mean.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, this album is perfect for Saturday morning. Especially when I'm kind of hungover and Mr. Maldonado is banging the shit out of something in the hallway.

No doubt. I imagine that even though he's sick dude is one of those cats that can weather the storm.

Im no fan of the big ass Column on the dance floor of S.O.B. if u aint front n center its kind tight up in there for me.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    tuff call
    they both won't be around forever
    GSH has aids
    one of the heath bros died a few years ago
    can't you have it all?

You will not be able to stay home, brother.
    You will not be able to plug in, turn on and cop out.
    You will not be able to lose yourself on skag
    and Skip out for beer during commercials,
    Because the revolution will not be televised.

The revolution will not be televised.
    The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox
    In 4 parts without commercial interruptions.
    The revolution will not show you pictures of Nixon
    blowing a bugle and leading a charge by John
    Mitchell, General Abrams and Spiro Agnew to eat
    hog maws confiscated from a Harlem sanctuary.

The revolution will not be brought to you by the
    Schaefer Award Theatre and will not star Natalie
    Woods and Steve McQueen or Bullwinkle and Julia.
    The revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal.
    The revolution will not get rid of the nubs.
    The revolution will not make you look five pounds
    thinner, because the revolution will not be televised, Brother.

There will be no pictures of you and Willie May
    pushing that shopping cart down the block on the dead run,
    or trying to slide that color television into a stolen ambulance.
    NBC will not be able predict the winner at 8:32
    or report from 29 districts.

There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
    brothers in the instant replay.
    There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
    brothers in the instant replay.
    There will be no pictures of Whitney Young being
    run out of Harlem on a rail with a brand new process.
    There will be no slow motion or still life of Roy
    Wilkens strolling through Watts in a Red, Black and
    Green liberation jumpsuit that he had been saving
    For just the proper occasion.

Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Hooterville
    Junction will no longer be so damned relevant, and
    women will not care if Dick finally gets down with
    Jane on Search for Tomorrow because Black people
    will be in the street looking for a brighter day.

There will be no highlights on the eleven o'clock
    news and no pictures of hairy armed women
    liberationists and Jackie Onassis blowing her nose.
    The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb,
    Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom
    Jones, Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink, or the Rare Earth.

The revolution will not be right back
    after a message about a white tornado, white lightning, or white people.
    You will not have to worry about a dove in your
    bedroom, the tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.
    The revolution will not go better with Coke.
    The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath.
    The revolution will put you in the driver's seat.

The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised,
    will not be televised, will not be televised.
    The revolution will be no re-run brothers;
    The revolution will be live.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

No doubt. I imagine that even though he's sick dude is one of those cats that can weather the storm.

Im no fan of the big ass Column on the dance floor of S.O.B. if u aint front n center its kind tight up in there for me.

I haven't been there since I saw Roy Ayers do a show there in like 1995. Didn't they used to have Soul Kitchen there too?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    tuff call
    they both won't be around forever
    GSH has aids
    one of the heath bros died a few years ago
    can't you have it all?

It's just tough and timing wise with me and my wife, chances are we probably won't be able to see both. I remember missing seeing Miles Davis before he died by like 2 months, always kicking myself for that. At least I've had the chance to See Max Roach, Grover Washington Jr., Sonny Rollins (who's still kicking) but is also from that world so you know...

As for Gil, I know he's HIV positive but has it turned into full-blow AIDS yet? If so, it doesn't surprise me, but damn that sucks.

I haven't been there since I saw Roy Ayers do a show there in like 1995. Didn't they used to have Soul Kitchen there too?

I went to Soul Kitchen at WetLands, If I recall.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up Cosmo! I would try to go to both shows hommie. I'll be in NYC 10/13-10/21 and you know I'm going to The Village Vanguard:

October 16 - October 21
    THE HEATH BROTHERS
    Jimmy Heath-sax, Albert "Tootie" Heath-d,
    David Wong-b, Jeb Patton-p

Let me know if you want to link up and catch a Heath Brothers set at the Vanguard.

• Also, this album is perfect for Saturday morning. Especially when I'm kind of hungover and Mr. Maldonado is banging the shit out of something in the hallway.

Great album, on the mellow tip though Somethin' Else is killing it for me right now.

Go see Gil

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    Heath Bros.

I went to the last GSH show at SOB's back in September, and it was a huge let down for me. His drummer is just flat out bad. I imagine seeing him perform in 07 would ruin any memories you have of the 94 show.

• tough call on the shows..flip a coin. Or shit, if you gal would rather see Gil Scott..go for that one.

And on a sidenote, your buddy Espo clowned me on the alt.graffiti message board about 10 years ago or so when I used the phrase "I copped Mingus Moves the other day"...I think it was the use of the term "copped" that he found dumb. Why I remember this, I have no idea. Dude did send me some really nice photos of his stuff, though in a snail mail trade.

But umm yeah..take your shorty to see Gil and have fun!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I would say go and see G.S.H but I'm only
    saying that because I'm a fan.

• I would say go and see G.S.H but I'm only
    saying that because I'm a fan.

ditto...and I missed the chance to see him for free in Central Park when I was living in Brooklyn in like 1993...sad day...it was raining..we thought he'd be a no-show...turned out to be a dope concert (or at least the friends who went told us as they clowned on us for not coming through...)

• Now I know that for some of you that might even be a contest,

Not even bro, Gill-Scott all the way. Instead of thinking of it as you giving up your chill night look at thursday as your "doing something great" night instead.

AND You know Mr. K definetly fucks with some Gill-Scott.

• Also, let's just say I CANNOT attend both.

definitely go to both

otherwise, i'd say, make sure you see all those dudes play before they die. I've never seen Gil, so i would go to that. He might not be in top form or even what he was 12 years ago, but there's a lot to be said for just his presence

i saw J.Heath in the past couple years. he was in good shape. I bet that the Heath Bros will be playing pretty much strictly straight ahead, in case that helps your decision either way