Will Faux Rillz ride for Queen Latifah Jazz album?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I'm surprised he didn't predict its massive hitness ages ago. Trav'lin by light will be that solar flare!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm really sad to say this is a really, really dull album. The only moment of potential is where she covers Roberta Flack's "Gone Away" but it's such a loyal cover that Latifah barely puts her own self into it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think my dad copped her last one.

• I think my dad copped her last one.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think my dad copped her last one.

I borrowed it from my homie's mom. Grown N Sexy paint by numbers CD101 Jazz & Soul.
    A for effort.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm really sad to say this is a really, really dull album. The only moment of potential is where she covers Roberta Flack's "Gone Away" but it's such a loyal cover that Latifah barely puts her own self into it.

Also: I must say that between pulling for Kenny Chesney to outsell Kanye/50 and your embrace of artists that have "outgrown" rapping and progressed to singing badly, you're looking kind of suspect, Oliver.

Also: I must say that between pulling for Kenny Chesney to outsell Kanye/50 and your embrace of artists that have "outgrown" rapping and progressed to singing badly, you're looking kind of suspect, Oliver.

I was pulling for Chesney not b/c I like (or even know) his music but just b/c I was tired of the Kanye/50 noise. I'm sure you weren't jazzed on all the weak trash talk either.

And Latifah isn't a bad singer insofar as she has a decent voice. I mean, under the right circumstances, ol' girl can sing. The problem is that, right now, she's just mad generic and hasn't really found a way to distinguish herself as a vocalist in terms of exuding a personality. It'd help if she left more of the Great American songbook alone and instead, tried to come with more imaginative songwriting.

• ooooooooooh ladies first ladies first

that was a good song

ooooooooooh ladies first ladies first

that was a good song

Alas, also from almost 20 years ago. NPR was playing "U.N.I.T.Y." the other day and much as I support the message, it was kind of painful to listen to as far as performances go.