Vintage Frequency Test LPs?

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone have any 50s/60s/70s LPs that contain steadily rising frequencies and tones or the kind of effects you could just spin straight over the top of a set to add to that pysch vibe...Maybe there were some expermintal ones made or something?

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Does anyone have any 50s/60s/70s LPs that contain steadily rising frequencies and tones or the kind of effects you could just spin straight over the top of a set to add to that pysch vibe...

Maybe there were some expermintal ones made or something?

I have at least ten of these records. Most cartridge companies made them, as well as audio equiqment manufacturers. The test tones used are simple waves, which you can create yourself. Sine wave generator. Most samplers have sine, square, triangle waves built into them, all you need to do is loop. By changing the relative pitch of the sample you can change the frequency. Or assign it to a monophonic keypad and you can play it like an instrument. It's probably one of the easiest "noises" to make, seriously.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I have some test LPs, but they all contain crap samples of marraccas and shit. Nothing really too trippy.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I think I still have this LP with Morse Code all over it, don't know if that counts tho

A bit like the rising tone at the end of this clip.

Real Audio

All of the effects are just being straight played over the set.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Buy them and flip them.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Shure Balance Test (excerpt)

I have another one, let me see if I can find it around here.

=====

EDIT: This is the only graphic of it I could find, it's on Yorkshire Records

This one is nice, as it has some pulsating beats that start very slow and speed up, and a bunch of other things that go WWWWWWWWWWUH, WWWWWWWWWWWUH, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWUH! BMMMP BMMMP BMMMMP.

I'm going to make a quick song out of this. I'll be back in a few.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I always pass them to my fellow classical sellers collectors and then I see them on ebay for $50, lol.

I always pass them to my fellow classical sellers collectors and then I see them on ebay for $50, lol.

Yeah, classical vinyl junkies are a world unto themselves. Awhile back I had bought that big lot of 300+ records, and a good chunk of them were classical. I was able to get rid of those in time. Those are the guys who can afford $5000 tube amps to be able to hear the silence between vamps.

I already did. Let's compare notes.

A bit like the rising tone at the end of this clip.

Real Audio

All of the effects are just being straight played over the set.

By the sound of the clip, you'd want to start with a square wave. Find one cycle (where the pattern of the square begins and ends -- if you connect it to itself, the two ends will match), loops it, assign it to a keyboard controller, and set the key parameters to monophonic/portamento.

Monophonic simply means it will only play one "key" (the sample is stretched across all the keys) at a time, and when you change keys, the portamento feature makes the sample glide from one note to the next. There is a time adjustment feature for this as well, so the glide can be stretched out or made sharp.

Experiment with the envelope attack and decay/sustain settings to make it less abrupt sounding.

A rough and tumble way would be to leave the sample looped in your sampler and just audition it while using the pitch wheel to made it glide up or down.

By the sound of the clip, you'd want to start with a square wave. Find one cycle (where the pattern of the square begins and ends -- if you connect it to itself, the two ends will match), loops it, assign it to a keyboard controller, and set the key parameters to monophonic/portamento.

Monophonic simply means it will only play one "key" (the sample is stretched across all the keys) at a time, and when you change keys, the portamento feature makes the sample glide from one note to the next. There is a time adjustment feature for this as well, so the glide can be stretched out or made sharp.

Experiment with the envelope attack and decay/sustain settings to make it less abrupt sounding.

A rough and tumble way would be to leave the sample looped in your sampler and just audition it while using the pitch wheel to made it glide up or down.

Sound advice much appreciated. Thanks.

The bomb. Esp the 'Track the groove, Track, Track the groove' part.

Thats off that Obstacle Course LP.

That last bit is off 'How to C.B' isn't it?

Anyone heard Jimmy Green - The Robot?

MAD effects for the era.

The bomb. Esp the 'Track the groove, Track, Track the groove' part.

Thats off that Obstacle Course LP.

That last bit is off 'How to C.B' isn't it?

Haha. Damn. Yea, the dude's voice is from the Shure Cartridge (yellow) LP John pictured above. How to CB is in there (there's 3 different CB records, collect them all!), as well as some deejay instructional shit.

Post some audio of your trials. It'd be interesting to see what you come up with.

Alright here is my track. When I was making one, I had wanted to fool around with the beats that were also on the same record. I ended up making something else, so I'll make a song out of it tonight, put it on my next album.

But this is the bloops and bleeps.

Crut-Channel Balance Test

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    classical collectors
    I never listen to classical ever, yo.

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    Got this one. fits your description cuz it has some crazy sounding tones.

Alright here is my track. When I was making one, I had wanted to fool around with the beats that were also on the same record. I ended up making something else, so I'll make a song out of it tonight, put it on my next album.

But this is the bloops and bleeps.

Crut-Channel Balance Test

Whoa............. All the animals were goin nuts outside over those frequencies.

• whatwhatwhatwhat 89 Posts
    Does anyone have any 50s/60s/70s LPs that contain steadily rising frequencies and tones or the kind of effects you could just spin straight over the top of a set to add to that pysch vibe...

Maybe there were some expermintal ones made or something?

Tony Conrad "Fantastic Glissando"

A whole album of slowly rising tones!

Whoa............. All the animals were goin nuts outside over those frequencies.

Animals? Ah, you mean my fanbase! That was for them, I asked them about their food this afternoon.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    anybody know of any appearances of the Shepard tone on wax?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I have one called The Fisher fidelity something or other... I can???t really remember but I really liked it a while back, it contains a song called "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" by Enoch Light & His Orchestra... dope! It has those string sounding irritating noises... I think I used it for a song too...