Racial slur in car ad prompts dealership apology

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
GEORGETOWN, Texas ??? A car dealership issued an apology and fired a sales manager over the distribution of an e-mail advertisement that included a derogatory term for Hispanics.The Mac Haik Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership ad was headlined "Tired of the Wet Backs????"[/b] It then listed promotions for vehicles with air-conditioned seats.The e-mail advertisement was sent last week to 1,200 customers, including members of the Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.Haik General Manager Michael Winot met Tuesday with directors from the Hispanic Chamber and the League of United Latin American Citizens."I got calls from people who found it very offensive," said Paul M. Saldana, chairman of the board of the Hispanic Chamber.Winot said a company investigation found that the ad was produced by the dealership's general sales manager, who has been fired as a result. He declined to name the manager."We would like to assure everyone that immediate action was taken against those responsible for writing and placing the subject advertisement," Winot said in a statement.Winot said he did not see the advertisement before it was distributed."I did not see that ad, and when it was shown to me, my first reaction was 'No way!'" he said.From now on, ads will be reviewed by several managers, including Winot."We will take all necessary steps to prevent incidents similar to this from occurring," he said.Susan Hensley, director of human resources for Mac Haik Management Ltd. of Houston, said the company instituted a sensitivity training course for employees last spring."I've also been told we can get similar training from the Hispanic Chamber, and I am excited about that," Hensley said. "It'll be part of our ongoing program."

Comments