New Rock?... anyone?

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I saw !!! this past week and they were dope.. not new by any means.Anyone listening to new rock ish?

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i'm currently rockin out to these:

oh- really feelin this too!

• finally picked up the latest Dungen, I like it...not as deep of songwriting as on past LPs and more jammy guitar psych jams in lieu of actual songs...so that was kind of a disappointment, but dude knows what he is doing so the jammmy tunes dont suck or anything...just was hopin' for more actual songs...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    finally picked up the latest Dungen, I like it...not as deep of songwriting as on past LPs and more jammy guitar psych jams in lieu of actual songs...so that was kind of a disappointment, but dude knows what he is doing so the jammmy tunes dont suck or anything...just was hopin' for more actual songs...

Yeah, that record was a let down. I can only really get into the first track.

• PARTS & LABOR - Mapmaker

Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Live, Baltimore is killing it these days. Definitely recommend:
    The Celebration
    Dan Higgs
    Thank You
    Dan Deacon
    Ponytail
    --and/or--
    Ecstatic Sunshine
    ...if they come to town.

On record so far from 2007, some rock I like:

Boris w/ Michio Kurihara (from Ghost) -- Rainbow
    Thurston Moore -- Trees Outside the Academy
    Oxbow -- The Narcotic Story
    Drudkh -- Estrangement
    Thank You -- World City

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    finally picked up the latest Dungen, I like it...not as deep of songwriting as on past LPs and more jammy guitar psych jams in lieu of actual songs...so that was kind of a disappointment, but dude knows what he is doing so the jammmy tunes dont suck or anything...just was hopin' for more actual songs...

Let down? Are we talkin about the record that has this song on it?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    ditto the new dungen is meh

these have been gettin it done for me this year

witch (j mascis on drums!)
    Earthless - Rhythms from a cosmic sky
    Earth - hibernaculum
    Boris w Michio Kurahai - rainbow
    Monarch! - dawn of the catalyst
    Burried inside (older but they're playign here in a couple weeks)
    Neurosis - given to the rising
    The Assembled Head in Sunburst Sound
    Baroness - Red Album
    Jesu - Conqueror
    Wolves in the throne room - diadium of 12 stars
    om - pilgirmage

• FOR DAYS

• FOR DAYS
    I still need to hear/acquire this...I was in this indie rock record store this weekend and was hopin they had it, but no dice. Can, as the kids say, you give us a "sip of the juice?" Just a track, no giving the way the LP ar anything.

i like this like i like wes anderson movies. they're always the same, yet i keep finding myself going back...

The Celebration
    Dan Higgs
    Thank You
    Dan Deacon
    Ponytail
    --and/or--
    Ecstatic Sunshine
    ...if they come to town.

I gotta agree - Bmore is hot right now. How's the Celebration full-length?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

i like this like i like wes anderson movies. they're always the same, yet i keep finding myself going back...

Yep, completely unspectacular and spectacular at the same time.

oh yeah this is also a good/stupid good time:

The Celebration
    Dan Higgs
    Thank You
    Dan Deacon
    Ponytail
    --and/or--
    Ecstatic Sunshine
    ...if they come to town.

Well, they have two -- the first came out in late 2005 on 4AD, did you hear that one? I like it a lot, although it is more "produced" than most people in town were hoping. Their live shows were killing people all through 2005, we're talking people actually spinning into incoherent frenzies of ecstatic pleasure, and the record is a great collection of songs that conveys some, but not all, of that feeling.

For people outside of town, I think that record wasn't quite the calling card it could have been -- but when people see them live, they get it.

Their next one is due out in a week or so. Haven't heard it yet. Judging from a recent live shows, their new songs are a lot prettier, and have a slow build that owes something to vintage R+B.

• the band's name is just "Baltimore"? info plaese?

Edit - Oh - some bands mentioned are from bmore - i see

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Let down? Are we talkin about the record that has this song on it?

Love that track. I thought the album was real real dope!

Well, they have two -- the first came out in late 2005 on 4AD, did you hear that one? I like it a lot, although it is more "produced" than most people in town were hoping. Their live shows were killing people all through 2005, we're talking people actually spinning into incoherent frenzies of ecstatic pleasure, and the record is a great collection of songs that conveys some, but not all, of that feeling.

For people outside of town, I think that record wasn't quite the calling card it could have been -- but when people see them live, they get it.

Their next one is due out in a week or so. Haven't heard it yet. Judging from a recent live shows, their new songs are a lot prettier, and have a slow build that owes something to vintage R+B.
    I gotta admit - I only know her from the TVotR song "Staring at the sun" - and that alone has me intrigued.

Yeah-- Dave Sitek from TVOTR is from Baltimore and produced both Celebration records.

Personally, I much prefer The Celebration, both live and on record.

All three members of The Celebration are amazing, but it's soulstrut so let me single out the drummer as fucking amazing.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Am I the only one who will ride for Marc Ribot?

- spidey

There's also this very "hip" downtown NY band now called the Virgins. They're dope- good show, good tunes...very new wave-y. I cant tell if they're gonna be the new Squeeze/Elvis Costello or the new Strokes/phoenix- they fit in there somewhere.

Signed to Atlantic- could be huge.

http://www.myspace.com/thevirginsnyc

Am I the only one who will ride for Marc Ribot?

- spidey

I liked a lot of his late 80s early 90s material but haven't kept up. Based on your recommending that and cosigning on Rainbow, I'm curious. What does the Ribot sound like?

Ribot in sabbath blues mclaughlin mode.

- spidey

Ribot in sabbath blues mclaughlin mode.

- spidey

Hmm, sounds interesting -- plus I see he's playing w/ Trevor Dunn, who I like. I'll check it out.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Diggin' this Awesome Color record:

Sort of Stooges-esque.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I've heard great things about Fatal Film.

And yeah, !!! rocks my world. Out Hud contains several of the same members, and has a similar no wave sound to !!!'s first album.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Wolf & Cub "Vessels"

Not really a rock band per se, but I am so feeling this new Giallos FLAME!!!

Giallos Flame - Live From Dunwich

This is library nerd rock in the form of italian horror flicks (Goblin, Osanna).

- spidey

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

I gotta admit - I only know her from the TVotR song "Staring at the sun" - and that alone has me intrigued.
    Some reason i thought this band was an import. This is the same band that has 3 people (gurrl singer) an organ occasionaly, um... and they get pretty tear-the-walls-down? I think the band I'm familiar with tour with deerhoof a while back... They from Baltimore?

WTF?