Bmore: FREE 3-D Movies All October @ The Charles!

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited October 2007 in Announcements
Maryland Film Festival and Free Fall Baltimore Present... Free Fall 3D SeriesA rare opportunity to see these classic movies projected in two-projector 3-D. Wed Oct 3 Dial M for Murder Wed Oct 10 Mad Magician Wed Oct 17 House of Wax Wed Oct 24 Kiss Me Kate Dates and titles subject to change. All screenings begin at 7pm at the Charles Theatre and are free and open to the public.TO RSVP: Email [email]tickets@mdfilmfest.com[/email] include your name and email address or call 410 752 8083 for tickets. Free Fall Baltimore is made possible by a grant from Mayor Sheila Dixon and the Baltimore Office ofPromotion& The Arts. Special thanks to Free Fall Baltimore media sponsors: Maryland Public Television, WBAL-TV, 92Q-FM, and Magic 95.9-FM

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Dial M For Murder is tonight.

tomorrow (Wednesday)...
    Maryland Film Fest's FREE 3-D series at the Charles continues with:

Vincent Price in THE MAD MAGICIAN (1954, 72 minutes, 2-projector 3-D!!!)
    WEDNESDAY 10/10, 7pm, Charles Theatre

Vincent Price, once again wonderfully typecast as a maniacal artist out for revenge, is in most devious top form in this, one of Columbia Picture's last 3-D productions during 3-D's Golden Age. Price plays Don Gallico, a man who designs magic tricks sold to more famous magicians. Yearning for some of the glory his tricks have brought others, he strikes out on his own as "Gallico the Great," but his mission soon mutates into a mad plan to murder everyone who's ever wronged him -- including the man who stole his wife.

The production values for this black-and-white horror classic are excellent, and 3-D expert R.M. Hayes says of The Mad Magician: "The 3-D gimmicks were excellent, and the depth on all scenes were some of the finest examples of stereoscopic cinematography ever... it may be the clearest and sharpest 35mm 3-D feature ever made."

The screening is FREE (and glasses are provided), but we an RSVP is recommended for guaranteed seating. Email [email]tickets@mdfilmfest.com[/email] (include your name, email address, and # of seats desired) to RSVP.

The Charles Theatre is located @ 1711 N. Charles Street, 1 block north of Penn Station in downtown Baltimore.

Mad Magician in 3-D is tonight.

Bear in mind that if you have other stuff you want to do tonight, this will leave you with the time and money to do those things...

This event'll be done by 9, and it's free!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I will be there, also in 3-D.

House of Wax is this Wednesday...

FREE SCREENING AT THE CHARLES THEATRE, 7pm Wednesday 10/17.

Forget the remake... see the Vincent Price original as it was meant to be seen -- in two-projector 3-D![/b]

The first 3-D movie to be distributed by a major studio, 1953's House of Wax stars Vincent Price[/b] as Henry Jarrod, a brilliant sculptor and co-owner of a wax museum. When Jarrod's nefarious business partner burns down the museum as part of an insurance scam, he leaves Jarrod for dead. But Jarrod resurfaces with a new gallery dedicated to an exhibition of horrors -- a gallery of wax figures that slowly grows in numbers as Jarrod's enemies disappear one by one! Directed by Andre de Toth, this campy, diabolical horror film remains one of the most popular and most effective films of the classic era of Hollywood 3-D.

House of Wax is tonight, 7pm, Charles Threatre, FREE.

Kiss Me Kate in 3-D is this Wednesday, 7pm, Charles Theatre FREE.

The Maryland Film Festival's 3-D FREE October 3-D series concludes this week with Kiss Me Kate, the most magical of all 3-D musicals. As Elvis Mitchell writes in The New York Times of the 3-D revival print of Kiss Me Kate: "The young Bob Fosse, moving his hips in a snaky wriggle and dropping his shoulders in 3-D? How can you miss it?" Mitchell also notes that the film feels like "history being made on the screen," and that "the Technicolor process itself makes the film so eye-poppingly crisp that it almost seems three-dimensional without the special glasses." Don't miss Kiss Me Kate as it was meant to be seen but so rarely is -- in two-projector 3-D!

Our FREE 3-D series comes with the support of Free Fall Baltimore, the gracious cooperation of John Standiford and our friends at the Charles Theatre, and the expertise of Baltimore's resident 3-D fanatic, Chris Kaltenbach of The Baltimore Sun.

Kiss Me Kate is tonight, 7pm, Charles Theatre, FREE[/b].

This is the last film in the series, don't miss it!