Cell Phone Strut...should I buy this phone...

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
so, I went to turn in my broken Sidekick2(yeah im behind the times, sue me)..and they offered me either the SK3(which they said they are about to quit carrying..basically on its way out. Once they sell what they have left, they arent restocking), The Blackberry Pearl joint..or the HTC S620 phone. I choose the HTC but forgot my atm card and it was closing time so they are holding it for me until this morning. They said the HTC was by far the best phone out of those three(the SK3 being the worst). Honestly, I hadnt even heard of the HTC, but I do know its like almost $500 retail and is more for the business man(as opposed as the Sidekick for the teenager). It runs Windows mobile..wifi..etc....anyways..anyone familar with them? Pros? Cons?Here is a picture w/ the specs below(sorry for so much text below, but I just copied and pasted from a site)....Geeks please tell me whats the deal is w/ this joint. I should be picking it up in about an hour or two.Platform# Messaging centric Smartphone with QWERTYkeyboard# Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 SmartphoneProcessor/Chipset# TI OMAP 850, 200 MHzMemory# ROM: 128 MB# RAM: 64 MBDimensions# 111.5mm (L) x 62.5mm (W) x 12.8mm (T)LCD Module# 2.4" 320 x 240 color LCD# LED back lightGSM/GPRS/ EDGE Functional Block# Internal antenna# GSM Quad# band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz# EDGE/GPRS: class B, Multi-slot standard class 10Wireless LAN# WiFi 802.11b/gDevice-to-Device Connectivity# Bluetooth 2.0Digital Camera# 1.3 mega-pixel CMOS image sensorPower# Battery# Removable and chargeable battery, 970mAh# AC adaptor# AC input: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 HzKeyboard/Button/Switch# Power Key# Send/ Hands-free key# End/ Key lock key# 2 soft keys# Home Key# Back Key# 5-way navigator# 3-way Jog bar, Start key, Back key# 10-column QWERTY keyboardNotification# One bi-color LED for GSM network status, notification, and charging status# Two respective (blue and green) LEDs in one lens for Bluetooth / WiFi# Notification by LED, sound, message, and vibrationAudio# Microphone# Receiver# Loud speaker for Hands-Free supportedInterface# 3V SIM Card slot# MicroSD Card slot# HTC ExtUSB (11-pin, mini-USB & audio jack in one)# External Antenna ConnectorAccessories# Standard# AC adapter# USB Sync. Cable# Stereo wired headset with microphone# User manual, quick start guide & software CD# Option# Pouch# Mono Bluetooth headset# Stereo Bluetooth headset# Car adapterMicrosoft Windows Mobile Version 5.0-Smartphone Applications# Pocket Outlook# Calendar, Contacts, Messaging, Tasks, & VoiceNotes# Direct Push Mail# Internet Explorer Mobile# Windows Media Player 10 Mobile# Pictures & Videos# ActiveSync Client# Pocket MSN# Modem Link# Device Management# OTA Provisioning# Calculator# Games# File ManagerValue Added Applications# Camera capture utility# Camcorder utility# H.263, MPEG4# WMP 10 DirectShow plug in to support playing more audio/video format# Audio Codec# MP3/ WMA / AMR/ AAC/ AAC+ (optional)# Video Codec# MPEG4 / H.263 / Motion JPG# MMS Client# Document Viewer ??? Word / Excel / PowerPoint / PDF# OMA DRM v1.0# T9 IME for Smartphone# SIM Manager# Comm. Manager# STK 99# Task Manager# Unlock Screen Clock

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    HTC make really good phones. It's only recently that they've started marketing the things under their own name but iJam and iMode and T-Mobile and a bunch of others are just rebranded models. I've had HTC phones for about three years and just got one of these today:

There's a more expensive one with a keyboard rather than touch screen, too:

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I can't help you but I'm waiting for this phone to drop at the end of the month

• I can't help you but I'm waiting for this phone to drop at the end of the month

Help me out here...how do you know what phones are coming out when? This is coming from someone who uses this phone:

so obviously I'm clueless. I'm on T-mobile, I've had only two cellphones in 8 years, but it is really time to get a new one since the alarm clock function doesn't work as of last week and I am waking up too late. Other than that, I love having thee oldest phone on the block- it never gets lost and always gets returned to me if I misplace it- nobody wants to be caught with that clunker!

T-mobile always seems to have pretty boring phones, so how (or can I) find sexxy phones that can work on the T-mobile network?

• so I got the HTC I posted a pic of(first post up top). Shits dope so far..although I havent really even gotten to play with it too much yet. I am stoked on being able to download and watch movies and shit(yeah..2 hr movies..not video clips, although I can do that too). It also has wifi..so if if in my Starbucks or Barnes, I can jack their wifi and get that super fast internet speed. My girl got the Blackberry Pearl which seems cool..but I just cant fuck with multiple letters on the same buttons(too lazy for that!). I am also glad this HTC is my new mp3 player since I dont have an ipod. Oh..and its crazy how thin this bitch is. It's like as thin as a pen or something. So much better than a Sidekick bulging out of your pocket looking like u have a fat boner all the time...or maybe that was a good thing?

AYO TECHNOLOGY! gnome talmbout?

• yeah get it
    looks dope and it seems like a good phone for awhile
    maybe you should base your buy on the bells and whistles
    if you are gonna use it for all that then get it
    if not get something more your style
    good luck

• looking like u have a fat boner all the time...or maybe that was a good thing?
    i used to wonder about this a lot. do you come off better with the girls hiding wood or just rockin out with it??? i was talkin to my boy once about this girl i used to dance with mad sexily and i asked him, "damn what do you do when you catch wood on the dance floor?" He said thats when you know to pull her tight to you and put that jawn right up on her!!! LOL

anyway...can anyone help out with my phone situation?

i am finally near the end of my Tmobile contract (novemeber)
    i have been using a nice lil samsung camera fliptop i got at a flea market for $5.
    lost it this weekend. doh!

1.what do i do to get a sim card again?
    2.what should i do about getting a new phone? (i dont need accesories, but camera was handy as hell)i do not want to reup with Tmobile. i might be able to find a friend who has an extra clunker.
    3.lost phone on friday. what steps should i take post loss? anyway i might get it back??? i'm guessing if someone found it, batteries were dead and they just trashed the sim card and kept the phone. right?

thanks soulstrut

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Oh..and its crazy how thin this bitch is. It's like as thin as a pen or something. So much better than a Sidekick bulging out of your pocket looking like u have a fat boner all the time...or maybe that was a good thing?

AYO TECHNOLOGY! gnome talmbout?

I'm sayin'! I've had this phone for close to (or maybe over?) a year now and it STILL feels as smooth as a non-melting chocolate bar.

Check your PM's for the realNESs.

• damn herm, i thought you were about to shine some advice my way. instead we get you talking bout the feel and long lastingness of chocolate bars shaped things.

damn herm, i thought you were about to shine some advice my way. instead we get you talking bout the feel and long lastingness of chocolate bars shaped things.

Sorry, hoLmes. I'm T-Mobile por vida. I've been with them for close to 7 years now and they've done me proper the whole time. *PASUE* Last time I went in dude just gave me a new SIM card and transferred everything over for me. Matter of fact, I might still have that phone. I remember it being pretty awesome, too.

Give me some time. If I find it, it's yours, T La Rock Double.

• there we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    tanks man. yo, so did the sim card he gave you have your #s still stored in it?????
    i lost so many record leads and femmefatale numbers. tony never completely breaks up with the exes...but losing all the old numbers makes the game mighty tricky.

there we goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    tanks man. yo, so did the sim card he gave you have your #s still stored in it?????

Yeah, he had this little machine that transferred all the info from my old card into the new card. Took like 5-10 minutes or so.

tony never completely breaks up with the exes...but losing all the old numbers makes the game mighty tricky.

I never ever burn bridges. I can comfortably and respectfully hug every woman I've ever broke beds bread with.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I have an extra T-Mobile phone and charger that you can have, Tone. You'd need to get a simcard, which they should give you free at the store. I'm pretty sure it'll be blank, but at least you'll be up and running with your current number.

HLLR @ ME

• I have an extra T-Mobile phone and charger that you can have, Tone. You'd need to get a simcard, which they should give you free at the store. I'm pretty sure it'll be blank, but at least you'll be up and running with your current number.

HLLR @ ME

yo drew, you are a true prince
    pm me your digits, cause yours got lost along with the lovely ladies of el universo!

• Yeah, he had this little machine that transferred all the info from my old card into the new card. Took like 5-10 minutes or so.
    can they conjur up my lost numbers though??? cause my joint is completely lost

I never ever burn bridges. I can comfortably and respectfully hug every woman I've ever broke beds bread with.
    hahahha. you the man!!! i got an old dear friend coming over right now to put some type of healing witch poultice on the ill spiderbite i got on my arm that swelled up ove rthe weekend (noeuphamism)

Yeah, he had this little machine that transferred all the info from my old card into the new card. Took like 5-10 minutes or so.
    can they conjur up my lost numbers though??? cause my joint is completely lost

hahahha. you the man!!! i got an old dear friend coming over right now to put some type of healing witch poultice on the ill spiderbite i got on my arm that swelled up ove rthe weekend (noeuphamism)

I think you're S.O.L. on the digits, my friend. Once the card is lost, se acabo. Back them shits up next time!

Regarding old lady friends...old habits are hard to break. I'm trying to stay AWAY from that, though. Keep it at "peck on the cheek" rather than "slappin' the cheeks," youfeelme? I've done pretty good this year, even walked away like the James Gang when I've had an offer on the table. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Trust, it's hard for us true gangsters of love. I was like Sam Malone meets Al Capone, now I'd rather just chill at home all alone. Times they are a-changin'.

b/w

I might be reading too much into your graemlin usage, but did "Salma" rock the ill hoop earrings BITD?

Okay, I've had my HTC Touch for 24 hours. It fucking sucks.

Carry on.

• hmmmm, dont remember hoop earing girl. this salma didnt.
    she made me drink some weird shit last night ! propolis, grapefruit seed extract, bitter herbs,etc, etc but its curing my swelling (ayo)

• Okay, I've had my HTC Touch for 24 hours. It fucking sucks.

Carry on.

I'm diggin' the Dash, so far...why dont you like yours?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The iPhone is a piece of shit, and so is your face.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

Okay, I've had my HTC Touch for 24 hours. It fucking sucks.

Carry on.

I'm diggin' the Dash, so far...why dont you like yours?

Well, I loved my old HTC model but the speaker kept blowing:

First off, the Touch has no 3.5mm headphone socket. USB headphones suck. USB headphone adaptors suck. A real drag for a phone that's suppose to be a quality media player too.

Secondly, counter-intuitive navigation. Endless menus to step through and you have to go back to the home screen all the time.

Thirdly, you'd need to be a foetus to have fingers small enough to use most of the touch-screen options. The old phone was fine. This one is for ants.

Lastly, no 3G.

Looks beautiful though.

• Btw, that dudes site is hilarious..thanks for hipping me to it.
    http://maddox.xmission.com/

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Btw, that dudes site is hilarious..thanks for hipping me to it.
    http://maddox.xmission.com/

Cool. It has to be one of the funniest corners of the interwebs, but he is terrible at updating.

He has published two books as well, but i have not read them.

check out the hatemail section for real laughs.