Any Wine Drinkers? Rep it here.

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
There's something about drinking wine and listening to records. It's a good combination for real.I love red wine. Don't know a thing about it but I do know when I have a good glass. I like deep, slightly bitter stuff. Don't know if that's dry, or wet, Merlot, or Cabernet Sovenion. I don't want to blow thousands, drinking garbage till I find the good stuff. What's that shit when it come to the vino.Years ago I used to buy Valpolaccella, which I liked a lot, but I recently saw some and it's a nine dollar bottle. I said, ew. LOLI like chianti but it seems a little flat.One time I bought a bottle of Raspberry wine from Washington state. Had that with pasta and FRESH pesto. It was so good all i could do is laugh. It was like the fist time I got real stoned. I'm not talking about the buzz from the wine, but the buzz from the flavor.

Comments

• Some fool on here (Aser? PCMR? Who?) is friends with the NYTimes wine critic, Eric Asimov.

Talk to that dude.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yeah and if you searched youd find a bunch of wine threads.

• I'm not the most discriminating drinker, myself...But, i've been drunk on tasteBUDS, yo.

I'm gonna miss white wine now that this time of year is ending.

• yeah and if you searched youd find a bunch of wine threads.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    yeah and if you searched youd find a bunch of Amy Winehouse threads.

yeah and if you searched youd find a bunch of wine threads.

wow.
    no. are you?
    i was just saying you could find some threads on wine to check out. this apparently is not cool to do. let me

• Nah, I'm not mad, homey.

Just seemed like you were because that's like the automatic knee jerk reaction for uptight forum browsers.

Use the search function, dammit!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm drinking a bottle of BV Cellars merlot right now while I'm cooking dinner. I'll post some wine stuff after I eat.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Just finished the Santa Fe Wine and Chile festival. Patz and Hall did a dinner at the restaurant I work at--that was awesome.

Shafer cab's also bring the heat.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Just got done drinking a bottle of this: http://www.steelewines.com/ with a lady friend.

Vinyl playlist for the wine:

Candy Stanton>Donald Byrd>Dr. Lonnie Smith> Curtis Mayfield> Johnny Cash

• That's whatI'm talkin about. So the wine was bomb then?

This is a great fuckin album BTW.

Somebody jacked my copy from a garage, though. I got the CD but it's, obviously, not the same.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    im gonna assume youre looking for a solid bottle in that $10-20 range?

try the following...

Twenty Bench ~$16 (i just tried this recently and its my new favorite wine, very robust and smooth)

6th Sense Syrah ~$13

Liberty School Cabernet ~$12

Conn Creek Cabernet ~$15

Les Caves Joseph Bordeaux ~$5 (At Trader Joes and pretty good. Decant it for an hour or so and youre set to go)

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    There's something about drinking wine and listening to records. It's a good combination for real.

I love red wine. Don't know a thing about it but I do know when I have a good glass. I like deep, slightly bitter stuff. Don't know if that's dry, or wet, Merlot, or Cabernet Sovenion. I don't want to blow thousands, drinking garbage till I find the good stuff. What's that shit when it come to the vino.

Years ago I used to buy Valpolaccella, which I liked a lot, but I recently saw some and it's a nine dollar bottle. I said, ew. LOL

I like chianti but it seems a little flat.

One time I bought a bottle of Raspberry wine from Washington state. Had that with pasta and FRESH pesto. It was so good all i could do is laugh. It was like the fist time I got real stoned. I'm not talking about the buzz from the wine, but the buzz from the flavor.

you should bomb it down here next Friday. There's a spot in Eagle Rock called Colorado Wine Co that does tastings every Fri. It's a store that specializes in good wines $25 and under.

a couple of the last gems I discovered there

• Now that its getting stanking hot here again:

Banrock Station White Shiraz.

And this...

has been getting me through the long hot nights i've been working.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    White Shiraz? Oh no you didn't.

I'm enjoying:

a little bit of this

and a little bit of this

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    White Shiraz? Oh no you didn't.

I'm enjoying:

a little bit of this

and a little bit of this

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Can someone recommend a good cheap sparkling wine?

I used to get this amazing stuff from a local spot
    that was $8.99 per bottle and tasted like $75 champagne,
    but then the connection dried up.

Preferably French, although I'm open to Italian or elsewhere,
    as long as it's not Californian. High yeast content is a plus.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    For cab lovers - I just got into this and am FEELING it - maybe a little too much. 2001 - $12.00 a bottle. Soooooooooooo dope. And peep that fire label too!!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    If you live somewhere where there's Trader Joes (or some kind of equivalent), buy every wine that costs less than $8 and figure out what you like for yourself. At that price point, if you buy something horrible you can toss it without feeling too guilty. Honestly I've had some wines that cost way more than $20 which I think are unbelievably fabulous, but I'be had almost as many expenisve wines which were not nearly as good as the $4 coastal chardonay they have at TJ's. Trust your feeling young jedi.

• If you live somewhere where there's Trader Joes (or some kind of equivalent), buy every wine that costs less than $8 and figure out what you like for yourself. At that price point, if you buy something horrible you can toss it without feeling too guilty. Honestly I've had some wines that cost way more than $20 which I think are unbelievably fabulous, but I'be had almost as many expenisve wines which were not nearly as good as the $4 coastal chardonay they have at TJ's. Trust your feeling young jedi.

I'm going to assume

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Can someone recommend a good cheap sparkling wine?

I used to get this amazing stuff from a local spot
    that was $8.99 per bottle and tasted like $75 champagne,
    but then the connection dried up.

Preferably French, although I'm open to Italian or elsewhere,
    as long as it's not Californian. High yeast content is a plus.

Prosecco!
    PROSECCO DI VALDOBBIADENE "Frizzante"

and my favorite red right now is Chateau Maris Syrah

SoulonIce-you ever had moscato?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I don't think so ... but I will!

its real sweet. and the bottle always seems to be smaller than the rest.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Some fool on here (Aser? PCMR? Who?) is friends with the NYTimes wine critic, Eric Asimov.

Talk to that dude.

that's definetly Aser

I wanted to participate in the summer wine thread because i have been enjoying my case of

All summer

Orpailleur is a quebecois vgnoble that was close to my old country house and that i recently rediscovered

its a great visit if you are ever in quebec

My portuguese friend visiting really opened my eyes to great wines form his region

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I watched and enjoyed that documentary Mondovino a couple of years back:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411674/

the premise is basically that even small-scale European wineries have had to modernize their wine-making process in a way that homogenizes their product, to please the pedestrian tastes of the primary US wine critic.

I enjoy wine but I'm no expert. I'm wondering if any hardcore afficianados out there agree with this doc -- and, if so, can recommend some nice wines that haven't succumbed to that pressure to globalize their product, and still retain a distinct and less crowd-pleasing taste.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Had to pick up 2 bottles of this recently (2005 Napa Valley Pinot Noir).

Decant for at least 30 mins and you're good to go. Should be around $15.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

its real sweet. and the bottle always seems to be smaller than the rest.

agreed. It is a bit too sweet for me sometimes, but I can enjoy it every so often. I do love prosecco and campari.

• i cannot get with wine. when i drink it i will break something. guaranteed.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Some fool on here (Aser? PCMR? Who?) is friends with the NYTimes wine critic, Eric Asimov.

Talk to that dude.

that's definetly Aser

I wanted to participate in the summer wine thread because i have been enjoying my case of

All summer

Orpailleur is a quebecois vgnoble that was close to my old country house and that i recently rediscovered

its a great visit if you are ever in quebec

My portuguese friend visiting really opened my eyes to great wines form his region

Portugese wine is

last wine I bought a case of was this Portugese Douro

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    i cannot get with wine. when i drink it i will break something. guaranteed.

What happens when you drink bourbon? You kill somebody?