School Me: Marshall Hooks on Blue Horizon

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone have this one? Seen it described as funk, blues, rock ...Can I get a Soul Strut review? OR[/b]

Comments

• All I can say is school me too, because I just know Marshall Hooks from being the guitar player with bluesman/black rock 'n' roller Kid Thomas, the missing link between Little Walter and Little Richard:

Because it's on a UK-based blues label, I'm assuming it's in that vein. But it looks like it oughta be one of those Hendrix/Electric Mud "psych blues" deals.

As an aside, DC-area bluesman Bobby Parker sez that he was hooked up with Blue Horizon for a minute - they were trying to turn him into another Hendrix. So when he refused, I guess they worked that same line on Hooks?

I've heard of this LP, but this is my first time seeing it. Living Blues once reviewed a blues comp that had a few Kid Thomas tracks on it, and mentioned Hooks' album in passing, implying that it was kinda mediocre.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Nobody has/had this shit and can give a review?

• Favourite tunes are the instrumental funk track "hookin' it" and the slow rock song "facts of life". The rest is a solid mixture of funk, blues and rock. His voice reminds me of screamin jay hawkins with a little blues touch. I've found this copy for just a few bucks and seen it in the past swapping hands for about 50$. I can definitely recommend this record especially if you like this blues, rock vibe that is typical for most songs of the record.

• Soul On Ice: not to get geeky on you, but is that Blue Horizon album shown in the first post an American pressing?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Soul On Ice: not to get geeky on you, but is that Blue Horizon album shown in the first post an American pressing?

I think it's British - I took it from eBay.
    Here's the label from the same copy:

I'm still not sure what to expect from this LP,
    although the review above is appreciated. My
    curiosity is based on people selling it using
    Black Merda and "psychedelic" as keywords ...
    the few mentions it gets on google, like AMG,
    don't describe the sound but only give it like
    1 1/2 stars out of 5 in ratings, and list it as
    blues ... but, many many pure blues fans would
    give Howlin' Wolf's Cadet Concept album 1 1/2
    stars as well, so I'm curious ... if it is comparable
    to the Wolf album, I would be willing to drop $$$
    on it ... but don't want to end up with tepid blues ...