Applecare Protection Plan and Mac Book Pro

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Is Applecare Protection Plan worth the extra dough? Im not really talking about the warranty but more the:"The plan includes expert telephone assistance, global repair coverage, and onsite repairs for desktop computers."How are folks experience with the 17" Mac Book Pro's?Peace,Dress

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's worth it just for the warranty alone. anything that breaks in it will more than likely cost you more than the warranty itself and you can pay for it up until the first initial year of warranty runs out.

17" will probably be too big for most people unless you need it for a specific purpose.

• Thanks for the answer.

The reason Im thinking about the 17" is because I need it for video editing.

Peace,

Dress

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    get a giant monitor and edit of that. 17" laptops are slightly less protable than desktops.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    get two giant monitors and edit of that.

or do you need to edit 'on the go'?

• Yeah, I would also prefer to have a giant monitor but since I need it for travelling as a part of my job as well I would like to go for the 17" Pro Book.

Peace,

Dress

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    You don't have to buy it right away. Just make sure you buy it before your first year of warr. is up.

Are you a student or work in the educational structure? Or maybe know someone??? You can get a deal on ur apple purchases including apple care.

I just bought me and my gurl a mac book pro, got a deal on it, plus a free nano. Saved about $170 bucks on apple care.

• Thanks for advices everybody... Not a student and dont know too many peeps in NYC but buying it overhere is already a lot of money saved so that should make the investment a good deal for me.

Peace,

Dress

• you could also buy it in Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon and save money on state sales tax, as well. i had my friend purchase a laptop for me, getting me the student discount & no tax. saved me about $300+ dollars.

i was also told that the OSX 10.5 is dropping in october, so i'm just gonna wait for that.

• i regret not getting applecare. i will buy it on my next mac laptop...

• applecare is a MUST
    unfortunate as that is, I have had several things go a bit off, and no questions from them, just lickity split and fixed.

• ONE WORD!

DOIT!

• Sorry for turning this into a Mac board but I have one more question.

Im thinking about buying my new Mac Book Pro in the states (since that can save me some money) but I was wondering what kind of problems that it might give me in the end when it comes to installing euro-license programmes if there's even such a thing.

Also is the DVD drive set to the region you buy the computer in? Is there any way to work around that?

Any other problems that could occur when buying a Mac in states and installing programmes bought in Europe?

Again, sorry for all these questions but it is kinda big investment for me.

Peace,

Dress