having a hard time setting up my 447's

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Do you guys use the weight? Seems like no matter how I set it up (height, weight, use the weight that comes with the cartridge) it still skips....anyone got tips?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I find the M447s take a little while to get broken in.

Also, some peopel i know always use the angling technique which works really well for scratching, although other people warn against that because apparently it wears the grooves out in a particular way.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

yup.
    just throw on a few LP's for the evening with about 3.5oz of weight on them. Tomorrow before you leave for work, set the stylus on a record like you're going to play it w/ 3.5-4oz on it. When you come home from work, they'll be broken in. If that doesn't work, let them ride a run-out groove for two or three hours, you'll be set.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Also, some peopel i know always use the angling technique which works really well for scratching, although other people warn against that because apparently it wears the grooves out in a particular way.

Never angle your carts like that. You will destroy your wax. Just let the carts spin in the runout groove all night and you should be fine.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    never use the counter weight
    never angle your cart

m447s work best IMO, set up like this;

height 3.5
    anti skate 0
    cartridge flush to the headshell end, so it's like an L
    counter weight with the numbers towards the headshell, all the way in

peace.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    never angle your cart

Really Sheep? Bonez set my needles up for me one day after looking at my setup. He said the best way was angled into the curve of the groove so it puts less pressure on the record. This way i found they dont require much wieght usually 1.5. They never skip.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    never angle your cart

Really Sheep? Bonez set my needles up for me one day after looking at my setup. He said the best way was angled into the curve of the groove so it puts less pressure on the record. This way i found they dont require much wieght usually 1.5. They never skip.

Maybe if you are going in DMCs or something, or just scratching, this would be good, and all you are doing is basically emulating a straight arm turntable. angling the carts will not reduce your settings or need for weight for listening, it will just make your shit not as prone to skipping. If you are listening to records and not really scratching, you will essentially do 2 things which is fucked.

1. wear the record grooves out quicker
    2. fuck the grooves.

how? an angled cart means the tip of the stlus is playing them straight across and not diagonally as the tonearm was designed to.... you will practically be wearing in a new set of grooves... i would hate to see my record collection after having an angled cart. i never use other djs carts, always bring my own... maybe have a look under light on recorsd you've played a lot and see if there's any damage? i could be wrong, but this is the way that I have understood it having spent a lot of time around scratch nerds (and being one myself) in the 90s...

peace.

• counter weight with the numbers towards the headshell, all the way in

Do you not get record burn with that much weight....? I've never really noticed much of a difference which way round you have the counterweight, but quite a few cats swear by it

In terms of wearing in, I think if you just drop them on a record over night and actually play records a few times you should be set. Spin the record round a few times to make sure its actually say in a groove and not a peak. I think playing a run out groove overnight is a bit excessive.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I havn't really noticed much wear on my records but fuck you've got me paranoid now. Think im gonna change my needles back to normal

• what about the weight that you're supposed to put in between the headshell and the cartridge? Do you guys use it?