SOULSTRUT LEGAL DEPARTMENT

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Here's the deal:I got a song. It's a cute little song, a little ditty. Big company wants to use it on their website. Yay.Get the contracts. All good.Here's the thing - I am not a member of ASCAP, BMI, SESAC. That finna be a problemo? I don't think so. What's really good? My wife who is the lawyer isn't gonna be home until late night and I need to get these shits in.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dunno how ascap works with websites.

But I do know that they go back a year and a half. But it would be a good thing to register with. Im kinda going through the same stuff with my t.v. work.

Matter fact lemme chime in with my own legal question.

The company that wants me to do the theme music and cues for these shows has been talking about buying the rights completely to the track. Which I guess would mean more money up front, but Im not sure about the ascap stuff. DO I still get ascap on that? Holler?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    If you want to get paid, it pays to have it registered, be it on your own account or through the company who wants to use it. If they want it, then they will want a cut. If someone wants to use the song elsewhere, they can go through ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC to see how they can get in touch with the publisher, or you.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    From what I undersand, ASCAP and companies alike track down your songs commercial play from multiple places i.e radio shows, tv, and what have you. But, ff you are already in contact with the company that's using or licensing your track, then you can deal with them personally. Just make sure you got a contract set up with some lawyer love. Hit me up if you want the contact to a intellectual prop. lawyer that I've used before.

Though, I hear there are some indy tracking companies out there that work a lot better than ASCAP because those companies are for the big dogs whereas the smaller ones are for the underground artists.

I'll do some research and try to get back on the smaller co's

peas.