fav funkadelic album?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
sup, im a latecomer to funkadelic and have been listening to nothing but "america eats its young" all week. LOVING it. I intend on checking the full catalogue. i actually got a question too, whose the first vocalist u hear on the track "we hurt too"? he sings "la la la dah dah dah" "just because we conceal..."reminds me of sly stone, his voice is priceless. thanks. and reccomend on.peaceNadvance.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't have that one in front of me, and I'm not listening to it right now... but the main vocalists in Funkadelic were George Clinton, sometimes Fuzzy Haskins, sometimes Calvin Simon... could be one of the three. I could not just as well.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Everything up to 'Standing on the verge of getting it on' is great..but personal fave has to be:

..and that may just be because i've overplayed Maggot Brain.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Everything up to 'Standing on the verge of getting it on' is great..but personal fave has to be:

..and that may just be because i've overplayed Maggot Brain.

I scream, silent comforts that are not heard
    I panic, for I have not said a word
    Hysteria hold the room in sway
    I run, I back away, to hide
    From what, from fear?
    The truth, the light?
    IS TRUTH THE LIGHT?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    maggot brain blew my mind once or twice. Especially the title track. r.i.p. eddie hazel

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Like the Black Sabbath thread that went on a little while back, it'd be hard for me to pick my favorite Funkadelic album, it all depends on what my mood is in at the time.

Right now, I'd have to go with "Standing on the Verge of Getting it On". Eddie Hazel had a hand in writing all the tracks on the album (under a pseudonym), and his playing, while not as wild as on Maggot Brain, is just as tasty.

My personal favorite on this record is "Good Thoughts Bad Thoughts", which makes a nice counterpart to "Maggot Brain": a quiet rhythm guitar strumming in the background, and Eddie's solo guitar wafting over the top. At the halfway point, a spoken word recitation (presumably by George) comes in:

Travel like a king

Listen to the inner voice

A higher wisdom is at work for you

Conqering the stumbling blocks come easier

When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite

Every ending is a new beginning

Life is an endless unfoldment

Change your mind, and you change your relation to time

You can find the answer

The solution lies within the problem

The answer is in every question

Dig it?

An attitude is all you need to rise and walk away

Inspire yourself

Your life is yours

It fits you like your skin

The oak sleeps in the acorn

The giant sequoia tree sleeps in its tiny seed

The bird waits in the egg

God waits for his unfoldment in man

Fly on, children

Play on

You gravitate to that which you secretly love most

You meet in life the exact reproduction of your own thoughts

There is no chance, coincidence or accident

In a world ruled by law and divine order

You rise as high as your dominant aspiration

You descend to the level of your lowest concept of your self

Free your mind and your ass will follow

The infinite intelligence within you knows the answers

Its nature is to respond to your thoughts

Be careful of the thought-seeds you plant in the garden of your mind

For seeds grow after their kind

Play on, children

Every thought felt as true

Or allowed to be accepted as true by your conscious mind

Take roots in your subconscious

Blossoms sooner or later into an act

And bears its own fruit

Good thoughts bring forth good fruit

Bullshit thoughts rot your meat

Think right, and you can fly

The kingdom of heaven is within

Free your mind, and your ass will follow

Play on, children

Sing on, lady

Yeah

RIP Eddie Hazel

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Funkadelic are so awesome.

I don't even think I can pick a favourite LP of theirs, but these ones i could never live without:

Funkadelic - s/t
    Let's take it to the stage
    Maggot Brain

Just amazing music.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Maggot Brain for the title track alone... but here's my thing

S/T - GREAT album. Nothing that puts it above Maggot or Cosmic though...
    Maggot Brain - this might be the one.
    America Eats - kind of unfocused. Brilliant but not as good a listen start to finish IMO
    Free Your Mind - fun, but honestly this is a long jam session on acid. They cut it overnight. It shows.
    Cosmic Slop - THIS IS MY JAME!@!!!! FUCKING A... Witch's Castle is heartbreaking, and the title track blows my mind every time... I CAN HEAR MY MOTHER CALL, I CAN HEAR MY MOTHER CALL.... so fucking good. This album haunts my trips across the plains

OK I gotta go with Cosmic Slop.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    long jam session on acid. They cut it overnight. It shows.

but they acheive this sound like no one else.

but yeah. hard to pick.

I WAAAAANNA KNOW IF ITS GOOOD TO YOU BABY CUZ IT SHOOOO IS GOOOOD TO MEEEEE

WAAAAAAOOOOWWWWWWW WAH UH WAH UH OOH WAAAAAAOOOOOW......WAHOWW, WAHOWWW. WAAAAAAOOOOWWWWWWW WAH UH WAH UH OOH WAAAAAAOOOOOW......WAHOWW, WAHOWWW. WAAAAAAOOOOWWWWWWW WAH UH WAH UH OOH WAAAAAAOOOOOW......WAHOWW, WAHOWWW. WAAAAAAOOOOWWWWWWW WAH UH WAH UH OOH WAAAAAAOOOOOW......WAHOWW, WAHOWWW.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Maggot Brain for the title track alone... but here's my thing

S/T - GREAT album. Nothing that puts it above Maggot or Cosmic though...
    Maggot Brain - this might be the one.
    America Eats - kind of unfocused. Brilliant but not as good a listen start to finish IMO
    Free Your Mind - fun, but honestly this is a long jam session on acid. They cut it overnight. It shows.
    Cosmic Slop - THIS IS MY JAME!@!!!! FUCKING A... Witch's Castle is heartbreaking, and the title track blows my mind every time... I CAN HEAR MY MOTHER CALL, I CAN HEAR MY MOTHER CALL.... so fucking good. This album haunts my trips across the plains

That's funny, cause I can't choose just one, but that's the one I was going to choose just cause I'm listening to it currently.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Best group of all time, did I forget to mention that?

• I was just listening to Hardcore Jollies in my car the other day. Fuckin' A those dudes were on a level all to themselves.

Shit is deeep.

Tales of Kidd Funkadelic, LEt's Take it To the Stage, even Electric Splanking.. all of it is dope.

People sitting next to me in traffic mus think I'm a total nutcase singing along to that shit.

George could sing like a mother with that freaky ass voice of his.. too bad all he can do these days is yell "party people pumpin their fists like this!" over and over again. Crack'll do that to you I guess.

• Standing on the Verge Of Getting It On.

This rocks harder than Zep or the Chili Peppers could ever imagine. Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts haunts me to this day. The guitar on this probably had Hendrix rolling in his grave.

I'm also kinda fond of their goofier shit...
    Doo Doo Chasers, Atmosphere, Icka Prick, Take Your Dead Ass Home, Let's Take It To The Stage.

Little miss muffet sat on her tuffet snorting some THC
    Along came a spider, slid down beside her
    Said what's in the bag bitch

Oh yeah, that sermon on Eulogy & Light utilizing a backward Open Our eyes is on some sublime shit.

Funkadelic ran the emotional gamut like no other band before or since.

• Best group of all time, did I forget to mention that?

Pretty damn close!!!! Im saying, for a group to keep you guessing as much, and to "go off" as much, the are always really, in the pocket. For me, this is one of my "Favorite Music To Pass Out To" entries for sure, or act like a retard in the bathroom mirror, or in the car, or at the bar, or IN MY MIND to, and yes i like them on a plane.

Hazel was the fucking dude, no question though.

PEACE!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I like it when Ween imitates Funkadelic.

carry on

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Tough one. Like Paycheck said the earliest ones are a bit unfocused, with standout tracks like "Super Stupid" and "Maggot Brain". I'm talking more like 72-76.

I'd have to go with "Hardcore Jollies", simply because it was the first one I bought at a local fleamarket when I was 15. It's a good link between the psych-rock period and the later synth-funky style. Blew my mind. I was totally digging the cheeky freaky lyrics, Worrell's spacey keys, Ray Davis' subwoofer voice, the whole trip. And the live version of "Cosmic Slop" is baaaaad. Maybe not the overall best LP, but I got memories.

"Space people, universal love"

Put the "Cosmic Slop LP in second place.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Special mention: DOPE PEDRO BELL ARTWORK. I could look at those covers for days.

• Funkadelic - S/T...."I'll Bet You" is the shit...

• Can anyone tell which one is George in the band pic inside the fold of Maggot Brain? I can pick out Eddie Hazel, but that is it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

With "Standing On The Verge Of Getting it on" a close second for me.

Fave P-Funk solo jams anyone?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    im a big Hardcore Jollies fan ... Maggot Brain is right thur too.

really how wrong can you go though????

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Funkadelic - S/T...."I'll Bet You" is the shit...

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    sup, im a latecomer to funkadelic and have been listening to nothing but "america eats its young" all week. LOVING it. I intend on checking the full catalogue. i actually got a question too, whose the first vocalist u hear on the track "we hurt too"? he sings "la la la dah dah dah" "just because we conceal..."reminds me of sly stone, his voice is priceless. thanks. and reccomend on.
    peaceNadvance.

Gary Shider the rhythm guitarist is the vocalist and yes he does sound like Sly.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Can anyone tell which one is George in the band pic inside the fold of Maggot Brain? I can pick out Eddie Hazel, but that is it.

He's not in that photo. The musicians (Eddie Hazel, Tawl Ross, Billy Bass, Tiki Fullwood, and Bernie Worrell) are in the pic. The vocalists (including George) were not 'official' members of Funkadelic at that time due to contractual reasons.

Can anyone tell which one is George in the band pic inside the fold of Maggot Brain? I can pick out Eddie Hazel, but that is it.

None of them are George are any of the vocalists (the Parliaments) because they were signed to Invictus at the time. Funkadelic originally was the 5 piece band (Eddie hazel: lead guitar, Tal Ross: rhythm guitar, Mickey Atckins: organ, Billy Bass: bass, Tiki Fullwood: drums). The Parliaments (George, Fuzzy Haskins, Ray Davis, Calvin Simon, Grady Thomas) as a vocal group, save Clinton the producer, appeared as guests for the first three Westbound albums while they were still under contract.

Maggot Brain photo: Tal Ross (guy w/ sun glasses and tassled jacket), Bernie Worrell (scrawny guy on the left), Tiki Fullwood (shorter guy in "The Harder They Come" style hat, Bill Nelson (the other taller guy).

oops, he posted while I was writing.

My favorite album that hasn't been mentioned is a Live CD I got in 96 that must not be in print anymore. It was recorded in 1971 in Michigan and it's nuts:

14 min version of Maggot Brain w/ the entire band...

Stooges-style rave up instrumental of Alice in My Fantasies...

15 min version of "All your Goodies are Gone" that sounds like a mutant psychedelic gospel sermon from 9 schizophrenics....

Anybody else have this. Absolutely sick.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

"I Want to Know if It's Good to Ya Baby" musta been a huge hit in New Orleans throughout the 70's...because without anyone I knew owning the album I found myself years later realizing that I knew the song like the back of my hand. Chalk it up with War's "Slippin into Darkness" as one of those definitive period pieces.

• Can anyone tell which one is George in the band pic inside the fold of Maggot Brain? I can pick out Eddie Hazel, but that is it.

None of them are George are any of the vocalists (the Parliaments) because they were signed to Invictus at the time. Funkadelic originally was the 5 piece band (Eddie hazel: lead guitar, Tal Ross: rhythm guitar, Mickey Atckins: organ, Billy Bass: bass, Tiki Fullwood: drums). The Parliaments (George, Fuzzy Haskins, Ray Davis, Calvin Simon, Grady Thomas) as a vocal group, save Clinton the producer, appeared as guests for the first three Westbound albums while they were still under contract.

Maggot Brain photo: Tal Ross (guy w/ sun glasses and tassled jacket), Bernie Worrell (scrawny guy on the left), Tiki Fullwood (shorter guy in "The Harder They Come" style hat, Bill Nelson (the other taller guy).

Much obliged for the knowledge.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    oops, he posted while I was writing.

My favorite album that hasn't been mentioned is a Live CD I got in 96 that must not be in print anymore. It was recorded in 1971 in Michigan and it's nuts:

14 min version of Maggot Brain w/ the entire band...

Stooges-style rave up instrumental of Alice in My Fantasies...

15 min version of "All your Goodies are Gone" that sounds like a mutant psychedelic gospel sermon from 9 schizophrenics....

Anybody else have this. Absolutely sick.

mp3 plaese?

as far as favorites, i can't find my s/t titled anywhere ( ), so i can't make a definite call on my favorite right now, but tenatively i'll go with maggot brain, like a few people mentioned, the title track is probably the most greatest song ever recorded.

do you guys file your parliament and funkadelic seperately and if not do you put em under p or f? i've got them together under f.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

So who's the bald-headed guy about to throw a brick?

So who's the bald-headed guy about to throw a brick?

Tal Ross (guy w/ sun glasses and tassled jacket)