New York Soulstrut family.....

Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I will be coming out there for a trip with my gf and was hoping to do something fun...politic/meet some of the NY soulstrut folks...possibly get a dj gig or two (any help on that would be appreciated...feel free to pm me)...we will be coming on October 18th-22nd...and I plan on doing a little record shopping, hanging out with friends, and searching out the best vegan/vegetarian spots in the city (we've already been a few times, and done quite a bit of research...but, any suggestions are definitely welcomed!)...and just enjoying our time...we haven't gotten a place to stay yet...so, if anyone has the hook up on a place to rent for those days (my gf likes Greenwich Village which is where we rented a studio from some girl last time we were there)...but, if you have some sort of hotel hook up, etc...holler! and definitely if any of you are doing shows, etc...let me know...I'd love to come out and meet some of the people here...or maybe we can figure out a day to meet up at a bar...etc...thanks for any suggestions and help...http://www.myspace.com/deejayom

Comments

• boston is a much betta city nathan

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I'm in the same situation, but I got myself a bed + breakfast.... I'm there 11th till 18th of October!!! damn, we'll miss each other... I would like to meet a gang of NYC strutters to hang out!

peace.

• For all things Jamaican be sure to go to deadly dragon sound (Jeremy is that dude):

http://www.deadlydragonsound.com/

For some delicious vegetarian and vegan friendly food be sure to check out Zen Palate:

http://www.zenpalate.com/

• I'm in the same situation, but I got myself a bed + breakfast.... I'm there 11th till 18th of October!!! damn, we'll miss each other... I would like to meet a gang of NYC strutters to hang out!

peace.

damn that sucks! well, holler if you'll be in the bay at some point.....

I know about zen palate, curly's, angelica's kitchen, baby cakes, and some others...but, we didn't get a chance to go to zen palate...lots of people recommended it...and i know it's on my girl's sights...haha...

• Make sure to get there for lunch, cheaper.

unless you are a like that.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I'm in the same situation, but I got myself a bed + breakfast.... I'm there 11th till 18th of October!!! damn, we'll miss each other... I would like to meet a gang of NYC strutters to hang out!

peace.

I know about zen palate, curly's, angelica's kitchen, baby cakes, and some others...but, we didn't get a chance to go to zen palate...lots of people recommended it...and i know it's on my girl's sights...haha...

I'm in the Bay/LA from Oct 18th til Nov 7th!

Drop me your contacts!

peace.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Zen Palate is not what it used to be. They got bought out about a year ago and the quality, of the food definitely suffered. The food is still alright, but not what it used to be. If you dig on this kind of fare i say check out Gobo on sixth avenue and 8th street. It is owned by the children of the people who opened Zen Palate, but the selection is more racy: smoked beijing style seitan over chinese broccoli with acorn squash is that fire.

My newest favorite is Lan Cafe on sixth street just West of first ave. It's vegetarian Vietnamese--a brilliant combination. I can't express how good the food is here. If you come to New York and do not eat at this restaurant I will feel bad for you.

Himalayan Cafe, on the North side of Houston between first and A, has pretty good Tibetan food. This place and Lan Cafe are byob too, which is great.

For Falafel don't miss Azuri's on 51st just East of tenth. Amazing Falafel done so right it will ruin your perception of what falafel is.

• It is owned by the children of the people who opened Zen Palate, but the selection is more racy: smoked beijing style seitan over chinese broccoli with acorn squash is that fire.

well, if that isn't going to get me to order that dish...I don't know what will...sounds brilliant!

My newest favorite is Lan Cafe on sixth street just West of first ave. It's vegetarian Vietnamese--a brilliant combination. I can't express how good the food is here. If you come to New York and do not eat at this restaurant I will feel bad for you.

I'm down! I told my gf about this place...she sounded interested....there is a place like this in SF (if you ever come through...called Golden Era)

For Falafel don't miss Azuri's on 51st just East of tenth. Amazing Falafel done so right it will ruin your perception of what falafel is.

I love me some falafel...and will be in that area...with my homeboy who we are staying with the first day we get there...

if you are ever coming out to SF/Bay Area...holler, and I can hook you up with solid suggestions for food...

can anyone help as far as possible dj gigs...or contacts, places I should contact...?

• The Otis Funkmeyer Band is playing a show downtown at the John St. Grill on October 20th at 11:30. We're opening up for Doodlebug's new band, The Cosmic Funk All Stars.

Guaranteed

PM for guestlist.

• The Otis Funkmeyer Band is playing a show downtown at the John St. Grill on October 20th at 11:30. We're opening up for Doodlebug's new band, The Cosmic Funk All Stars.

Guaranteed

PM for guestlist.

I'll definitely be running this by my girl...is there a place to hear mp3's too?

Guaranteed

PM for guestlist.

I'll definitely be running this by my girl...is there a place to hear mp3's too?

Check us out here