Seattle Architecture (Nike related)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
A desgner at Nike spun off his own company. When the new Seattle Library needed chairs they wanted something that would be vandal proof and pee proof. Using materials developed at Nike he came up with these: I don't care for the appearance of the exterior. I do think the architects did an amazing job rethinking library. The spiral stacks are way cool, though the spiral dead ends. The scary red floor is scary. The vistas give you that falling feeling in your stomach.How do Seattle cats like it? Jake you work across the street no?I was really excited when I heard Seattle was getting a Frank Gehry Museum. Sadly I think the Experience Museum is not what it should be visually or functionaly. I went to Bilbao last fall and saw his Guggenhiem Museum there and it is really great. This was our first view: Besides the Space Needle and the Monorail whats good in Seattle architecture? And how do you like the Library?

Comments

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    That library looks insane. I gotta get back up there soon and check it out.

I went to Seattle University in First Hill (Broadway and Madison) and everyone there was geeked when they built this

The Chapel of St. Ignatius.

It won a lot of architecture awards. I wasn't totally blown away with it, but I though it was interesting enough.

Here's a slide show.

http://www.seattleu.edu/chapel/tour/slide/

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    when are they 3d-abstract-shiny-metal plating the space needle?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I went to Seattle University in First Hill (Broadway and Madison) and everyone there was geeked when they built this

It won a lot of architecture awards. I wasn't totally blown away with it, but I though it was interesting enough.

Here's a slide show.

I've visited St Ignatius twice. Sit down in the chapel and watch the colors change. Go on a sunny day if you get one. Check out how nice the doors are. Again, it's better inside than out.

Keeping it church oriented, I still think St. Mark's Cathedra is where it's at, if only for how insanely huge it is.

I was on acid in there one time (no service going on at the time) but somebody was playing this

Me and and friend just sat there in the pews for 20 minutes and soaked it all in. Mind-blowing.

Here's a slide show.

I've visited St Ignatius twice. Sit down in the chapel and watch the colors change. Go on a sunny day if you get one. Check out how nice the doors are. Again, it's better inside than out.

Yeah you're right about sitting down inside for a while and letting the sun and and the windows do their thing. My busy college student self should have set aside an afternoon!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Keeping it church oriented, I still think St. Mark's Cathedra is where it's at, if only for how insanely huge it is.

I was on acid in there one time (no service going on at the time) but somebody was playing this

Me and and friend just sat there in the pews for 20 minutes and soaked it all in. Mind-blowing.

Thats at the end of the commercial part of Broadway? If yes I used to walk by it all the time when I lived there. Or do I have it confused with the Scottish Rites Temple?

Not sure about the Scottish Rites Temple, but yeah, St. Mark's is on Broadway several blocks north of where the commercialness ends.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'll try to post some pics of the Seattle library later on when I get home. My girlfriend took a bunch of rad pics this weekend at the library.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Check out the James Turrell "sky space" that they installed at the UW's Henry Art Gallery last year - intense light art. The UW campus in general is quite pretty. Most of the modern architecture is unremarkable, but the original buildings and public spaces are nice.

A James Turrell skyspace is a freestanding enclosed chamber large enough for about 15 people and designed and constructed with utmost precision to heighten our sense of sight and perception.

The Henry Art Gallery Skyspace is the very first to combine two aspects of James Turrell's work: skyspace and exterior architectural illumination, making it accessible to viewers from both the inside and the outside. From the outside, the elliptical chamber becomes a luminous light work as the eighteen foot-high glass panels covering its exterior are softly illuminated from within with slowly changing color.

Inside the skyspace, visitors sit on a bench and view the sky and atmospheric changes through an opening in the roof. On rainy days a moveable dome covers the opening and a secondary light source creates a seemingly infinite visual space beyond the roof ???aperture.???

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Also check out the Asian Art Museum in Volunteer Park. The outside facade is beautiful, you have some great views of downtown, and the art collection has a few knockouts - including the world's premier collection of Chinese snuff bottles (?) and an incredible wooden carving of a Buddhist monk. If you're up there, the greenhouse/conservatory is also worth visiting.

If you walk around the neighborhoods south of the park, there are some incredible 19th century mansions from the lumber boom days. Since most of downtown burned down a couple of times, this is some of the oldest architecture left in town.

EDIT: apparently the museum is closed for six months for re-roofing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    St. Mark's is on Broadway several blocks north of where the commercialness ends.
    every sunday night at 9pm they have some gregorian monks chant for a couple of hours. the place is free/open to the public, and a great place to bring a fly female, or male if that's what you do.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    that pic of I-5 is bringing back some memories.

Horrible traffic or homeless dudes?