When I Die

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I hope to be...A better man than you thought I'd beIt??s been hard to make you see What kind of man I??m trying to be All I ask for you to try to understand what it means to me. It??s not hard to understand why You get discouraged all the time I keep trying not to worry But I can??t help feeling lost in you But I love you, want you and I need you. Time goes by and you??ll find that we??ll achieve a love sublime When I die I hope I??ll be the kind of man you thought I??d be (Repeat Chorus). Cause I love you and I want you Cause I gotta, gotta have you Cause, cause I need you When I die, I hope I??ll be the kind of man that you thought I??d be."A better man than you thought I'd beeeeeeeee..."[/b]That part always gets me.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I always liked the drum break on that record.

Credit is due.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I just filled out and filed a power of attorny thingy so's that the plug can get pulled if I wind up a veg. In the wishes section I put "Permission to do some full-on Weekend at Bernies shit. Throw shades on me, take me to some parties, and waterskiing. Then burn my ass up." The wittnesses who signed it were kind of speachless.

• yeah, when i realized what the line was before "a better man...."

sniff.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    "Dead" man wakes up under autopsy knife

Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:36pm EDT

CARACAS (Reuters) - A Venezuelan man who had been declared dead woke up in the morgue in excruciating pain after medical examiners began their autopsy.

Carlos Camejo, 33, was declared dead after a highway accident and taken to the morgue, where examiners began an autopsy only to realize something was amiss when he started bleeding. They quickly sought to stitch up the incision on his face.

"I woke up because the pain was unbearable," Camejo said, according to a report on Friday in leading local newspaper El Universal.

His grieving wife turned up at the morgue to identify her husband's body only to find him moved into a corridor -- and alive.

Reuters could not immediately reach hospital officials to confirm the events. But Camejo showed the newspaper his facial scar and a document ordering the autopsy.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

"A better man than you thought I'd beeeeeeeee..."[/b]

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    great song.
    and pretty amazing when you put it in context of it's use by Dilla as the final song on Donuts.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    great song.
    and pretty amazing when you put it in context of it's use by Dilla as the final song on Donuts.

yeesh. i feel like an idiot when i find out one of my favorite loops EVER is from a record ive had for years....maybe i should start listening to more of my records. this song is great! and all i thought this record was good for was the breaks...

• "Dead" man wakes up under autopsy knife

CARACAS (Reuters) - A Venezuelan man who had been declared dead woke up in the morgue in excruciating pain after medical examiners began their autopsy.

Carlos Camejo, 33, was declared dead after a highway accident and taken to the morgue, where examiners began an autopsy only to realize something was amiss when he started bleeding. They quickly sought to stitch up the incision on his face.

"I woke up because the pain was unbearable," Camejo said, according to a report on Friday in leading local newspaper El Universal.

His grieving wife turned up at the morgue to identify her husband's body only to find him moved into a corridor -- and alive.

Reuters could not immediately reach hospital officials to confirm the events. But Camejo showed the newspaper his facial scar and a document ordering the autopsy.

cool!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    "Dead" man wakes up under autopsy knife

cool!

whoa, thats pretty amazing.

lots of threadjacks today...

• "A better man than you thought I'd beeeeeeeee..."[/b]

Man, this is a frickin' soulful ass song to me. Seriously, it really moves me every time I hear it these days.

When Dilla used it on Donuts, I had to buy a better copy of this. I knew the song, but his flip put it into another context for me. It definitely struck a chord and gave the record that I knew for the monster drum break a whole new value. And now it's a collection staple.

I know ... , but seriously, this song affects me in a serious way.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i love this song

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    does anybody ever get fooled and become all excited when they come across that Loggins and Messina album?

Damn I hate that rekkid!

• -

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I love this song.

Sometimes I'll listen to it 10x in a row while walking around.

Hey,

Funky song!!!! I looped it for an outro for the 1993 Colorful Essence demo I produced. I should post that on my site. Dilla freaked it, bar none!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• does anybody ever get fooled and become all excited when they come across that Loggins and Messina album?

Damn I hate that rekkid!

I was out digging with Fatback a few weeks ago and was asking him if he had a copy and without really looking passed it to him. He was all and I was all like, "thats not the LP that I thought it would be_eeeee_ee."

• this is good shit

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I was out digging with Fatback a few weeks ago and was asking him if he had a copy and without really looking passed it to him. He was all and I was all like, "thats not the LP that I thought it would be_eeeee_ee."

Hahahaha!
    thats funny.

• great song.

dammit... now i gotta fight back the watery eyes and schitt. i HATE when that happens

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    cosine for sure, this is a good LP ... also check for their lesser known second (& final) album "Tapped Out".. that one has some really nice shit on it . including a dope gang starr sample..

I never see it for some reason.. must have sold really low numbers??

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    great song.

dammit... now i gotta fight back the watery eyes and schitt. i HATE when that happens

Played the dilla track at the end of my set yesterday

Thanks for the sweet soulful tune Day

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I hope to be...
    A better man than you thought I'd be
    It??s been hard to make you see
    What kind of man I??m trying to be
    All I ask for you to try to understand
    what it means to me.

It??s not hard to understand why
    You get discouraged all the time
    I keep trying not to worry
    But I can??t help feeling lost in you
    But I love you, want you and I need you.

Time goes by and you??ll find that we??ll
    achieve a love sublime
    When I die I hope I??ll be the kind of man
    you thought I??d be
    (Repeat Chorus).

Cause I love you and I want you
    Cause I gotta, gotta have you
    Cause, cause I need you
    When I die, I hope I??ll be the kind of man
    that you thought I??d be.

That part always gets me.

I love this song - just the right blend of optimism and regret. For some reason, it always puts me in mind of my late dad. Perhaps this is why I always felt Dilla's flip of it on Donuts managed to inadvertantly turn it from a kinda serious-minded, soulful little rock ballad into something properly, existentially deep.

• I was out digging with Fatback a few weeks ago and was asking him if he had a copy and without really looking passed it to him. He was all and I was all like, "thats not the LP that I thought it would be_eeeee_ee."

Hahahaha!
    thats funny.

hahahahaha

I keep seeing that record everywhere right now---BOOOOO

Pulled my copy this morning after class and am listening now, I always just listen to "When I Die." I forget about how much I like the rest of the album.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I must have listened to this shit at least 20 times since yesterday.