Cold Blood - First Taste of Sin

bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
holy shit, this is such a great record. i have the other 3 of their first 4, and this was the last of the first four i had to pick up. i definitely think it's the best. maybe it's the donny hathaway production that hits me in the right place.are "lydia" and "lydia pense and cold blood" worth picking up? i've read some not-so-great reviews of them, but their first 4 are so solid i have a hard time believing that these could be terrible.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

are "lydia" and "lydia pense and cold blood" worth picking up? i've read some not-so-great reviews of them, but their first 4 are so solid i have a hard time believing that these could be terrible.

Yes.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

are "lydia" and "lydia pense and cold blood" worth picking up? i've read some not-so-great reviews of them, but their first 4 are so solid i have a hard time believing that these could be terrible.

Yes.
    Co-sign. As a matter of fact, I got those 2 records in Portland (one was from you Dan).

Yes.
    Co-sign. As a matter of fact, I got those 2 records in Portland (one was from you Dan).

Lydia Pense and Cold Blood still play in Portland twice a year or so. Are they worth catching today? I'm guessing they play SF every week?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

holy shit, this is such a great record.
    and the cover is tight. ...and the back cover.

i do like some Cold Blood

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'll chime in as the lone hatter

I dig tracks off their first two but everything else has annoyed the crap out of me

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    lone hatter

I dig tracks off their first two but everything else has annoyed the crap out of me

I like them all. The first two are in the SF hippy rock soul vein. Since I'm a rock hater I think they got better as they left the hippy part behind. The first one I think is their weakest overall as it is the least original, more of a copy band kinda thing.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

You're not alone. I don't think they're all that. No hate, just whatever. No shortage of fans though - I've given away every album of theirs I've found. I feel like I may have liked them better live...but then again, maybe not.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

man why you hattin'?

• Just got this out again yesterday. the intro bassline to "i just wanna make love to you" is a killer. definitely some other nice parts on there too.

Just got this out again yesterday. the intro bassline to "i just wanna make love to you" is a killer. definitely some other nice parts on there too.

thats a different record

man why you hattin'?

We've probably already talked about this but vocals like hers drive me up the wall... thats my nice way putting it. The music wasn't doing a whole lot for me either.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

man why you hattin'?

We've probably already talked about this but vocals like hers drive me up the wall... thats my nice way putting it. The music wasn't doing a whole lot for me either.

i figured it was the production since it tends to be a little slicker (esp the reprise stuff), and it can be compared to some tower of power stuff. but actually i just wanted to post a picture of a hat and ask why you were hattin rhetorically.

but actually i just wanted to post a picture of a hat and ask why you were hattin rhetorically.

figured as much

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I had talked with guitarist Michael Sasaki briefly in e-mail. After seeing him on the back cover of Lydia[/b], I thought you know, I need to find out a little more.

• Just got out the first cold blood lp[/b] yesterday. the intro bassline to "i just wanna make love to you" is a killer. definitely some other nice parts on there too.

thats a different record

^^^thats what i meant.

• Good but, IMO I prefer Ten Wheel Drive if I wanna hear some shit like that-

Good but, IMO I prefer Ten Wheel Drive if I wanna hear some shit like that-

Please recommend lps and cuts. I haven't liked what I've heard, but I want to.

Dan

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    'Funky On My Back' from Sisyphus lp is my fave Cold Blood track...
    First Taste is a better record.

On the Ten Wheel Drive tip
    Tightrope is THE track IMO - Great vocals and dope handclap/bass/hmmmmm break.

• Good but, IMO I prefer Ten Wheel Drive if I wanna hear some shit like that-

Please recommend lps and cuts. I haven't liked what I've heard, but I want to.

Dan

Black Moon sampled this for a track on their last album it has its moments for sure.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    All of Cold Blood's LPs are worth picking up if you find them for cheap. Agreed, tha they got better with time.

here's some reviews.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=C&page=9
    http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=C&page=10

• I like "let me down easy" off the first one pitched up a bit. My copy is really quiet on the first song on that side.

• Their cover of "Kissing My Love" on Thriller has always been a solid go-to track for me...