Hey Joe vs. Down By the River

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I was listening to the Lee Moses version of "Hey Joe" and it dawned on me how similar it felt, in mood and style, to "Down By the River." Both songs are about men shooting their lovers (or about to) and they just have that heavy, heavy feel to 'em. Discuss.Hey JoeDown By the River (Buddy Miles' version)

Comments

• ive thought the same before.

i gotta go with down by the river...buddy absoluetely rules that shit.
    purple snow is pretty ridiculous too

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    both great, and most covers are essential.

for a seriously quality, newer "hey joe" cover, check out the make-up's version from '99. one of my favorites.

that down by the river 45 by purple snow is pretty fucking ...probably my favorite version ever.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Either of you got a soundfile for the Purple Snow version?

Ken Boothe's reggae version is pretty kick ass too.

i know i have it on a cassette somewhere...

• i dont know how to do sound files...

theres also an instrumental of the purple snow version on a 45 called round trip ticket (also toward the end of aeiou2).its great, but the dude on vocals is pretty essential

theres also an instrumental of the purple snow version on a 45 called round trip ticket

easily one of my favorite tracks EVER. EVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

beautiful beautiful recording. dont get me wrong, the vocal version is great, but the instrumental is perfection.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    I was listening to the Lee Moses version of "Hey Joe" and it dawned on me how similar it felt, in mood and style, to "Down By the River." Both songs are about men shooting their lovers (or about to) and they just have that heavy, heavy feel to 'em.

Discuss.

Hey Joe

Down By the River (Buddy Miles' version)

On Just Blaze's blog a few months ago, he did a similar compare-and-contrast between a couple of "Hey Joe" versions and Roberta Flack's "Gone Away" (the basis for "What You Know"). It's here, if you want to take a look at it. Some interesting comments, not least from Just himself.

• The Purple Snow 45 is credited to "I.T. Harris"...is this the Neil Young tune?

• The Purple Snow 45 is credited to "I.T. Harris"...is this the Neil Young tune?

yes, but its no biggie, Neil missed out on about 17 dollars worth of royalties with the sales of the Purple Snow I figure. Great 45 no matter what credit was stolen...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Purple Snow 45 is credited to "I.T. Harris"...is this the Neil Young tune?

yes, but its no biggie, Neil missed out on about 17 dollars worth of royalties with the sales of the Purple Snow I figure. Great 45 no matter what credit was stolen...

Can we get a sip of juice on this mofo? I am intrigued?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I can probably upload both the Purple Snow and Round Trip Ticket versions tomorrow.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I guess I see some similarity in Hendrix arranged versions of Hey Joe but that's about it.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I was listening to the Lee Moses version of "Hey Joe" and it dawned on me how similar it felt, in mood and style, to "Down By the River." Both songs are about men shooting their lovers (or about to) and they just have that heavy, heavy feel to 'em.

I thought DBTR was about a horse or Horse.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Besides the amazing Ken Boothe version of DBtR, there
    is another great cover by the Undisputed Truth on their
    "Cosmic Truth" album.

Besides the amazing Ken Boothe version of DBtR, there
    is another great cover by the Undisputed Truth on their
    "Cosmic Truth" album.

i'll have to pull that album out! fuck, everybodys schooling me on my own collection today. didnt even know there was a cover of this track on that album.

• theres a nice version of Hey Joe on

The Wig - Live at the Jade Rooms LP

wasn't there always a bit of a fuss over who owned the rights to Hey Joe as a song?

it was supposedly a standard folk/blues tune, but someone else also claimed to have written it.

peace

b

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Plaese to post the versions that you guys were talking about on the first page??? Trying to gather as many versions of this as I can...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    wasn't there always a bit of a fuss over who owned the rights to Hey Joe as a song?

http://www.heyjoe.org/

• At last count I had 16 weird cover versions of "Down by the River"...gotta add these now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    there is another great cover by the Undisputed Truth on their "Cosmic Truth" album.

• Does anyone know who does the version of "Hey Joe" that's on AEIOU II?