Chet Helms RIP (Sorta RR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Chet Helms with the Jimi Hendrix Experience[/b]June 28, 2005Chet Helms Dies at 62; Father of San Francisco's Summer of LoveBy THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SAN FRANCISCO, June 27 (AP) - Chet Helms, known as the father of the Summer of Love and the rock promoter who brought Janis Joplin to San Francisco, died here on Saturday. He was 62. The cause was complications of a stroke, his family said. Mr. Helms was the founder and manager of Big Brother and the Holding Company, with Joplin as its legendary lead singer. He helped stage free concerts and Human Be-ins at Golden Gate Park, which became the backdrop for the Summer of Love in San Francisco in 1967.He was the first producer of psychedelic light-show concerts at the Fillmore and the Avalon Ballroom and was instrumental in helping to develop bands delivering the San Francisco sound."Without Chet, there would be no Grateful Dead, no Big Brother and the Holding Company, no Jefferson Airplane, no Country Joe and the Fish, no Quicksilver Messenger Service," said Barry Melton, the lead guitarist for Country Joe and the Fish. "He wasn't just a promoter; he was a supporter of music and art. He supported people emotionally, psychologically and psychically. He made the scene what it was."Chester Leo Helms was born in Santa Maria, Calif., in 1942, and spent most of his youth in Missouri and Texas, where he helped stage benefits for civil and human rights groups.He moved from Austin to San Francisco in 1962, returning once to persuade Joplin, an old college friend, to hitchhike back with him.He united Joplin with Big Brother for jam sessions in a Haight-Ashbury basement. They made their debut in June 1966 at the Avalon, officially starting Joplin's career as a rock diva. Mr. Helms and Bill Graham worked together to produce three shows at the Fillmore Auditorium that year before Mr. Graham went off on his own to build the Fillmore into one of the most important rock venues in history. Mr. Helms continued producing concerts under his Family Dog company at the Avalon, an old dance academy at Sutter Street and Van Ness Avenue.Mr. Helms eventually dropped out of the concert business for a time in 1970, but he proudly sported a grizzled beard and long hair topped by a hat throughout much of his adult life."Chet was a hippie," said Mickey Hart, drummer for the Grateful Dead. "We were all hippies. He hated to charge for the music."Mr. Helms ran the Atelier Dore art gallery in San Francisco from 1980 until his retirement last year.Mr. Helms is survived by wife, Judy Davis; his stepdaughter, Sarah Davis of San Francisco; and his brothers John Helms of San Francisco and Jim Helms of Hawaii.

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    much respect due to that family dog....

i got to meet him once about... jesus this was a long time ago... 10yrs ago when i was still in the music industry. very nice dude yet kinda weird and quirky. friendly handshake and attentive though... i liked him.

i read this in the newspaper a day or two ago... real shame... he never got his...

sidenote: however it is funny that bill graham gets props for creating a scene at the fillmore even though it was run by blacks who gave him the chance to throw a rock show there. oh well... he did respect the blues music and its musicians... supposedly.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    SORTA RR? I'd say it is, without question.

• SORTA RR? I'd say it is, without question.

Yeah...I just don't want to upset the anal retentives....

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Been seeing signs up all over town giving this man love on his way up to heaven.He will be missed by many.He was a righteous dude!Here's to you Chet.Say what's up to Jimi.