• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm feeling Cthulhu. Lovecraft rocks!

• edubedub 715 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

this record is

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    my next toy purchase...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Oh my fucking god. My bro is so into this shit. The other day he was wearing a shirt that said, "What part of 'ajsgajsgg wegoigsd ggbbbr^*^(^T jkbOI ^(*7*&T8' don't you understand?". Fucking nerds are insane.

• someone please explain the Cthulhu lore, i'm disconnected. he looks more cute than evil and less than appetizing in packaged 3-d form.

• someone please explain the Cthulhu lore, i'm disconnected. he looks more cute than evil and less than appetizing in packaged 3-d form.

Cthulhu is a fictional being created by horror author H. P. Lovecraft, and is one of Lovecraft's Great Old Ones.[1] It is often cited for the extreme descriptions given of its appearance, size, and the abject terror that it invokes. Because of this reputation, Cthulhu is often referred to in science fiction and fantasy circles as a tongue-in-cheek shorthand for extreme horror or evil.

Cthulhu has also been spelled Cathulu, Kutulu, Q'thulu, Ktulu, Cthulu, Kthulhut, Kulhu, Thu Thu, Tulu,[2] and in many other ways. It is often preceded by the epithet Great, Dead, or Dread.

Lovecraft transcribed the pronunciation of Cthulhu as "Khl??l'hloo" or "Kathooloo"[3] S. T. Joshi points out, however, that Lovecraft gave several differing pronunciations on different occasions.[4] According to Lovecraft, this is merely the closest that the human vocal apparatus can come to reproducing the syllables of an alien language.[5]

Cthulhu first appeared in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu" (1928)???though it makes minor appearances in a few other Lovecraft works.[6] August Derleth used the creature's name to identify the system of lore employed by Lovecraft and his literary successors, the Cthulhu Mythos.

from wiki

• ok he looks evil here. i thought it was some pokemon shit

• yeah i had to look it up after o-dub posted it. hes one bad motherfucka

• Poor Cthulu

Evil but tasty!

Sacrilicious!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    someone please explain the Cthulhu lore, i'm disconnected. he looks more cute than evil and less than appetizing in packaged 3-d form.

It's interesting how Cthulhu lore has ended up having such a profound (albeit limited) impact on people...like, why this fictional pantheon and not countless others?...but if you've ever read some of the original Lovecraft stories that tap into the lore you realize that lovecraft doesn't really flesh out much at all...which I suppose is what helps makes it so creepy.

The idea of Cthulhu is like a terror/evil that transcends even Judeo-Christian concepts of evil or the Devil. Satan, at least in how he's been represented in culture, tends to be seen as diabolic yet charismatic and most importantly: human. Cthulhu is on some whole other shit - in Lovecraft's hands, he's depicted as something so fundamentally beyond our scope of understanding that he doesn't turn people evil - he turns them insane, driving people to madness and there's something about that - losing mind and soul rather than just soul - that has made Cthulhu and his pantheon the source of such fascination.

• HP Lovecraft is a far better writer than L Ron Hubbard

and the inspiration of some of the better Cliff Burton-era metallica tunes

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    HP Lovecraft is a far better writer than L Ron Hubbard

the first title that jumped to mind was 'creeping death' - but then I realized that one was inspired by the book of Exodus in the old testament...

Lovecraft, Bible, it's all the same...

It's interesting how Cthulhu lore has ended up having such a profound (albeit limited) impact on people...like, why this fictional pantheon and not countless others?...but if you've ever read some of the original Lovecraft stories that tap into the lore you realize that lovecraft doesn't really flesh out much at all...which I suppose is what helps makes it so creepy.

The idea of Cthulhu is like a terror/evil that transcends even Judeo-Christian concepts of evil or the Devil. Satan, at least in how he's been represented in culture, tends to be seen as diabolic yet charismatic and most importantly: human. Cthulhu is on some whole other shit - in Lovecraft's hands, he's depicted as something so fundamentally beyond our scope of understanding that he doesn't turn people evil - he turns them insane, driving people to madness and there's something about that - losing mind and soul rather than just soul - that has made Cthulhu and his pantheon the source of such fascination.

this sounds very intriguing. can you recommend a book to start with?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I always liked "Dreams in the Witch House" & "At the Mountains of Madness" - most of Lovecrafts stuff is in short story collections.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I know one of the dudes who started Chaosium They bought some rights to HPs stuff and made Call of Cuthulu
    Dude is a Cuthulu expert. If anyone has any serious questions about Cuthulu PM me. This guy can drop knowledge for days/loves speaking on it.

Any RPGers play Cuthulu, Mythos, or Arkham Horror before???

someone please explain the Cthulhu lore, i'm disconnected. he looks more cute than evil and less than appetizing in packaged 3-d form.

Lovcecraft wrote short stories and the Cthulhu mythos was really only hinted at in specific stories but you can start with "The Call of Cthulhu" which appears in many Lovecraft anthologies.

You might also read "At the Mountains of Madness".

Good starting points and creepy as hell.

• and creepy as hell.

i'm sold

I should add that there's considerable literary debates around Lovecraft being a total Anglophile and racist, elements of which are on display in stories like "Call of Cthulhu." Just be forewarned.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Lovcecraft wrote short stories and the Cthulhu mythos was really only hinted at in specific stories but you can start with "The Call of Cthulhu" which appears in many Lovecraft anthologies.

You might also read "At the Mountains of Madness".

Good starting points and creepy as hell.

"Beyond The Wall Of Sleep" is a good one too

• The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward....

• HP Lovecraft is a far better writer than L Ron Hubbard

the first title that jumped to mind was 'creeping death' - but then I realized that one was inspired by the book of Exodus in the old testament...

they have "The Call Of Ktulu" on Ride the Lightning and to LIve is To Die quotes the story towards the end. Eminor