Does anybody else feel "BLASE" about records?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I've BEEN feeling this way. I went from copping records everyday...to like a few times a week...to now just buying a few records here and there. I don't really dig for old shit like I used, I don't hit-up the thrifts or the local spots, at most I'll go to the Merchant.So yo, is anybody else feeling this way? Am I over records? Is it my age? Is it because dope records are hard-as-hell to find?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My girlfriend, my wallet, and the floorboards of my house would be really happy if I lost interest... but it rarely even dips briefly...

• I'm the same way. Partly because I need to weed my collection out. I got too many shitty records crowding the good ones. Also because years of fruitless digs made me very pessimistic when I pass by my regular spots.

[color:white]Should I have *PASUED* that fruitless comment? [/color]

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I still buy heaps of stuff, but i get a lot less excited about finding stuff than I used to... it it seems to be harder and harder to find stuff that really excites me.

• yall are out of your damn minds. herm, what the fuck is worong with you man???
    you went to a flea market and found "woman is sweeter" for nothing. dont think i forget these things. you might go next week and find ten sealed s.o.u.l. LPs. or an acetate of their lost album.

i definiteyl dont dig as much as i used to. i hardly ever go to shows. but i love the anticipation, right before hitting up some bins,knowing i could hit a motherlode. its happened enough fucking times. and i got enough spots where i can just hit them up when im in that neck of the woods. and i end up finding a couple baller records a month, which keeps my whistle wet.

i still daydream about finding a hitload of dope records. could happen anyday now

when i dont get out much, the weekend find threads keep my imagination flying. i love my man dakar's finds (althgouh that muhfukca has owed me a record for more than a year.) and soufrieres finds used to be cool too. karlophone! what!!!! keep killin em!!

moist and herm...yall can retire your asses to a rolling chair and work on your mp3 collections my brovas

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Welcome to my world. Time is at such a premium these day so bumping elbows with timmy dig-a-lots and dealer price-a-lots is the last thing I want to do with my free time. Maybe it's a phase, maybe it's here to stay. Either way, go with the flow man. Don't force yourself to do anything that doesn't interest you, just for the sake of traditon and/or keeping it real.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    yeah, i don't really dig as HARD as I did a few years back, I still go pretty hard when on vacation, which I'm trying to stop doing and enjoying more of the countries I hit... it's just pretty slim pickings here in the UK and also in Australia too... If I lived in Japan, I would still be diggin' it up at least 2 or 3 times a week hard... but aside from that, I don't think I'll ever have that same fuel and hunger to constantly spend money on trains, fuel, etc. to find records... it's much more convenient to trade off records I have these days that go looking for stark realitys in the charity stores... call me lazy... but i gots to hold down the 9 to 5!

b

• yall are out of your damn minds. herm, what the fuck is worong with you man???
    you went to a flea market and found "woman is sweeter" for nothing. dont think i forget these things. you might go next week and find ten sealed s.o.u.l. LPs. or an acetate of their lost album.

i definiteyl dont dig as much as i used to. i hardly ever go to shows. but i love the anticipation, right before hitting up some bins,knowing i could hit a motherlode. its happened enough fucking times. and i got enough spots where i can just hit them up when im in that neck of the woods. and i end up finding a couple baller records a month, which keeps my whistle wet.

i still daydream about finding a hitload of dope records. could happen anyday now

when i dont get out much, the weekend find threads keep my imagination flying. i love my man dakar's finds (althgouh that muhfukca has owed me a record for more than a year.) and soufrieres finds used to be cool too. karlophone! what!!!! keep killin em!!

moist and herm...yall can retire your asses to a rolling chair and work on your mp3 collections my brovas

Great post.

• moist and herm...yall can retire your asses to a rolling chair and work on your mp3 collections my brovas

Now I feel like shit.

What's my penance, Father Hobo?

• be the first one to the fleas/swapmeets three weekends in a row. get out of the house before dawn. if theres a girl (or guy) in your bed, drag their ass out with you or leave them in the sack. penance and records will be found.
    or
    one all nighter where you are the first at said fleas/swaps
    or
    got to 7 thrift stores and if you dont find anything, demand to know who is doing the inside job on their stock. dont leave till they cough up a phone number.

• we should play record digging "would you rather"

would you rather get bloody cuticles from digging thru 3 crates
    or
    look through 3 crates of moldy,flaky airborn pathogen records?

• one all nighter where you are the first at said fleas/swaps

Will do, however I will be out of town on vacation next week so it'll have to wait until the following week.

Thank you for your firm yet nurturing punishment. I will not let you down, my friend.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I'm the same way. Partly because I need to weed my collection out. I got too many shitty records crowding the good ones. Also because years of fruitless digs made me very pessimistic when I pass by my regular spots.

• one all nighter where you are the first at said fleas/swaps

Will do, however I will be out of town on vacation next week so it'll have to wait until the following week.

Thank you for your firm yet nurturing punishment. I will not let you down, my friend.
    when you are redeemed by a cache of ill latin joints, save one for me. suerte!

• we should play record digging "would you rather"

would you rather get bloody cuticles from digging thru 3 crates
    or
    look through 3 crates of moldy,flaky airborn pathogen records?

How about:

Would you rather slide a fly honey out the bed to go look for records
    or
    Record a fly honey in your bed while she slides and slathers?

• i hardly buy records these days partly because i want to spend my disposable income on travel and entertainment. also because when i switched rooms in my house, i put all my records in the room next to me so i could have more space for other furniture and a drum set. the record room is only 8 feet away but it's different psychologically. there's also a bunch of video equipment, cables, books and foamheads in there which make it hard for me to flip through. it's a mess. i have a crate in my room for stuff i want accessible and i swap the records in the crate every month so i still listen, but buying new records not so much. i hate to say it but i hardly leave the mission much and most of the record stores i love (amoeba, groove merchant) require 2 or more bart/muni transfers from where i live. if i do buy, it's off of ebay now. lazy lazy

• no. peace, stein. . .

• i hardly buy records these days partly because i want to spend my disposable income on travel and entertainment.[/b]

i'm confused.for me,travel and entertainment sounds like going somewhere to flip through records.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i hardly buy records these days partly because i want to spend my disposable income on travel and entertainment.[/b]

i'm confused.for me,travel and entertainment sounds like going somewhere to flip through records.

i def try to make sure i find records wherever i go, but going to the same old flea on sunday morning is getting old.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I feel "blase" about records at least once a year.

• I still go hard when I go out of town but locally I'm out the loop. At some point every record you haven't seen is 100+. Shit gets old.

• wake up early enough for the fremont flea market and youll find never seen befores for $4.

• wake up early enough for the fremont flea market and youll find never seen befores for $4.

Maybe some waxidermy nonsense. Papaya or some garbation. Fremont has always been mediocre for me. I'd rather outbid somebody. That's what real collectros do.

Maybe some waxidermy nonsense. Papaya or some garbation. Fremont has always been mediocre for me. I'd rather outbid somebody. That's what real collectros do.

Yeah dude, I'm sure you've seen it all.

• Maybe some waxidermy nonsense. Papaya or some garbation. Fremont has always been mediocre for me. I'd rather outbid somebody. That's what real collectros do.

I've passed on it all in your case.

• LOL. isnt the seattle urban legnd that the dude from jivetime found a stark reality there? i came up there regularly...i am not sure about "never seen before shit" but definitely a couple hundred dollar ballers.

I hope you carted out your little cookie monster record player and checked "it" for...

Wait for it...

• LOL. isnt the seattle urban legnd that the dude from jivetime found a stark reality there? i came up there regularly...i am not sure about "never seen before shit" but definitely a couple hundred dollar ballers.

He told me he found one in Brier a while ago. Maybe he found one at Fremont too though.

• Maybe some waxidermy nonsense. Papaya or some garbation. Fremont has always been mediocre for me. I'd rather outbid somebody. That's what real collectros do.

I hope you carted out your little cookie monster record player and checked "it" for...

Wait for it...

You got me dude. That's what I do. All day everyday.

Wait for it...

You got me dude. That's what I do. All day everyday.

VINDICATED

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The only "blase" thing I feel about records is a) not having enough $$ to buy all the ones I want when I find them & b) the untidyness that comes with having not enough space in your house to comfortably fit the collection. These are a couple of the things that get me down a bit from time to time.