Just to Keep You Satisfied (M. Gaye Related).

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Best distressed love song ever.Background vocal chord movements "We could not beeeeeaaaar the mental strain".

Comments

• Dude, I was in a bad place during a breakup and that song just stuck the knife in and twisted it every time I heard it. Amazing performance by Marvin on that cut. You could tell he was going through some things when he wrote and recorded that.

"I never loved nobody...like I loved you baaaaaby!"

GOTDAMN!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dude, I was in a bad place during a breakup and that song just stuck the knife in and twisted it every time I heard it. Amazing performance by Marvin on that cut. You could tell he was going through some things when he wrote and recorded that.

"I never loved nobody...like I loved you baaaaaby!"

GOTDAMN!

Yes.

But I always feel like Marvin just got over some shit there. It's as bleak-saddenly positive as anything I can think of.

[fading words]"...is that we can both try to be happy"[/fading words]

• The precursor to the Here My Dear album.

Check out the original song/track by The Originals who also sang backup.

Originally penned by Gaye as a song about a husband's devotion to his wife, Gaye produced versions with The Miracles, The Monitors and The Originals, who later supplied background vocals for Gaye's version.

I didnt know about The Miracles & Monitors versions.

Kenny Lattimore - nice & smooth version
    Lisa Stansfield - from the MG dedication/covers album
    Howard Hewitt - Best version - after he broke up w/ Nia Peoples

And Im pretty sure there some alternatives on the Deluxe album.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, the Deluxe CD set has at least two or three versions of the song, including an alternate recording I really like plus one or two of the precursors.

And I agree - the song is a gut punch. Totally sets up "Here, My Dear."