THIEF/Mann/Caan

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I know cats hate/criticize Mann as a director, but this is my shit.James Caan = Tuesday Weld = Tangerine Dream Soundtrack = A young Jim Belushi as the sideman.This is before Miami Vice and u can see where alot of Don Johnson's swagger/gun handling originates.Dirty Chicago Gangster Shit w/out the over the top excessive gunplay until the very end.Thief > Scarface in my private mind garden.And when did Mann switch his style up? This film is slow and dark.

Comments

• I know cats hate/criticize Mann as a director

Mann's films are overly stylistic at the expense of other dramatic elements IMO - I found THIEF, HEAT, and MANHUNTER to be severely lacking in any kind of emotional interest, despite really wanting to like them.

But James Caan? Unfuckwithable.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I know cats hate/criticize Mann as a director

If im not mistaken cats were hattin on the new Miami Vice & Transformers for the editing style.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Early cable classic...along with the likes of Death Wish II and for some reason Fast Walking comes to mind...great stuff.

Saying.

Thief is my shit, B'mon.

Mann's films are overly stylistic at the expense of other dramatic elements IMO - I found THIEF, HEAT, and MANHUNTER to be severely lacking in any kind of emotional interest, despite really wanting to like them.

U werent feelin his "wanting a baby/family" backstory in THIEF? The diner scene is convincing to me.

Early cable classic.

Exactly.

no love for The Insider?

i see what you're saying. i like mann mainly for his style. he is probably the only director i can think of where that matters more to me than content. i don't know how he gets the lighting on a lot of those night scenes. they are truly one of a kind and look like long exposure stills. and they make LA seem really ethereal.

If im not mistaken cats were hattin on the new Miami Vice & Transformers for the editing style.

mann was involved with Transformers??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

no love for The Insider?

The Insider was one of the most paranoia-invoking films ever. I don't know if I would call it a great film, but it sure had me looking over my shoulder for days.

Miami Vice sucked. He had nothing to do with Transformers. Thief is the realness but the ending kind of lacks and includes one of the worst fake deaths I have ever seen. Insider is the best Mann film to date and Heat is everyone's guilty pleasure.

• I love early Mann flicks

But I always fall asleep watching Thief or Manhunter, perhaps because I have no one to watch them with

I didn't know Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack, but I guess that seems right.

The ending is pretty ::raw::

I know cats hate/criticize Mann as a director

mann was involved with Transformers??

My bad.

• I love early Mann flicks

But I always fall asleep watching Thief or Manhunter, perhaps because I have no one to watch them with

I didn't know Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack, but I guess that seems right.

The ending is pretty ::raw::

I don't think I've ever come across a dollar bin that didn't have a copy of the Thief soundtrack. Is this a case of the soundtrack being more successful than the movie?

• Miami Vice is great to watch, not so much to listen to. I likeed it, not as much as Heat or The Insider or even Ali (the Rumber in the Jungle -- oh hell yes) or The Last of the Mohicans (sp).

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I liked Ali.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

I know cats hate/criticize Mann as a director, but this is my shit.

James Caan =

Tuesday Weld =

Tangerine Dream Soundtrack =

A young Jim Belushi as the sideman.

This is before Miami Vice and u can see where alot of Don Johnson's swagger/gun handling originates.

Dirty Chicago Gangster Shit w/out the over the top excessive gunplay until the very end.

Thief > Scarface in my private mind garden.

And when did Mann switch his style up? This film is slow and dark.

Michael Mann has always done his own thing, and I continue to dig it. There are a lot of common threads running through both his film and TV work. I'm definitely a fan.