Estate Sales

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
anyone here ever get really lucky at an Estate Sale. i always see them around here but i get all flustered...do tons of people show up at these things?i know no one can say if its worth my time or not but i just wanted some thoughts from some of you

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Once in a blue moon for records. Usually full of antique collectible stuff. Plus there are estate liquidation companies that double as antique stores here, and some pawn off their records to dealers and whatnot.

• aren't these the joints where poor people whose home mortgages have been foreclosed have to sit idly by and watch years and years worth of tender memories and heard-earned tokens of their future hopes and dreams sold to unscrupulous vultures for pennies?

• Some estate sale managers around here lug the same shitty boxes of records from one estate sale to the other. Motherhugging time wasters.

• aren't these the joints where poor people whose home mortgages have been foreclosed have to sit idly by and watch years and years worth of tender memories and heard-earned tokens of their future hopes and dreams sold to unscrupulous vultures for pennies?

It's usually dead people's stuff, from what I understand.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    the ad says this...

"walk around the house and buy what you want. 1000s of records and books"

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    they are great from an antropologic point of view.

• someone on here picked up an East of Underground at an estate sale last year...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    It's great when you see the now dead couple holding their babies in a framed picture.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    you just buy your Frank Sinatra Greatest Hits and come back to your home to hold your wife and children knowing that this time wil pass too soon.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Options
    anyone here ever get really lucky at an Estate Sale. i always see them around here but i get all flustered...

do tons of people show up at these things?

i know no one can say if its worth my time or not but i just wanted some thoughts from some of you

Everyone checks those ads and if they advertise any amount of records other than "records" there will usually be a few collectros waiting there when the sale begins. There are also the hardcore few who will show up a few days before and try to get the first look at what they have, or they'll be calling the house with a reverse white pages to see if it's worth their while. Or they know the people who run the estate sale company and saw the records already.

All that aside, I've done ok at estate sales in the past but struck out completely this year. You really have to be there at the open or even beforehand. Also, if it's a big big sale with lots of good quality items (you'll know from the ad and the area) be prepared to wait on line outside while they only let in a few people at a time to prevent stealing.

• I was gonna say, if you're really dedicated to hitting the right ones and doing your homework you will find some stuff. A lot of people hold on to their shit until the day they meet their maker. But there are folks that do it hardcore, so you got to step up or step off.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Who was the dude that pulled a Relatively Clean Rivers at an estate sale? If I remember correctly it was on like the 2nd day or something too.

Radical.

• Who was the dude that pulled a Relatively Clean Rivers at an estate sale? If I remember correctly it was on like the 2nd day or something too.

Radical.

and, He's Coming at the same one!

(b/w, I can't believe how much that RCR goes for online. wow. i'm so disconnected.)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Seriously. That was one lucky fucker. Was it phono13, maybe?

• Options
    Who was the dude that pulled a Relatively Clean Rivers at an estate sale? If I remember correctly it was on like the 2nd day or something too.

Radical.

and, He's Coming at the same one!

(b/w, I can't believe how much that RCR goes for online. wow. i'm so disconnected.)

It was you?!?! Was there an assistant there the day before videotaping the crates, in full violation of estate sale rules?

Right Sween?

• Weren't me, sween...i just reread some thread last week that included the whole exchange....

No Shred Here.

Nor any of the other 9000 graemlins.

• Options
    Weren't me, sween...i just reread some thread last week that included the whole exchange....

No Shred Here.

Nor any of the other 9000 graemlins.

What a waste of graemlins, thank god and raj that they're free.

• it's allright...i dropped a bunch in the Always Sunny Thread in homage...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Race you to E**e***l** !

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I have some friends who run estate sales for a living and they make a killing.
    They only do full on sales for the best ones, the others they just poach the best stuff to
    sell for the clients on Ebay.
    They don't get too many records, at least not many good ones.
    They had a sale last year, that they told me about the day AFTER it was
    over that had a ton of folk records.
    The client was some hippie/union organizer/communist type.
    Sounded like a Waxidermists wet dream.