Blue Note audiophile reissue series? Two of them?

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I wish I could afford to get the entire collection, this will be nuts. Anyway, two different labels are going to be doing their own Blue Note reissues, all on audiophile 45 rpm albums. In other words, instead of having the album as one piece of vinyl at 33rpm, you may be getting them as three or four records each at 45rpm, for "optimum quality". They are all being remastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray (Hoffman is known for many great remaster jobs, and Gray is the one responsible for the recent Steely Dan Aja[/b] remaster that came out on vinyl in honor of the album's 30th anniversary, along with many other albums in his career, check your liners).Here is what will be remastered and reissued:MUSIC MATTERS LTD.:http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/release2.htmlANALOGUE PRODUCTIONS (via ACOUSTIC SOUNDS):http://store.acousticsounds.com/whatsnew.cfmIt would be nice for someone to tap into the Mainstream discography. Unless someone wants to beat them to it (hint hint).

Comments

• They need to reissue some of the Japanese only Blue Notes...I've been waiting for Bobby Hutcherson's "Oblique" for years...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The whole Blue Note catalog is so damn confusing already. Microgroove, mono, stereo, digital, Japanese, 80s reissues, audiophile reissues. It's a bit excessive.

Isn't splitting up all the tracks like this going to bug people who listen to whole albums?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I will say they picked some great ones to reissue though.

• The whole Blue Note catalog is so damn confusing already. Microgroove, mono, stereo, digital, Japanese, 80s reissues, audiophile reissues. It's a bit excessive.

Isn't splitting up all the tracks like this going to bug people who listen to whole albums?

I would think so. I like searching for high quality or the "preferred" pressing like anyone else, and I haven't made myself get into these type of audiophile pressings where an album is spread over 4 different records, each at 45rpm. It would be interesting, and at least if someone wants to hear them but doesn't want to pay to hear them (these are vinyl only remasterings), they can wait until a fan does a vinyl transfer and converts it to files where one can play it as a CD or DVD-A, or directly from the lossless file.

Some peopel might thing this series is too cheap, and they'll just spring a few thousand to join The Tape Project, a far cry from homemade double cassette dubs.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    They need to reissue some of the Japanese only Blue Notes...I've been waiting for Bobby Hutcherson's "Oblique" for years...