knees

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
my knees are starting to feel the effects of constant strain

anyone have any tips to minimize the strain? I know stretching works wonders

I know AlGarth has had surgery, anyone else suffering from constant kneeling/getting up/getting down on knees while digging?

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    if you've got dodgy or so-so knees and you're persisting with something like jogging or street skating you really need to get your head examined

as for repeated bending, yoga can help condition your thighs - squatting for periods of time will prob always cause some tenderness .. total next day pain, lots of things can cause the tenderness tho, I spent a few hours walkign down a thousand metres or so of the jungfrau in switzerland a few years back (taking in the eidelwiess and cow bells whilst sampling the local green) and the next day I was in serious pain !!

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Try to drop some weight, and do knee streaches... Put your hands on your knees and legs toghther and bend up and down in a circular motion. NO JOKE a buddy of mine told me that cause he has bad knees from squating and lifting to much weight. It has worked for me I jacked my knee playing basketball and it worked for me and I do it at least every other day... And go see your doctor, they'll probably give you some lame motrin for swelling or somthing but that's not goin to help in the long run, though it could jack up your stomach and kidney....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Put your hands on your knees and legs toghther and bend up and down in a circular motion.

word. i always do that. as a matter of fact it's good to stretch everday.

and yea, like Mangoman said, weight will definitely have a factor in lower body aches and pains. The heavier you are, the more your legs and knees have to work.
    if you're not in a habit of exercising regularly, even short walks around the block can probably help you in the long run.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    getting down on knees

Young Mark, AYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Try to drop some weight, and do knee streaches... Put your hands on your knees and legs toghther and bend up and down in a circular motion. NO JOKE a buddy of mine told me that cause he has bad knees from squating and lifting to much weight. It has worked for me I jacked my knee playing basketball and it worked for me and I do it at least every other day... And go see your doctor, they'll probably give you some lame motrin for swelling or somthing but that's not goin to help in the long run, though it could jack up your stomach and kidney....

Mangoman comin' through with the standard Gung Fu warmup knowledge. Oh so true.

You might also try adding ground flaxseed to your daily diet. I started eating it regularly about 6 months ago when I found out that my cholesterol was a little high (file under not getting any goddamn younger over here). It lowers cholesterol, makes you unbelievably regular (are you listening, Shig[/b]?), and has other added benefits, namely, it's great for your joints.

My mom-in-law to be takes it for her arthritis and I noticed that my knees have stopped hurting (after 12 years of hurting). I even run 3 miles/3 times a week now and my knees are fine. Give it a shot.

DISCLAIMER: It's a lot like eating sawdust, but it doesn't have much of a taste. I put it on my cereal and it's not so bad. Also, you'll have horrific gas until your body gets used to it, but hey, I'll take fart attacks over heart attacks.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hamstring flexibility is key in reducing knee pain, patellar tendonitis, etc...muscles work in pairs, if you have tight hams, your quads have to work extra hard if they are being resisted by tight hamstrings. That places stress on the patella(knee cap) and the patellar tendon, if you have ample flexibility in your hamstrings, the quads and patella dont have to work as hard and less stress is placed on them. Stretch your hams constantly. It will help, I promise.