NYC SIGHTSEEING RELATED???

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
OK, I'm a little disconnected and last time I was in NYC was for the DMC World Finals in 1999, I was too busy running around interviewing people and going to Tableturns events to have enjoyed New York, so basically this is my first "proper" trip out there. The information is a little daunting, so what I want to do is get ya'll to reccomend some must see sights/stores/restaurants + any travel tips... we're staying over near central park, near harlem...I'll be there from October 11th till October 17th.Any NY folk wanna lend a hand?Cheers for any info dropped.Bev

Comments

• hit you on the PMS.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    As cheesy as it sounds, go see the Statue of Liberty. I took the Staten Island ferry instead of the tourist statue ferry, it goes right by the statue. It's awe inducing, for real.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    word, thats on the plans...

what about stuff like the empire state building, etc.

i went to times square...

where is the good shopping areas for shoes / records?? the village? soho?

b

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    east village for records.
    good records, a-1, etc. all good spots. shoes? not so sure, i tried to hit up a few spots in the east village area, and they had some dunks and shit, but nothing spectacular. Hit up Batmon for shoe info. There's tons of awesome Indian food in that area too.
    Also, if you're shitfaced and it's 4:30am, hit up taxi-cab (punjabi) deli.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    There's tons of awesome Indian food in that area too.

True.

The Empire State Building is kinda cool, but try to get there real early when it opens cause the wait can be long. Makes you realize just how built up NYC is.

In terms of neighborhoods, the Upper West Side is great. Definately walk through Harlem by the Apollo. If you get a chance and someone good is playing try to hit up the Blue Note or the Village Vanguard, if not both.

In general though, just walk through the city as much as you can in different spots - you will find great things wherever you go. Central Park is beautiful - it is a strange experience to be sitting in a rowboat in a little lake with 30+ story buildings surrounding the park like giant walls. The Brooklyn bridge is also a great legendary spot.

Man, I WISH I lived in NYC. One day...

• HamHam 872 Posts
    great thread, i'm going to NY in march.
    keep it coming

• As cheesy as it sounds, go see the Statue of Liberty. I took the Staten Island ferry instead of the tourist statue ferry, it goes right by the statue. It's awe inducing, for real.

and it's FREE! Last time I went (also my first time), it was with my nephew. We saw a dead dolphin sittin' sidewayz on the top of the water. Pretty crazy.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

where is the good shopping areas for shoes / records?? the village? soho?

b

Stay away from SoHO as much you can. If you want sneakers check out Transit, Classic Kicks, and Dave's Quality Meat (all East Village area).

Other Music is good for records if you get there at the right time. I usually find stuff to be priced pretty fair, but I'm nowhere near as deep in the game as most of the people on this board.

For restaurants it depends on what you're trying to eat. I think the East Village generally has the highest concentration of good affordable places to eat, but I'm vegetarian 85% of the year. Hit me on the PM for specifics on restaurants.

As crazy as it may sound, I highly suggest renting a car one day and just driving around the city, as it will give you an enitrely different perspective. Same goes for a bicycle. Check out Union Square on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday for the Green Market. Walk around in Cobble Hill (Brooklyn). Also try and get out really early one day--Like 7 AM--for another twist on the City perspective.

OH, definitely do go to SoHO for Sullivan Street Bakery/Grandaisy. It's on Sullivan in between Broome and SPring, and they have the most amazing classic style pizzas (different kinds of veggies, with no sauce, and no cheese or just a little bit of grated cheese), and sandwiches, and breads, and baked treats.

ALso hit Vol de Nuits beer graden for a decent Belgian experience in the city (complete with moules and frites). or Lorelay (sp?) for the German version.

• shomshom 31 Posts
    I've lived in New York for the past 9 months and I feel like I've just started seeing stuff. Its really sick. In terms of kicks, you can get good cheap (non exclusive) joints at a place like David Z's. For the rare joints you can get at Alife Rivington Club, Flight Club, Reed Space, Goliath in Harlem (close to the park) etc. There are many more.

The food is so crazy there. Kati Roll in the Greenwich Village is amazing. Mognolia bakery is really good (get the bananna pudding). Cafeteria is a good place for the afterparty scene. Its endless man.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    cosign Daves Quality Meats for shoes. definitely go see jonny at good on 3rd. big city records on 12th. get your pizza at arturos on houston. eat some arepas at caracas on 1st ave and 7th. check out the staircase at the bottom of riverside park at sunset. thats one of my favorite spots in the city. also the piers in redhook if you make it that far.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wear some Tevas and take pictures of Times Square.