Record Buying VS Actually Listening To Records

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
So for years now I've bought way more records than I can listen to in any reasonable amount of time. I constantly have a back log of "I still need to listen to those" records. Then I go out, buy a shit ton more records and just add to the stack. I know I'm not the only one on here that does this by a long shot but damn, why the hell do we do this? I have records I've owned for years and never listened to.WTF?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not only that but I find that when I do actually play records it's always the "let me see if this is as shitty as I remember it being" ones.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I don't see how yall people can do this. I buy records only to listen and to play out, and not to collect dust on an expedit shelf.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I don't see how yall people can do this. I buy records only to listen and to play out, and not to collect dust on an expedit shelf.

Bonus record world points to this gentleman, please.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    It's not that I don't listen to records, I listen to a shit ton. From the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. It's just I buy more than I can listen to in any real time frame.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    WE ARE TRYING TO SHARE OVER HERE

• i buy records mostly to play out or to sample so they get some amount of "listening," even if i am just skimming though to find a hot sound to sample.

however, in the realm of collecting, how many collectors actually use the things they collect... i.e. wearing shoes, playing records, eating pez, playing with star wars toys etc. my mother collects kerosene lamps and i can't say i've ever seen one lit up, though she owns enough to light the damn white house.

• i collect records so that other people cant have them.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I think it's like girls with too many handbags.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i collect records so that other people cant have them.

It's ironic that in buying multiple copies of LPs (which I ususally do with the idea of passing it along to someone who might not have it already, ie I have at least 3-4 copies of Alice Cooper's 'Love It To Death')that I end up preventing people from having that record. Oh well.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    i collect records so that other people cant have them for below market value.

• I find I listen to 10% of my collection 80% of the time. The rest of my collection I listen to 20% of the time. And yes, there are records in the void known as "to listen" that will likely sit there for eternity.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I know the "to listen to" pain all to well & I have tried to make a point of only listening to records I haven't listened to yet the last few years, but it hasn't visibly helped the situation even with that rule in place.

• I buy, auction off the crap, buy more with the money!
    I have some records in my stack that I haven't dropped a needle on yet. WHY???
    I don't have the time. But, a very good effort is put into listening before I auction something.

• that is a very real problem - that of "so many records/so little time." im sitting here now, winding down after work and listening to a blind boy fuller LP ive had since april, but am only getting around to playing now, five months later.

that, and the fact that when you do get record listening time, you naturally start reaching for old faves that youve listened to a zillion times

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I bought a bunch of jigsaw puzzles recently, just so I would have something to do while I work through my "to listen to" section, which is now thankfully down to about 3-1/2 expedit squares. I find I really start getting into trouble when I pick up lots that have a few records I want in them. I feel obligated to listen to that copy of John Mayall - Union Blues that came with the lot, even though I really don't think it's going to do much for me.

It didn't.

But that's not counting the boxes of uncleaned, unlistened-to 45s. That's going to be a few weeks of listening to the Sox on mute, right there.

• But that's not counting the boxes of uncleaned, unlistened-to 45s.

my pile never seems to go down...it's a sickness, i've accepted it.