logic 8 only $499??

chasechase 767 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
who has it? I want it!

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i hate logic

nuendo is god

• Great program, specially if your are doing extravagent midi sequencing and arranging...Recommended!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Great program, specially if love spending hours and hours doing extravagent midi sequencing and arranging...Recommended!

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I just can't belive the price, logic 7 was a grand easy...

I know many dudes that swear by this program

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    yea that price is amazing for sure.. I love Logic Pro (7.2) , but damn does that $199 upgrade option look sweet right about now! It doesn't use a dongle USB key though, so my guess would be that a crack is soon to come, which kind of sucks for Logic. The flipside is, the price is so good that enough people would actually buy the real thing, plus you get the content disc which has some potentially useable stuff within.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    $499!!!!!

holy shite!!!!

i may make the switch from ableton now that im doing more live music recording... the multiple take edtting seems SICK

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Someone convince me that I should get Logic instead of ProTools. Buying a Digi 002r with ProTools already there is looking awfully sweet right now...

screw pro tools

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Oh snappels. I'm upgrading to a mac next year and I'll definately buy Logic then.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    wow, i'm suprised this shit actually came out. i was originally going to post in here saying you got tricked by some bootleg shit haha

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    screw pro tools

ive got both, and logic is nice, but i couldnt live without tools.

that is some aggresive pricing though! at 499 i say pick it up anyways.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they're really going to fuck up the DAW market with that pricing. fuck up in a good way for consumers. them dropping the dongle too even though that shit was unfadeable? such a good look. academic price is rumor at $199 which is like whoa

they're really going to fuck up the DAW market with that pricing. fuck up in a good way for consumers. them dropping the dongle too even though that shit was unfadeable? such a good look. academic price is rumor at $199 which is like whoa

but wait, it looks like garage band! garage band on steroids? ewww.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I ain't broke, so IM getting it! Thanks for the heads up!!

Reason is boring me-anyone else felt this way before?

I enjoyed using FL but have a mac

I've heard some great things about this too:

Moog Lil' Phatty

I mean, it really just took them forever to get Logic down to standard pricing, cause really, $500 has already been the standard for a minute. You can get a Digi 002 for around $600 these days with ProTools software + plugins. Ableton has been $500 since forever ago, and some of the other DAWs are pretty cheap too. Reason isn't a DAW really though, it's more of a gigantic virtual instrument rack.

Really though, it's all about academic discount pricing.

My main concern with Logic is that even though it's good, it's just not Apple's first priority these days, and the way they market it seems to be towards the prosumer/Garageband market. I don't want DAW for dummies.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Great program, specially if love spending hours and hours doing extravagent midi sequencing and arranging...Recommended!

i take it back. looks like apple really figured some sh*t out with this new version.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    should I wait a few months to see if it goes down a few hundred dollars? Then again maybe if I buy it now, they might give a $100 dollars in credit...

• Using logic 5 and 6 I always found it to be one of the hardest DAWs to pick up, such an overly complicated interface with too many windows. I had a tough time editing with it and using functions with strange names and locations...I dunno it never worked for me, Protools makes way more sense. However I will say Logic has a great midi/sequencing section.

Maybe 8 is a lot more user friendly but I'd say demo this app if you haven't used it before because it's not for everyone.

Using logic 5 and 6 I always found it to be one of the hardest DAWs to pick up, such an overly complicated interface with too many windows. I had a tough time editing with it and using functions with strange names and locations...I dunno it never worked for me, Protools makes way more sense. However I will say Logic has a great midi/sequencing section.

Maybe 8 is a lot more user friendly but I'd say demo this app if you haven't used it before because it's not for everyone.

i think theit fix was to make it like garage band. honestly, logic is fairly complicated, but once you get your template set it works decent enough.

i would never mix with it though.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    I am a Cubase user since many many years now. Logic Heads, convince me.
    What is so ultimatly better about logic? a lot of cats swear on it.

$199??? DAMN im gonna stand out side the university like an underage kid tryin to get bear at the liquor store "uhhhhh can you uhhh please buy me some software"

• I've been using Logic 6.4 for years, and my problems have always been workflow and audio editing. I never bothered to upgrade to 7 because I couldn't see paying $299 for a couple new plugins, a UI overhaul, and some bugs. So I'm happy that they focused on usability and stability for this revision. At $199 to upgrade I didn't even have to think about it.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I believe Logic is now owned by Apple, which would explain the price drop.

I believe Logic is now owned by Apple, which would explain the price drop.

Logic has been owned by apple since version 5 I think.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Using logic 5 and 6 I always found it to be one of the hardest DAWs to pick up, such an overly complicated interface with too many windows. I had a tough time editing with it and using functions with strange names and locations...I dunno it never worked for me, Protools makes way more sense. However I will say Logic has a great midi/sequencing section.

bingo
    you can't just do anything you want on the fly
    every move is precluded by 3 0r 4 steps
    pain in the ass

• I have no idea what took them three years though. Rumour has it that they rewrote most of the legacy code in the audio engine, so a lot of the work might not be visible from the surface.

• Using logic 5 and 6 I always found it to be one of the hardest DAWs to pick up, such an overly complicated interface with too many windows. I had a tough time editing with it and using functions with strange names and locations...I dunno it never worked for me, Protools makes way more sense. However I will say Logic has a great midi/sequencing section.

bingo
    pain in the ass

Once you set up custom screensets and key commands you can work really fast... you can customize just about anything for your work style. But it's a pain in the ass starting cold. It seems like Emagic were more interested in depth than usability.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

bingo
    pain in the ass

Once you set up custom screensets and key commands you can work really fast... you can customize just about anything for your work style. But it's a pain in the ass starting cold. It seems like Emagic were more interested in depth than usability.

the way the new version looks, there is only one window with adjustible regions. kinda like ableton. this might be the best move apple has made with logic, baring geting rid of the audio window entirely.

imo the virtual instruments/ plugins make this totaly worth it. just rewire it into pt or dump all your audio into pt and do editing if need be (but it does look like the new version is hyped up on the ediiting side.

• the way the new version looks, there is only one window with adjustible regions. kinda like ableton. this might be the best move apple has made with logic, baring geting rid of the audio window entirely.

imo the virtual instruments/ plugins make this totaly worth it. just rewire it into pt or dump all your audio into pt and do editing if need be (but it does look like the new version is hyped up on the ediiting side.

All the other windows are apparently still in there, so you can use your old screensets if you want. They just put a lot of work into making the single-window view a usable default. I'll probably still keep a couple screensets around for file management and mixing.