email from my mom

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:22:03 -0700 (PDT)From: xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: maybe you aloready know this, but just in cast you don'tTo: Oliver Wang Rap Revival?:Rap giants Kanye West and 50 Cent are releasing their eagerly anticipated albums today. XXL magazine editor Elliot Wilson tells us why this is such a significant day for the music industry. Can these new releases stem the tide of decreasing album sales industrywide?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Im not sure Mom, but I bet you'd like Kanye West's better than 50 Cent."

"Mommy, why are u reading XXL?"

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    my mom always cuts music-related pieces out of the newspaper and sends them to me.

It shows they're thinking of you. I gotta give that a

on the real though, I want O's mom to weigh in on Curtis v. Kanye. What's really good, Mrs. Dub!?!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
    Subject: maybe you aloready know this, but just in cast you don't
    To: Oliver Wang

Rap Revival?:
    Rap giants Kanye West and 50 Cent are releasing their eagerly anticipated albums today. XXL magazine editor Elliot Wilson tells us why this is such a significant day for the music industry. Can these new releases stem the tide of decreasing album sales industrywide?

Mom,

Both are pretty mediocre MCs, but seem to help the media perpetuate this false dichotomy. If black people were truly united, things would change in this country so fast our heads would spin. Whew! Luckily, we can keep these dumb fucks separated by perpetuating the time tested 'plantation' approach. Anyways, let's talk about Duke Ellington when you come up for Rashashauna.

Hugs,

Oliver

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Rap Revival?:
    Rap giants Kanye West and 50 Cent are releasing their eagerly anticipated albums today. XXL magazine editor Elliot Wilson tells us why this is such a significant day for the music industry. Can these new releases stem the tide of decreasing album sales industrywide?

The above paragraph says leagues about the state of music from four different perspectives at once. Powerful stuff, if you read between the lines.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's funny, cause my dad does this a lot too, except a few of the times he's called me to say that you're on NPR, O-Dub.

And not to threadjack but if both these records flop numbers-wise (which I imagine they will) I really do think it will be the true end of the high-profile major-label rap record that gets a large promotion budget. With flops from Kanye, 50, T.I., and Common, I really can't see major labels as viewing rap as a great investment.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's funny, cause my dad does this a lot too, except a few of the times he's called me to say that you're on NPR, O-Dub.

And not to threadjack but if both these records flop numbers-wise (which I imagine they will) I really do think it will be the true end of the high-profile major-label rap record that gets a large promotion budget. With flops from Kanye, 50, T.I., and Common, I really can't see major labels as viewing rap as a great investment.

How did T.I. flop exactly? He sold 400,000 his first week. Common didn't go gold or anything but he had the #1 album (albeit in a weak week) but on paper, that looks pretty good.