running in different directions

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
the folks collecting soul/funk of late 60s/early 70s vintage back at the beginning of the decade have either now (now that they have scooped much of what they were after and are broadening their tastes now perhaps) have gone deeper into the 70s and have crossed the line into the 80s and are riding for disco/moder sounds, while a large percentage have gone back to the late 50s and early 60s and are riding for the raw R&B/early soul sound.....I went in the R&B/early soul direction, mainly because Im a rock fan and the roots are to be found in that music, and I prefer that raw sound to the polished stuff...I havent found too many people that have the same enthusiasm for both..what direction did you go in? Discuss...

Comments

• Hard-Bop/Modern jazz ----> Exotica ----> Bossa Nova -----> MPB ----> Brazilian Soul/Disco.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    i went in the 80's direction right away

• Hard-Bop/Modern jazz ----> Exotica ----> Bossa Nova -----> MPB ----> Brazilian Soul/Disco.

you sound white...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the folks collecting soul/funk of late 60s/early 70s vintage back at the beginning of the decade have either now (now that they have scooped much of what they were after and are broadening their tastes now perhaps) have gone deeper into the 70s and have crossed the line into the 80s and are riding for disco/moder sounds, while a large percentage have gone back to the late 50s and early 60s and are riding for the raw R&B/early soul sound.....

I went in the R&B/early soul direction, mainly because Im a rock fan and the roots are to be found in that music, and I prefer that raw sound to the polished stuff...

I havent found too many people that have the same enthusiasm for both..what direction did you go in? Discuss...

I totally understand what you mean - but I think it's more like the killer late 60s/early 70s stuff is just getting tougher-to-find & more expensive( thanks mr manship!), I wish I could say I had scooped all of what I was looking for~! it ain't like the saadia/seven b/stage music etc etc catalog is turning up in dollar bins anymore y'know?

I'm going in both directions - 80s & 50s, 12inches & 78s.

---

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the folks collecting soul/funk of late 60s/early 70s vintage back at the beginning of the decade have either now (now that they have scooped much of what they were after and are broadening their tastes now perhaps) have gone deeper into the 70s and have crossed the line into the 80s and are riding for disco/moder sounds, while a large percentage have gone back to the late 50s and early 60s and are riding for the raw R&B/early soul sound.....

I went in the R&B/early soul direction, mainly because Im a rock fan and the roots are to be found in that music, and I prefer that raw sound to the polished stuff...

I havent found too many people that have the same enthusiasm for both..what direction did you go in? Discuss...

I totally understand what you mean - but I think it's more like the killer late 60s/early 70s stuff is just getting tougher-to-find & more expensive( thanks mr manship!), I wish I could say I had scooped all of what I was looking for~! it ain't like the saadia/seven b/stage music etc etc catalog is turning up in dollar bins anymore y'know?

I'm going in both directions - 80s & 50s, 12inches & 78s.

---

I am running in the direction of books about music as opposed to actually being able to find records these days.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hip-hop --> Breaks --> Funk --> soul --> Modern soul --> Gospel

• Funk --> Afro-beat --> Salsa --> Reggae --> Sweet Soul --> Bossa

However, I never left the 60s-70s. The other decades don't have a fraction of the appeal to me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I went in the R&B/early soul direction, mainly because...I prefer that raw sound to the polished stuff...

• I'm pretty much running in different directions AT ONCE. I'm as likely to buy a fifties doo-wopper as much as I am sixties soul or seventies funk. (I never crossed the line into "modern soul," even though I was a teenager when that stuff was still going strong.) That's not even mentioning my non-R&B tastes (garage, punk, rockabilly, country, surf, etc.). And unlike many here, reissues don't bother me.

So...the direction my tastes are going in? Just call it Stuff That I Like.

• I don't really like to generalize my tastes, but this is the basic progression over the years.

Hip Hop -> Breaks -> Funk -> Soul -> Psych -> International

you sound white...

ya think?

• Beatles---> Power Pop/New Wave ----> Punk ----> garage punk/psyche -----> jazz ------> blues------> soul/funk