pics from Coney Island

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
i went to NYC (and Philly) over the weekend to say goodbye to Coney Island, here are some pics:

Comments

• was this the last weekend?

i'm going to be in ny in 2 weeks

good pics btw

• yeah it was...actually only the kiddie section of Astroland was open, and the Cyclone. I don't think anything will be torn down in 2 weeks, but you may not be able to get into Astroland at all. There was a rally today to try to get them to delay demolition by a year, but I think it's an uphill battle to say the least.

• shit is sad. I saw it in February, knowing it would be the last time (admittedly it was only my 2nd time).

those carnival types shits always give me the creeps, but history is history. sad to see some developers go for profit over anything else.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    My dad grew up going there, being dragged on the rides by his older brother. Wish I'd made it over before all this mess went down. The new plans for it sound awful, building some Vegas style BS over a cultural landmark. They could have done so much better.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    NOOOOO!

This can't be true!
    I love Coney Island.
    I used to go there all the time.
    Mermaid parade every year. Sometimes even off season for a walk on the board walk and some of those disgusting hot dogs.
    First time I rode the Cyclone, I stayed in my seat (first car because you really think it's going to jump out of the tracks in the curves and just handed out money to the conductor until I was flat broke...
    they used to have Punk shows on top of the Freak Show. I saw the Untamed Youth there and it was such a beautiful night.
    Loved the overgrown Thunderbolt. Was kinda spooky, there seemed to be people hanging out in the wooden shack towards the sea and there always were some cops or coplike looking guys wandering around behind the fence.

How can this happen?

This can't be true.

No!

• what is coming down?

• what is coming down?

The Cyclone, Wonder Wheel and another one or two rides are staying up, apart from that everything is coming down. The city is in the process of rezoning the area so they can put in boutique condos and assorted Disneyland type amusement park crap. Yesterday Astroland closed, except for the kids rides. They asked Thor Realty to give them a one year lease until the rezoning was done, and they said sure, for $3 million dollars, Astroland was paying only $180K per year. thor says if Astroland won't pay, they'll find someone else who will.

I went to Coney Island on Labor Day weekend. It was great, won some stuffed animals for the kids, had beers with the wife on the boardwalk, got some ice cream, typical Coney Island afternoon. I'll be honest though, I like City Island better, although I will admit that unless you have a car its a bitch to get to.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I love Coney Island, so much that my band was named Asstroland. Last week I took my kids out there to ride the Log Flume and have a last walk around before they start tearing the rest of it down. From what the locals were saying there may be some hope for another summer, but it's just delaying the inevitable. I hope that the developers get someone with some idea of the bigger picture to at least keep some of the history of the place and not just turn it into a mall like they have with Times Square.

• Pardon me. I thought this was going to feature pictures of Detroit-style hot dogs and such, being that hammertime spends time in Michigan.

• I went a couple weeks ago to hit up all the rides and take some pictures. I am fucking bummed about this shit. Went to CI for the first time when I was 9 with my now wife and father-in-law. I will especially miss the dope disco/house/freestyle mixes they used to play on the bumper cars. When I got in the other day, the first thing they played was "That's The Way Love Is" by Ten City. Shit had me kinda teary-eyed.

• Pardon me. I thought this was going to feature pictures of Detroit-style hot dogs and such, being that hammertime spends time in Michigan.

haha...well, we DID eat some hot dogs on the trip.

and of course cheesesteaks in Philly.

and I'm still bruised from riding the Cyclone...unfortunately the Wonder Wheel, Dante's Inferno, etc were already shut down.